Timing

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Yakuza
Slipping Clutch
Car: S13

Timing

Post by Yakuza »

Hey guys

I just want to know where I could get a timing belt, tension-er and idler bearing for my ca 18det? As I want to replace mine because it seems to make a noise and I don't know if the guys that re did my motor set the tension-er right.. It sounds insane when boosting almost like a scratch type noise which you can only hear under heavy load.

Any input would be much appreciated

Kind regards
Hanno

Draco
Forum Whore

Re: Timing

Post by Draco »

Most spare shops sells it, ask for the CA18DE engine, the same thing.

jdm200sx
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by jdm200sx »

Sounds like your timing is too advanced. Just my 2 cents :geek:

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well-preserved piece...but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, and defiantly shouting "wow, what a ride."

rat
Administrator
Car: R32
Engine: RB

Post by rat »

Sure it's not det?
Hot Plates are Sexy

Yakuza
Slipping Clutch

Post by Yakuza »

Hey fellas

Well I phoned Nissan Hatfield and the quoted me R 3, 200 for the three parts. Thats a tad to expensive for me. Any other reputable brands that will last as long as oem + ? Where spesifically would I be able to get it?

Im a bit sceptical to go the de route. seen a bunch of other de parts fail on the det. Thanks guys.
Car was also tuned when management was added, so I cant see it being to advanced as well as the CAS is exactly in the middle, thus making it not advanced nor retarded.

All info will be appreciated
Thanks guys

jdm200sx
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by jdm200sx »

Try Autozone. The Gates cambelt is as good as nissans.

With having a management system on, the ignition timing is set on the management. Tuners normaly fully advance or retard the cas and set the timing through the management.

That scratching/pinging sound is predetonation. The belt will not make that kind of sound if it were too loose,too tight or worn out

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well-preserved piece...but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, and defiantly shouting "wow, what a ride."

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac
Engine: SR

Post by Charlvdw »

What management?
197rwkw ,376nm

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

I have been using DE parts since I had my first sx years ago, good luck finding DET parts anywhere else but at the agents(which also gives you DE because it's the same part numbers).
As for the scratching sound, it could be many things, one of them may be the tensioner bearing stud thats not fastened properly in the block, as soon as it gets torque the bearing pulls slightly scew allowing the belt to scratch against the cam belt cover, it happened to me, you should see signs of that on the belt.

As I said, it can be anything, you are discribing a scratching noise, it might be a noise that we identify differently, if your discription is not right, the advice may not be right.

a.huygen

Post by a.huygen »

hay guys!
Wer in pta can i take my 200sx ca18det to do the timing and to get it running, i have a bit low baget!

regarts a.huygen

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

When I got my CA18DET cam belt from nissan it came in a nissan box and on the belt it said gatorback + nissan on the belt, so nissan actually uses gatorback, or gates, think they the same, but the tensioner and roller bearing will be more tricky as its a more complex part and a cheaper quality won't last long, my tensioner was still good when I did my belt, plus I couldn't afford the R900+ just for tensioner

Daniel
200SX Maniac

Post by Daniel »

a.huygen wrote:hay guys!
Wer in pta can i take my 200sx ca18det to do the timing and to get it running, i have a bit low baget!

regarts a.huygen
I can only suggest that you learn to do it yourself. It's actually rather simple working on these cars. Download the manual, make sure you understand what needs to be done and have at it.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2
sig[/sig]

k.y.l.e.
Over Boosting

Post by k.y.l.e. »

Daniel wrote:
a.huygen wrote:hay guys!

regarts a.huygen

I can only suggest that you learn to do it yourself. It's actually rather simple working on these cars. Download the manual, make sure you understand what needs to be done and have at it.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2

+1 if you not to sure have a pro mach guide you, then the next time around you will know what to do.
My LuGnuts have more torque than your honda.
EX=toyota corolla 160i 93'model
Current car=s13 200sx with s14 motor sr20det v.v.t.