GT28 for CA18

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Car: S13
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

Like Barry, I still believe your problem lies at the wastegate
sig[/sig]

arno
Slipping Clutch

Post by arno »

Daniel wrote:Like Barry, I still believe your problem lies at the wastegate
just spoke to the guy that is gonna dyno it for me - he said 4mm is a lot of tension on the wastegate. i checked for leaks now and there is nothing. let me remove the vacuum pipe on the actuator - i will update you shortly.

I removed the vacuum pipe from the actuator - still same result.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

I am also of the opinion something is wrong with the wastegate, the exhaust housing is larger and would mean slightly later spool but not what you are experiencing.

2 things I can think of.. 1:I suspect either the wastegate "flap" is not sealing the wastegate hole properly because of angle or the hole is off centre meanaing the wastegate "flap" is bypassed easier.

2: the journal bearings are bighting the shaft for some reason....start the car and let it idle, then look into the compressor intake and see whether the wheel spins....if it doesn't, let someone rev a bit and see if it starts spinning....that could mean that something is bent ot wrong not allowing free spooling....

arno
Slipping Clutch

Post by arno »

Draco wrote:I am also of the opinion something is wrong with the wastegate, the exhaust housing is larger and would mean slightly later spool but not what you are experiencing.

2 things I can think of.. 1:I suspect either the wastegate "flap" is not sealing the wastegate hole properly because of angle or the hole is off centre meanaing the wastegate "flap" is bypassed easier.

2: the journal bearings are bighting the shaft for some reason....start the car and let it idle, then look into the compressor intake and see whether the wheel spins....if it doesn't, let someone rev a bit and see if it starts spinning....that could mean that something is bent ot wrong not allowing free spooling....
I removed the air filter now, the wheel spins at idle....even spins after i have switched off the ignition. I also left the oil return off after I mounted the turbo to be sure oil gets to the shaft. all in order - i'm starting to think there is something wrong with this turbo....

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

arno wrote:
Draco wrote:I am also of the opinion something is wrong with the wastegate, the exhaust housing is larger and would mean slightly later spool but not what you are experiencing.

I removed the air filter now, the wheel spins at idle....even spins after i have switched off the ignition. I also left the oil return off after I mounted the turbo to be sure oil gets to the shaft. all in order - i'm starting to think there is something wrong with this turbo....
Then there can only be fault with the wastegate.....and the only way to check is to take off the turbo again...u say you are sure there are no boost leaks?

arno
Slipping Clutch

Post by arno »

Draco wrote:
arno wrote:

Then there can only be fault with the wastegate.....and the only way to check is to take off the turbo again...u say you are sure there are no boost leaks?
sure there are no leaks, if I close my air intake the motor dies and the negative presure sticks. what if there is a design or manufacturing fault on the tubine wheel / compressor wheel....or are these turbos tested before packing?

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Anything is possible...did you guys disassemble the turbo before you installed it....

arno
Slipping Clutch

Post by arno »

Draco wrote:Anything is possible...did you guys disassemble the turbo before you installed it....
nope, only rotated the bearing housing to match water and oil pipes.

Well let me start stripping again - I'm convinced that my exhaust housing/turbine is too big after checking everything. The guy from mr turbo says he had customers putting bigger turbo's on their CA18.....I'm not buying it.... can't believe it after what i'm experiencing. Thanks for all the advise guys.

I appreciate.

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

remove the feed to the actuator and jam the wastegate closed. Then take it for a drive, be careful though cause if it boosts like it should the only thing controlling it is your foot.
sig[/sig]

phoenix s14
Over Boosting
Car: S14
Engine: SR

Post by phoenix s14 »

Daniel wrote:remove the feed to the actuator and jam the wastegate closed. Then take it for a drive, be careful though cause if it boosts like it should the only thing controlling it is your foot.
I did the same thing when I tested my turbo since I thought mine was too small. I kept the throttle only lightly open until 5000rpm and then jammed the throttle fully open and the boost only got to like 0.4bar. The turbo was hence too small since at lower RPM I could get 0.8 and 1.0 bar.

I have also fitted one of these turbos you have on my SR now and it is a bit laggy. I spool from 3200 to 3500 and get full boost around 4000rpm. to help this I am going to be wrapping my exhaust mani, fitting a turbo blanket and gonna play with cam setups a bit.

I would imagine the turbo is big for the CA and you will probably need to do some work to help spool. I would also lock the wastegate closed with a suitable bracket and check where it spools from and what boost you can get. :wink:
Weight kills all the fun - Jeremy Clarkson

phoenix s14
Over Boosting

Post by phoenix s14 »

Oh and if it is really too big you goto get a TB28. just make sure you get one with the 47mm/48mm T3 wheel. Should be more than ample for the CA. BTW I have a TB28 which needs a recon which I am selling for R1500.
Should work lekker on CA.

arno
Slipping Clutch

Post by arno »

phoenix s14 wrote:Oh and if it is really too big you goto get a TB28. just make sure you get one with the 47mm/48mm T3 wheel. Should be more than ample for the CA. BTW I have a TB28 which needs a recon which I am selling for R1500.
Should work lekker on CA.
Hi Phoenix, I took the turbo to the guy that dyno's for me - he had one look at it and said it was too big! on my CA it will only start coming out of vacuum at around 4500rpm and started picking up boost at 5000 and 0.5bar at 7000rpm......ridiculous... felt like standard car without a turbo. I took it back to mr turbo and had to pay in another 1K for the tb28 because I drove the car once with the GT28... now I have to change my exhaust flange and shit - will yours fit the CA or is it like the one i purchased? also doesn't have water cooling. I think the SR produces more exhaust gasses to drive the turbine .

arno
Slipping Clutch

Post by arno »

Hopefully I'll be using Phoenix's Slogan soon!!!

phoenix s14
Over Boosting

Post by phoenix s14 »

LOL! had to change my bolt pattern for the downpipe when I fitted the TB28 but changed it back again for the GT28... so it is different

CHRISTO123
Slipping Clutch

Post by CHRISTO123 »

Hi Arno. listen carefully , you might be upset but here goes !

stop buying " grey scrap " / copies / cheap chinese jobs from shops who sell these " fake Garret turbo`s "

IT WILL ALMOST ALWAYS COST YOU MORE MONEY & PAIN. I run an Original Garret GT2871R BALL BEARING TURBO on my CA18DET , purchased from Turbo Direct in Meyerton ( speak to Chris ) They are the official agents for Garret Turbos. The current rand/usd rate is good , so expect to pay approx. R 8 000 - 00 excl. vat .

Although i run a special equal length top mount manifold & lots of other special parts & HALTECH Management ( NOT Dictator !!!!!!!!!! ) , my GT2871R COMES ON SONG AT APPROX 3800 Rpm & boosts 1 . 3 bar tuned for pump gas 95 ul & making 440 Bhp @ the motor.

Once you have the correct hardware & software , tune with the best / people who know the game / reputable tuners ! ( i used Steve @ No Sweat Racing IN Meyerton )

GOOD LUCk & Regards ,
CHRISTO

VEREENIGING.