Boost with no power!

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

ClasS13st
Slipping Clutch
Car: S13

Boost with no power!

Post by ClasS13st »

Hey everybody

Coming off the highway yesterday, my first boost, it sounded like a pipe slipped off - like a sudden escape of air- and then the power backed way down like i lifted off the throttle. i guess i was anticipating the boost so the feeling was exaggerated.
My turbo is still boosting like a beautiful little snail by the sounds of it, my car feels ABSOLUTELY normal on lower RPM but that boost just isn't going into the engine.
My cuz (studying mech engineering) said that if it was a leak in the boost pipes that when i'm boosting, at high RPM is should run rich and i'll get black smoke coming out the back. uhm that doesn't happen, there's no smoke at all.

I've not thoroughly checked the plumbing but everything is still connected. Could it be a slit in a part of the silicone hosing that doesn't leak at low pressure but lets boost escape?

To summarise:
- Massive power-loss at high RPM (5000RPM upward - it climbs nicely till then & plateaus, even drops cause of higher air demand??)
- It sounds like the turbo is boosting perfectly.
- The car is perfect at low RPM
- There was a sound when 'IT' suddenly happened, like air escaping, like a dump-valve.
- There is no sound of air escaping when i'm trying to boost. Maybe the sound of the turbo boosting drowns out the sound of the air escaping?

rat
Administrator
Car: R32
Engine: RB

Boost with no power!

Post by rat »

Have you checked timing?
Hot Plates are Sexy

NIZAN-R
Over Boosting

Re: Boost with no power!

Post by NIZAN-R »

turn off the boost controler and try go for a drive .
was it on high boost?
She is not the CA that could be
She is the CA that IS
(O=O)/RS13\(O=O)
"if you only need one jack to raise your car, then your car isn't low enough"
"EVERYDAY I'M FLUTTERING!"

ClasS13st
Slipping Clutch

Post by ClasS13st »

can it do that rat? timing just go while driving? it drives perfect down low so me suspects its not timing but i don't know much.
i'll give turning the boost controller off a try. it was on its low setting which has been set for the cars tuning.
*tear tear* this is bleaking me and i don't want to take it to a mechanic.
i have to replace the front crank case seal anyway and that'll require removal of all the boost pipes and redo the timing so hopefully that'll help me find the problem.
will anybody help me? i'll offer R1000 labour. it's not much but i'll drive the car out to you.

NIZAN-R
Over Boosting

Post by NIZAN-R »

also look if your wastgate holding clip did not come off causing the wast gate arm to come off
She is not the CA that could be
She is the CA that IS
(O=O)/RS13\(O=O)
"if you only need one jack to raise your car, then your car isn't low enough"
"EVERYDAY I'M FLUTTERING!"

ClasS13st
Slipping Clutch

Post by ClasS13st »

ja uhm... *blush*
it's fixed. all i had to do was tighten the silicon hosing clamps. i always jump to the worst conclusions.
getting like edges welded onto each piece next week to help really seal it.
there is now however a slight ticking noise coming from the turbo side of the engine, sounds like its coming from the turbo itself. it sounds very 'natural' though like the normal idle sound with the treble turned up slightly.
it's also only at idle and just above. from like 2000RPM onwards it's smooth and sexy as ever. power is back up to it's fantastic norm.

any ideas? (i know i'm a noob but i'm so passionate about S13's and drifting it's like a love affair, the mechanics of the car turn me on just as much, I NEED TO LEARN!)

[smilie=200sx_200sx.gif]

ClasS13st
Slipping Clutch

Post by ClasS13st »

DAMN just took her up that hill past hyper-rama up to roodepoort. dunno the road name, i'm sure you know what i'm talking about. my little S13 had 6 people in it, including me!!!!!! She pulls so fucking strong it put a smile on all of our faces.
she looses traction without the weight so i never really realised how powerful my pig is. all that weight and the uphill didn't seem to make any difference.

oh and the ticking noise is completely gone. everything seems good, i'll listen for it again when the car is cold tomorrow.
:-D 200SX's make me so unbelievably happy. now i just need to find some vacant parking spots to practise drifting.
is project drift spot sa still going and being updated?

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

the rock every wed night open drift practice! [smilie=200sx_rockon.gif]
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

ClasS13st
Slipping Clutch

Post by ClasS13st »

Awesome!
I have polyurethane bushes, stut braces, c-pillar brace and some custom brace on the front of the chassis where the two beams bend inward - if that explanation is satisfactory - and stock suspention. Can i go drifting with that? Is there a chance i will roll it?

Also there is a bit of play on the c-pillar and rear strut brack. it only when i push it forward and backwards there's obviously no horizontal play like pushing into the mounts. is that good enough or do they need to be tight, tight?

Drillergy
SX Forumholic
Engine: SR

Post by Drillergy »

ClasS13st wrote:DAMN just took her up that hill past hyper-rama up to roodepoort. dunno the road name, i'm sure you know what i'm talking about. my little S13 had 6 people in it, including me!!!!!! She pulls so /////// strong it put a smile on all of our faces.
she looses traction without the weight so i never really realised how powerful my pig is. all that weight and the uphill didn't seem to make any difference.

oh and the ticking noise is completely gone. everything seems good, i'll listen for it again when the car is cold tomorrow.
:-D 200SX's make me so unbelievably happy. now i just need to find some vacant parking spots to practise drifting.
is project drift spot sa still going and being updated?

14th Avenue..
Awesome stretch but very unforgiving, bud rolled a toyota at the bottom,
HTF did you fit 6 people in a S13 with a C-Pillar brace????

ClasS13st
Slipping Clutch

Post by ClasS13st »

yea it's 14th avenue!
i had one girl in the passenger, a dude and two girls in the back and a seven year old sitting across them. hehehe 8)
i felt kinda bad for my seats though but i have a set of stock ones wrapped in leather that i wanna drop in.
best get this kinda shit out the way before the nice seats are in :!:

anybody play Forza IV? anybody fiddled with sway bar stiffness on the 240SX on there? i wanna set it up for drift, some hints?

ClasS13st
Slipping Clutch

Post by ClasS13st »

OMG! 7 people in the car today!! really wasn't intentional but due to certain parental issues all needed to be in the car. didn't have time to drop anybody off before picking up the last two. 4 in the back three in the front. FCUK TEH WAHT?

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

i play forza but havnt really messed to much around with the tunning. you play online?
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

ClasS13st
Slipping Clutch

Post by ClasS13st »

nah don't have an account. i play x-box, it's nowhere near a cable.

Vince
0.1 Bar Boost
Car: R34
Engine: RB

Post by Vince »

You can drift a stock S13 no problem