Turbo exhaust fins in exhaust pipe!?

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Turbo exhaust fins in exhaust pipe!?

Post by troopiec »

Hi Guys, well a couple nights ago i took my girl friend out to watch a movie, my car isnt driven much as i dont have much petrol money, anyways i drove from my house to cavindish which is about 10km, i did not even boost the car once and just strolled along. I parked the car and we went off. Later when we left somewhere along the way back i noticed a strange rattling noise coming from the back somewhere. I went back home and it continued, if i revved it up i could hear it, i have an aftermarket 76mm free flow so i thought maybe something was touching, so i got under the car tonight and looked around and couldnt see anything loose or odd, so i knocked the exhaust from underneath and it sounds like something metalic rattling around inside the exhaust :facepalm:

Why all of a sudden would this happen if it is fins from the turbo? This is a presumably low milage import motor from japan auto traders and im running good shell helix ultra oil and the oil is full up, i dont drive the car hard either. But when i do boost it now it does not really feel like its lost power.

I will take off the whole exhaust tomorow and see what comes out. but what do you guys think?

rat
Administrator
Car: R32
Engine: RB

Re: Turbo exhaust fins in exhaust pipe!?

Post by rat »

you would know if it is a turbo fin
Hot Plates are Sexy

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

:lol: great news, it was just the centre exhaust mounting that had come loose and all the washers were rattling like crayze, thank goodness it was nothing serious. I know i thought the worst but ive learnt its better to expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised when its nothing than to think of all the small things and then see its something even bigger lol, specially with such a car.

BigKriss
SX Forumholic
Car: S14
Engine: RB

Post by BigKriss »

troopiec wrote::lol: great news, it was just the centre exhaust mounting that had come loose and all the washers were rattling like crayze, thank goodness it was nothing serious. I know i thought the worst but ive learnt its better to expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised when its nothing than to think of all the small things and then see its something even bigger lol, specially with such a car.

:facepalm:

Adrian
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Adrian »

BigKriss wrote:
troopiec wrote::lol: great news, it was just the centre exhaust mounting that had come loose and all the washers were rattling like crayze, thank goodness it was nothing serious. I know i thought the worst but ive learnt its better to expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised when its nothing than to think of all the small things and then see its something even bigger lol, specially with such a car.

:facepalm:
be nice Barry its probably still got the ca in it..........

well at least its sorted now

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

:lol: yip still got the CA in, havent had serious problems yet as it was an import motor and should be decent health, but the previous owners who instealled the import motor didnt bother checking or changing the cambelt as they shouldve and it was missing a bit when i got it, aswell as the fpr and the feul pump were shot, but ohwell, sorted all those issues and so far so good.

Adrian
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Adrian »

Yea so far so good.... Trust me when it pops get a rb or sr