ca18det cutting out

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

robldepo
0.2 Bar Boost
Car: S13

ca18det cutting out

Post by robldepo »

Hi guys plees help if possible

i just bought my first S13 and shes a beauty just having some hickups with performance

when u drive the car as a human shes fine but as soon as i start pushing the car it sounds like a car backfireing through the carburator.

so there is this pop sound under the bonnet at about 4500 rpm and as soon as it does that it also pushes a black ball of smoke out the exhaust and then the car dies, if you leave the car for about an hour she wil start again and u can drive it as a human. again as soon as you push the car it all happens again.

the car is stock standard from engine to exhaust no mods whatsoever

i changed the airflow meter plugs oil oil filter and petrol filter and still no change.

i cant seem to find a simmilar problem on the forum or maybe i am just looking in the wrong places can anyone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Re: ca18det cutting out

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

hey buddy welcome sorry to hear u got issues. first off these cars are electronic injection motors and do not have carburators. but by the sounds of your problem your car is over fueling badly check for any leaks in your vacuum lines bosst pipes exhaust mani ect. i would check to see if your engine coolant temp sensor is not faulty
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

NIZAN-R
Over Boosting

Post by NIZAN-R »

also inspect coilpacks for cracks
She is not the CA that could be
She is the CA that IS
(O=O)/RS13\(O=O)
"if you only need one jack to raise your car, then your car isn't low enough"
"EVERYDAY I'M FLUTTERING!"

rat
Administrator
Car: R32
Engine: RB

Post by rat »

Backfire through intake sounds like. Could be timing. Belt or CAS.
Hot Plates are Sexy

robldepo
0.2 Bar Boost

Post by robldepo »

thanks for the welcome guys its good to be apart of something :wink:

dude i know the car doesnt have a carb i only used that as an example cause ive never heard a fuel injected car backfire through the intake lol my bad though i should have used a better example. engine coolant temp sensor is a good question and ill tell you why for some reason they have locked the viscus fan with a bolt could that indicate that the sensor is maybe faulty?

ill check the coilpacks for cracks i forgot to do that,is there any way one could test your coilpacks to see if they work properly?

as far as CAS goes i dont know mutch about that so ill have to take it to someone to check out.

thanks for all your help so far now i have a few things to do tonight like checking for leaks and inspecting the coilpacks ill let u guys know how it goes.

anyone know of a good tuner in the westrand area that can Dyno the car for me?

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac
Engine: SR

Post by Charlvdw »

It might be your fuel pump packing up.
197rwkw ,376nm

smash!!
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by smash!! »

hey bud did u manage to sort the problem out if so what was it??

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

smash!! wrote:hey bud did u manage to sort the problem out if so what was it??
+1
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

robldepo
0.2 Bar Boost

Post by robldepo »

Hi guys sorry havnt been on the forum for a while, nope i havnt sorted out the problem yet ive done everything accept change the fuel pump thats my next step and also on the coilpacks harnas there is a short black wire that i think is an earth but as soon as you touch that wire eish it shocks you it actualy gives a spark about 1cm long if it touches the body?

so now i am looking for a proper pump that can handle punishment, any ideas?

thanks guys wil keep you up to date

rat
Administrator
Car: R32

Post by rat »

Walbro pump.
Hot Plates are Sexy

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

robldepo wrote:Hi guys sorry havnt been on the forum for a while, nope i havnt sorted out the problem yet ive done everything accept change the fuel pump thats my next step and also on the coilpacks harnas there is a short black wire that i think is an earth but as soon as you touch that wire eish it shocks you it actualy gives a spark about 1cm long if it touches the body?

so now i am looking for a proper pump that can handle punishment, any ideas?

thanks guys wil keep you up to date
There should be a black wire loop at the connector for the coil loom to the engine harnass, and there should be a black earth wire with a ring terminal that should be earthed via one of the small screws securing the coilpack "frame" to the head.
No wonder you are having spark issues.
Image S13 CA18DET, NIStune and...oh wait no that's gone..... Image

Daniel
200SX Maniac

Post by Daniel »

robldepo wrote: also on the coilpacks harnas there is a short black wire that i think is an earth but as soon as you touch that wire eish it shocks you it actualy gives a spark about 1cm long if it touches the body?
Yeah that's a ground, I've had the same problem on my car. It doesn't run too well when its not connected.
Were you at Darryl's house the Saturday before last? I had the same conversation with someone then.
sig[/sig]

robldepo
0.2 Bar Boost

Post by robldepo »

yes Daniel it was me at Darryls house we came to pick up the carbon fibre boot spoiler for Armand. Enzio i see there is a loop at the plug where it plugs into the engine harnas and there is that short black wire but there is no terminal on it looks like it was broken off but the thing that worries me is that this short black wire sparks like it i showd Daniel the video clip on my phone at Darryls house ask him its not just a spark its like that wire is n plug lead on its own is that right?

just a heads up guys ive been going through old posts on this forum and ive come acros a lot of things thats helped me so far. Sweeeeeeeeeet