URGENT S14

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

CHUCKY

URGENT S14

Post by CHUCKY »

HI IM AM ON THE LOOK OUT FOR A S14 TURBO WITH MANIFOLD MUST BE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION,BTW I HAV A BIGGER SIDE MOUNT INTERCOOLER WILL I GET ALOT OF TURBO LAG AND THE S14 TURBO WILL I FEEL THE POWER DIFFERENCE ON MY S13? THANKS

Vince
0.1 Bar Boost
Car: R34
Engine: RB

Post by Vince »

why do want the sr20 manifold, coz it wont fit on the ca18

Slide 'em Wide
0.6 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Post by Slide 'em Wide »

Hi, Vince is correct, the sr manifold wont work on the ca.

The sr turbo that came on the "hump back" sr20 is the preferable turbo 2 get. The early sr20's ran a t25. so the same as what you have. The t28 that came later is a single ball bearing turbo, and it is well respected. the other option is the gt28rs(please note that you also get a gt30rs and so on) that is a dual bb turbo. Which if you have the cash, is a better upgrade. not 100hp difference to the sr20 t28 but it is better technology. if you have the chance contact charrel at turbo toys. I am not saying he is the Guru to end all guru's. he is honest! And that is why i keep bugging him!

Hope you come right!

What Id rather be dooing!

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac
Engine: SR

Post by Charlvdw »

Didnt we decide a gt30 is a bit big for a ca?

Slide 'em Wide
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by Slide 'em Wide »

Sorry i was moonlighting on days of our lives and missed that episode!

I think if set up with the right ar etc that with the ball bearings it will spool up well. My mate has a 1400 uno that spools a td04 which is a t4 basically and makes good power low down and boosts 1 bar from 2k rpm. So if a 1400 can run a t4 then by all means an 1800 can run a t3, just get the setup right!

jon
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by jon »

The t25 on the CA and the t25g on the early SR are not the same. The first gen s14 came with a journal bearing t28 and only the second gen s14 and s15 had the ball bearing t28. As far as I know they’re all a direct fit onto the CA manifold as long as the turbo has a t25 flange which the stock turbo will have on both the CA and the SR.

Plot the gt3071r compressor map and the results will clearly show that it won't spool till very late on the CA. The gt30r aka gt3076r flows more air and will spool even later. The CA is a peaky motor. For drag racing it would be great but for street use the gt28rs is king on the CA.

Lastly the td04 is not a Garrett t4. It is made by a completely different manufacturer (I think it's Mitsubishi, can't remember) and shouldn't be confused with Garrett naming conventions.
Diesel power, hmm, yes, I think I'll have some of that.

Slide 'em Wide
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by Slide 'em Wide »

yes the tdo4 is mitsu. The guy i asked related to me that it is similar to the t4 in size respect. hence my deduction of the right ar housing will improve the spooling effect.

I have not gone and studied the turbo's just helping a fellow with what i had...

my turbo is stock and has a single bb if i am not mistaken on the exhaust side and journal bearing on the other side. the s15 has the dual bb turbo. the pre 95 sr's ran t25. have no idea about the g thang! afaik the kouki or s14 a had the same mechanicals and turbo as the zenki or s14b. the tell tail sign is that the power as quoted by nissan jumped from 147 to +-180kw from s14 to the s15 respectively.

As far as flow etc goes i know less than snails when it comes to turbo's so I agree that the t28 from the s14 is good and Hanco fitted the disco potato and he changes his underwear after every drive, he creams his rods and smiles like a loon.

jon
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by jon »

I couldn't find an exact comparison but a td04 is similar to t28 in sizing.
Diesel power, hmm, yes, I think I'll have some of that.

Upetr

Td04 and T4 sizing

Post by Upetr »

Hi, I just joined to shed some light on the turbos.
The TD04 is a range of Mitsu turbos - not the same frame size as the T4. In fact stay away from a T4 unless you want a full drag car (or you have a 4l engine or larger). The T3/T4 hybrids are ok - but they are bigger and laggier.

I have a T3/T4 on my s14 57Trim comp wheel with stage 3 turbine and AR/0.48 on the rear to make it more responsive. T3/T4 is basically a T4 front with a T3 turbine and rear housing to reduce lag and make it boost sooner. That turbo has a 75mm compressor wheel which is huge compared to the T3 comp wheel used on the T28. The T28 on the s14 is 60mm. However the Td04 is even smaller than the stock s14 turbo.

Here are specs for the Td04 - there are different versions of it too. Taken of a site - but I can't post links on my first post so copied from srtforums

Stock TD04-16G
Inducer: 1.71”
Exducer: 2.21” (56mm) bigger than T25 but smaller than T28

The T3/T4 gets going about 700-800 rpm later than the T28.

I also used the Ball Bearing Turbo from the latest RB25det. That had a 66 or 67mm comp wheel but it was made out of a plastic type of a material and part of the turbine was lightweight ceramic. Very responsive and got moving real quick - but it didn't like boosting close to 1 bar for too long and I found the turbine wheel just before the last silencer....

The bigger turbo does make more power at the same boost btw.
The TD04 is similar to the stock T25 units btw.

Just one note - a T3/T4 can have about 50 different configurations - so they're not all created equal.

Different manufacturers use different materials, different amount of blades on the comp and turbine wheels and then there are like 10 different compressor wheels and more than 5 different size shafts etc...

Sorry about getting carried away on my first post...