Hardbody Engine Swap

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Valince
Car: Other
Engine: VG

Hardbody Engine Swap

Post by Valince »

Hey guys,

I have recently owned a 200sx but sold it a while ago.

I have inherited a 2003 3.3v6 DC hardbody. I have driven this thing from the 64,000km that I received it on till now 190,000km with no major problems yet.

I need to do a cam belt change and I need to have a oil leak looked at the backend, and the tappets are clapping hands in the morning and dont seem to shut up till much later than normal.

I want to do a swap. Was thinking a SR20DET, RB25DET, VG30DET.

I have NO experience in doing swaps so i need some advice. Has anyone done or seen or know of a hardbody sway like toe above mentioned?
Will the motors even fit in?
Approximate cost?

Thanks guys,
Arnold

VegetaSSJ4
0.2 Bar Boost
Engine: RB

Re: Hardbody Engine Swap

Post by VegetaSSJ4 »

VG30DETT wil fit like a glove.

My 2c
---------SKYLINE---------
(O O) - - R33 - - (O O)
----------FTW!!!!----------

Valince

Post by Valince »

Thanks,

You know of anyone that could do the conversion for me?

BigKriss
SX Forumholic
Car: S14

Post by BigKriss »

Arnold, unless you are Nissan specific I`d look at the Lexus V8 .Seriously.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator
Car: S13

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

im with bigkriss
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

rat
Administrator
Car: R32

Post by rat »

any vg30 should drop in.

Saw a old hardbody with a rb25 in there. The guy was saying better fuel consumption and power then the stock vg30e

1uz is going into every bakkie out there, they cheap and strong not much kw but lots of torque.

What do you want to do with the Hardbody? eg: drift, daily
Hot Plates are Sexy

phoenix s14
Over Boosting
Engine: SR

Post by phoenix s14 »

Don't like hybreeds :lol: so VG30DETT all the way. Ask Charl he seems to have them just laying around... :lol: as for who... ummm don't know - I don't trust anyone :lol:
Weight kills all the fun - Jeremy Clarkson

Valince

Post by Valince »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I have decided to bite the bullet and source a RB25.

I got a price for a RB and a Fatboy box for R16K, not sure if its a good price or not.

Work is going to cost close to if not over 30K. (Rough Estimate from a Tuner in PTA)

I like the v8 but fuel is going to be nuts.....

I want to have a daily driver but one thats fast, want to pwn the ST and GTi noobs out there. =P
( Hence I owned a Type R )

I also read that the VQ30 will drop in no problem. I got a price for 2 of them for R10k with a box.

=P

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

1) The 1UZ will use less fuel than the RB25 (this is dependent on tuning, driving style, etc but will be true for almost all cases)

2) The 1UZ will be cheaper to maintain - and you can get OEM parts from Toyota SA. Sourcing parts for the RB25 is going to be much more difficult.

3) The engine characteristics of the 1UZ will suit the bakkie way better than the turbo RB engine.

4) I don't get why you would swop out an engine that has clearly been very reliable rather than just rebuilding it when the time comes - but that is your choice.
Image S13 CA18DET, NIStune and...oh wait no that's gone..... Image

BigKriss
SX Forumholic

Post by BigKriss »

Enzio wrote:1) The 1UZ will use less fuel than the RB25 (this is dependent on tuning, driving style, etc but will be true for almost all cases)

2) The 1UZ will be cheaper to maintain - and you can get OEM parts from Toyota SA. Sourcing parts for the RB25 is going to be much more difficult.

3) The engine characteristics of the 1UZ will suit the bakkie way better than the turbo RB engine.

4) I don't get why you would swop out an engine that has clearly been very reliable rather than just rebuilding it when the time comes - but that is your choice.

Agree with every single point here. RB is NOT good on fuel, no matter what.

Grobblere
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by Grobblere »

Why do you want to build in another motor?

If i was you i would have a look if the Vg30 heads fit on you 3.3 Then i would buy a set of forged pistons to lower the compression to 9:0, redo the whole motor and fit a single T3/4 or two T28's on the block. Would also cost you around R30k but allot less mods and the car would be on the road allot quicker. You will still have the torque of the V6 on low revs but on the higher side the turbos would make it a awesome cruzer or basher.

The Cheapest option would be to buy the VG30 single turbo motor (R9500) and just work from that. The motor already has semi-forged pistons, 4 valve cylinder heads and already run a singel turbo which you can upgrade if neeeded. Should be basically a direct fit besides the management which would obviously need to be replaced to run the turbo motor

godzilla
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by godzilla »

JUst saw this post . Valiance u pmed me and i gave u a mouth full to think over lol. but here is my 5c for the rest of the guys. the engine bay of your 3.3 is the same size as as the D21(old box shape) ive had both. most any motor will fit in anywere if u have enough money patience and time.we have droped a rb20 and rb25 in the D21 , i have seen 1uz(lexus v8) 1jz,2jz ,vg30dett,vg30det,vg30et and some others too fit into a nissan bakkie.There is a np300 runing around capetown with a rb26dett but ive never seen it.
rb25det needs the firewall slightly masaged to clear in the back ,ull loose the viscous fan and ull need to move your radiator forward with 1 or 2 electric fans. management of coice and u should be good plus rb box. if u dont have the rb box a sr20det box will work but ull need a rb20bel housing or a rb20box but they cant take the punishment of a rb25 fatbox.if u can find a rb25fat box bell housing u could use a vg30/33box. the 2.4 bakkie box will also work but ull have to slot 1 or 2 hole on the bell housing BUT the gearing is crap in this box.
VG30dett will drop in BUT the turbos, steering colmn and top of suspention will fight for the same space. ull need top mount turbo manis to clear here.the motor should bolt up to the bakkies box. there are some other issues but not too hectic maybe some trimming of the inner fender under the bonnet.
1uz has some issues but so do most other motors.u can use a 21R(W58 i think) box with 1uz to 21R bell housing.
1jz/2jz just as long as RB so same masage rules apply.21R gearbox with 1jz/2jz to 21R bell housing.
there are other issues like engine moutings, clearances, gearbox,and gearbox mounts, management, radiator,fans, piping if u go turbo route,wireing, etc etc.
Now u already driving a 3.3 so fuel consumption isint the issue. but if what ever motor is setup properly it can be as frugel as your rightfoot allows. if its setup as a daily and not a speed monster u could have some reasonable results . but believe me and ask the guys here once u have a 6cylender and its turbo charged sounding sooooo good ull quickly chase after that sound and any hope of resonable fuel consuption goes flying out the exhast hehehe.
but i promise u,ull love driving it, its fast different and scares the shit out of the neighbours.
and please get better brakes, yes u have 2 pods up front ,but still drums on the back. 4 pod r33gts bolts straightup. im working on a rear disc conversion for my d21,i just hate rear drums.
sideways forever....

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

All I see is a bunch of letters...
Image S13 CA18DET, NIStune and...oh wait no that's gone..... Image