SR20 pops Dipstick under boost

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Fokstrot
Car: S13
Engine: SR

SR20 pops Dipstick under boost

Post by Fokstrot »

Hi guys. i am new to this club!! Bought a sx S13 with SR20 a while ago. But i noticed a serious oil leak and found that the dipstick pops out en then pushes oil out. The guy i bought the car from told me that the motor was redone about 12 000 km ago. I am not that much experienced in turbo cars. But the breather and oil catch setup seems to be fine.

Quick description of setup in car.

T-Piece on tappet cover, one side is a breather filter, other side goes to oil catch can via a long pipe. Another pipe from oil catch can via very long pipe back into block/Sump. The last pipe I mentioned does rise very high going almost OVER the ABS unit.

Could you guys please assist me. The car runs like a dream on 0.5Bar and I have no other issues. But it looks bad cause theres smoke coming from underneath the car, oil leaks where ever i stop and I know it could be a quick fix.

I will add a picture to give you guys an idea. the pipe right behind the Wastegate is the one returning from the oil catch can to the block.

Thanx guys.
Attachments
$(KGrHqJ,!hIFBc3rpYRzBQkmfTSNgw~~48_20-1.jpeg

k.y.l.e.
Over Boosting
Engine: RB

Re: SR20 pops Dipstick under boost

Post by k.y.l.e. »

Hey buddy sounds like you getting compression in your sump wich is due to piston ring issue maybe piston rings worn out and piston ring end gap is to big and compression is escaping into your sump, also check the pcv valve. A bad valve causes this.hope this helps buddy [smilie=200sx_200sx.gif]
My LuGnuts have more torque than your honda.
EX=toyota corolla 160i 93'model
Current car=s13 200sx with s14 motor sr20det v.v.t.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

Fokstrot wrote:Hi guys. i am new to this club!! Bought a sx S13 with SR20 a while ago.
A while ago :facepalm: didnt you buy it yesterday or the day before?
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

did you speak to the previous oner and ask him? that would be your best bet
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

k.y.l.e. wrote:Hey buddy sounds like you getting compression in your sump wich is due to piston ring issue maybe piston rings worn out and piston ring end gap is to big and compression is escaping into your sump, also check the pcv valve. A bad valve causes this.hope this helps buddy [smilie=200sx_200sx.gif]
+1 :wink:

NIZAN-R
Over Boosting

Post by NIZAN-R »

replace the O ring on the dip stick and see if it still does it
She is not the CA that could be
She is the CA that IS
(O=O)/RS13\(O=O)
"if you only need one jack to raise your car, then your car isn't low enough"
"EVERYDAY I'M FLUTTERING!"

Fokstrot

Post by Fokstrot »

Yes sonofanarchy i did buy it on Monday. Did speak to the previous owner and he doesnt know anything about it. So i have ro sort it out myself

k.y.l.e.
Over Boosting
Engine: RB

Post by k.y.l.e. »

Does the car use oil? Do a compression test, get a new oring and put some wurth rtv sealeant around the dip stik put it back allow it to cure for a day then drive and see what happens.
My LuGnuts have more torque than your honda.
EX=toyota corolla 160i 93'model
Current car=s13 200sx with s14 motor sr20det v.v.t.

Fokstrot

Post by Fokstrot »

Sorry i dont know these engines very well. Can you please tell me what the pcv valve looks like and where it is located? Thanks guys i really appreciate all your time and effort.

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

k.y.l.e. wrote:..... and put some wurth rtv sealeant around the dip stik put it back allow it to cure for a day then drive and see what happens.....
:facepalm:

Please use some common sense and DO NOT put gasket maker on your dipstick. When that shit comes apart it will (a) get stuck in the dipstick tube or (b) end up in the sump and cause serious damage.
Image S13 CA18DET, NIStune and...oh wait no that's gone..... Image

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Ja +1 rather change the o ring like nizan-r said

phoenix s14
Over Boosting
Car: S14

Post by phoenix s14 »

Change the o-ring and then the piston rings... or rebore if to far gone. Mine does the same with the OEM pistons. Will be reboring with new ones soon also.
Weight kills all the fun - Jeremy Clarkson

Ray200
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by Ray200 »

Enzio wrote:
k.y.l.e. wrote:..... and put some wurth rtv sealeant around the dip stik put it back allow it to cure for a day then drive and see what happens.....
:facepalm:

Please use some common sense and DO NOT put gasket maker on your dipstick. When that shit comes apart it will (a) get stuck in the dipstick tube or (b) end up in the sump and cause serious damage.
:!: :!: :!: :!: You must Neva do something like that. it can cost you a motor...
Rebel with a CA

Ray200
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by Ray200 »

Buddy, seems like you got a ring issue. compression slipping past the comp ring and this will also cause oil pressure to climb excessively. be carefull with this and don't hammer the motor. you might brake the ring lands and that you don't wanna do
Rebel with a CA

Fokstrot

Post by Fokstrot »

I got the dipstick to stay in but its blowing alot on breather.I have been thinking. I dont know the port and channel setup on these engines. Any chance that the head gasket can blow in such a manner that the combistion chamber and oil channels are connected? Seems like the car is losing boost? Unluckily i dont have a compression tester but will have to buy one soon. What should the compression be with 1mm dished pistons? Thanx guys and dont qorry i wont put rtv on dipstick!