Heater hose

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Doctor G
0.7 Bar Boost

Heater hose

Post by Doctor G »

So mine sprung a tiny leak which squirts water when the car is hot.

It's the one looking like a "U" against the firewall near the turbo. Anyone know where I can get this aftermarket? Nissan = R220

Speed breeder
0.7 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Post by Speed breeder »

Hey doc...mine burst completely in September last year, but not on the turbo side, there is also one on the intake side which is a bit more tricky to get to...it almost seems easier to remove the motor to get to this spot than it is to work in that tiny space to replace the pipe there.

Anyway what I did was use straight heater hose and connect it to a U aluminium piece of tube that luckily I had.

Basically what you need is new heater hose to replace the whole length - should be about R30 - R50 for 1m (Goodyear stuff at Midas/Autozone).
Also try plumbers for "U" type bends in copper or similar places... maybe you even have something at home.

My idea was just to ensure that the straight heater hose is not bent in any way.

Will take a pic tomorrow and post.

I don't think anything could go wrong with using the alluminium or even copper u flow as I have.

I think the only option is DIY or MacGuyver moves in order to save the $$$
I found and also
200sx CA18DET S13 - forged and flowed

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

Speed breeder wrote:I found and also
huh???

i did the same thing on the U-shaped heater hose on a ca18 that i built for a mate last year! it was also on the intake side though. i also had to replace the same hose on my ca18 last year! i nearly pulled the motor out to do it too, but i managed in the end - although it took about 3 hours to replace that hose!

i still have some of the steel hose bends left after that build. they really work quite well.

you welcome to come get one!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

VoodooMaster
Slipping Clutch

Post by VoodooMaster »

yo Doc. If you don't feel like making a Macgyver move then simply remove your pipe and go down to your local spares shop and try to match your pipe to what they have available. They might not have the exact same pipe but something similar in shape for some other car.
The only thing better than going FAST,
Is Going FAST SIDEWAYS.

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

i also found and also

Doctor G
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by Doctor G »

Thanks for the info.

I pulled the U-pipe that I thought was leaking this morning. It's on the turbo side of the motor and also a biatch to get to. Hand and arm scraped in a million little places (Guess that's how you would identify a fellow sx owner in a pub :lol: )

After it was off I inspected it for leaks. F0koll!!! WTF.

So I proceed to the next heater hose. This is the long one with the many bends that reaches from the one side of the motor, through behind it, and then attaches on the intake side somewhere near the starter. After about an hour I got the biatch out. Check it for leaks, Nothing! Check the U pipe I removed first again and whallah :shock: gaping little tiny hole.

Very pi$$ed off at this stage for removing a k@k pipe for nothing.

On to the spares shop and as you guess nothing in that shape. The U is not a prob but the one tip which bends in a different direction makes it akward to find.

So went back home, reainstalled the long pipe and simply connected it to where the U pipe originates instead of into the heater pipe in the firewall.
So effectively I took the heater out of the loop for now.

The copper U pipe sounds like a good idea to me. I think the fact that the pipe is so close to the exhaust manifold means it will always be suseptable to heating, cracking etc.

Still wanna see the pics pls.

Speed breeder
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by Speed breeder »

vc, widow understands, whats wrong wiff u?
200sx CA18DET S13 - forged and flowed

HancoB
SX Forumholic

Post by HancoB »

Mine burst too. I jacked the car up, took off the burst pipe, went to midas, matched a same size and bend pipe, fitted it and voila! Bobs your uncle!

Cost me R26.

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

HancoB wrote:Mine burst too. I jacked the car up, took off the burst pipe, went to midas, matched a same size and bend pipe, fitted it and voila! Bobs your uncle!

Cost me R26.
part number for everyone please???

thanks!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

HancoB
SX Forumholic

Post by HancoB »

Dont have a clue! It was too long so I just cut it shorter and it worked.

It was a pipe on the inlet side close to the firewall.

Next time I will do so.