Stand alone vs piggy back

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator
Car: S13

Stand alone vs piggy back

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

how does the piggy back system work as a pose to stand alone? how beneficial will it be t have a piggy back ecu installed?

Piggy back systems have got to have limitations, can you go bigger injectors with that kind of system?
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

Draco
Forum Whore

Re: Stand alone vs piggy back

Post by Draco »

The piggy back chips can be split up in 2 categories, the one that comes already mapped and added on your ecu and then the chip that can be tuned to your specifications like a stand alone(nistune and to my opinion dastek), the ones like nistune use all you standard sensors and allow you to mod them as you please, in essence it is basicly the same as stand alone only limited by the limitations of your mods like bigger turbo, afm, injectors and and and.

A stand alone system replaces all standard functions and replaces the ecu as a whole, everything is now run and modded via the new stand alone ecu, it works off mostly it's own sensors that you need to install with new sensors and wiring ect, but can still use some sensors if compatible, basicly gives you full control of everything. piggy backs like nistune( many argue that it is not a chip or piggy back) is already advanced to a point where you have all the fuctions of a stand alone system.

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

NIStune is not a piggy back chip. It is a daughterboard, there is a BIG difference.

Daughterboard allows you to change the stock fuel and timing maps. They also allow you to adjust the OEM ECU's safety features and variables as well. Thus you retain complete OEM functionality of your ECU but tuned to match your motor setup spec.

Piggyback intercepts signals (MAF, TPS, etc) and then manipulates it and sends false information to the stock ECU to try and fool it to do what you want.

Stand-alone is obvious, you start the entire process from scratch - maps, safeties, calibrations, etc.

Which is best? Depends what you want/need/can afford.
Image S13 CA18DET, NIStune and...oh wait no that's gone..... Image

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

well i got a perfect power smt 6 cant afford much more that a diktator so trying to work out whats a better option. And i know i should rather save longer and get nistune but thats still a bit down the road
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

phoned a guy from alb performance to find out how much it would cost to fit that perfect power piggy back system and he told me that from experience with a ca18 motor i should just leave it because the motor does not respond well to tuning????? is this true?

NIZAN-R
Over Boosting

Post by NIZAN-R »

:domo: :domo: lol he just does not know how

my car is pretty stock most of the power is just from tuning
She is not the CA that could be
She is the CA that IS
(O=O)/RS13\(O=O)
"if you only need one jack to raise your car, then your car isn't low enough"
"EVERYDAY I'M FLUTTERING!"

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

NIZAN-R wrote::domo: :domo: lol he just does not know how

my car is pretty stock most of the power is just from tuning
is the perfect power piggy back system any good?

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

L-O-L.

Stupidity strikes again.....

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Enzio wrote:L-O-L.

Stupidity strikes again.....
meaning?

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

You spoke to an idiot.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

My opinion is, phone perfect power themselves, find out the limitations of this product, get to know it and decide whether it will suit you, what I can say is that it will give you more than the standard ecu does and whatever you decide, make sure you get the right people to install and tune a product.

It is always wise to research any product before you buy it and be aware, you will always find many different opinions of anything, sometimes you need to test those opinions to learn and form your own through experience, for every product that 10 say is good, there is 10 that says it's bad, offen bad reviews are based on the product not being utelized right, installed right, tuned right, because of that, a bad opinion is formed about the product for the wrong reasons.

Any engine can be tuned and optimized, there is not such a thing like an engine that does not respond well to tuning, it does come into play if you do it wrong.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

thanks for the replies guys appreciate it will phone around and see what will be the best

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

so got a call from Garth at Perfect power very helpfull guy suggested i rather go for the SMT8 unit as its got 2 map settings and more features than SMT6

Grobblere
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by Grobblere »

Just keep in mind, if you take the PP you will be better off letting them install and dyno.

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

Since this question comes up SO many times, I think this belongs here.

Everybody should read this: http://nistune.com/docs/NIStune_Mapping_Guide.pdf

The purpose of this document is NOT to say NIStune is the best, because that is simply not true - and the document deals with Nissan ECU's in general and not NIStune daughterboards.
This document simply shows what makes up your car's stock ECU: the number of fuel and timing maps, as well as the various compensations and safeties built in.

The idea is to get you to think of what your new "management" is offering you, and perhaps get you to consider what makes a good ECU and what you require vs. what some random company's marketing machine tells you.
Every option is a compromise. Cost vs Performance vs Reliability.

Happy trails!