Removing Cold start valve and Air regulator valve?

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Removing Cold start valve and Air regulator valve?

Post by troopiec »

Ive been looking at my CA18 in my S13 and it drives me crayze all the water pipes and breather pipes etc, its probably my OCD but it really irritates me and looks so untidy and busy around the intake manifold. I have stock ECU and im not going to go standalone any time soon, so i was wondering is it a good idea to remove the cold start valve and air regulator valve and just simplify everything?

Theres lots of threads about it and ways to do it but everyone seems pretty unsure of it and no one says how it ran afterwards.

Any input would be great thanks as i have stripped out radiator and hoses already to get replacement coolant hoses that were leaking.

Also all my airconditioning has been taken out etc, this car is my daily drive but i dont mind sacrificing a little bit of comfort to get it looking and driving the way i want.

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Re: Removing Cold start valve and Air regulator valve?

Post by troopiec »

Well just to update on my earlier post, i ended up taking off my aac valves and idle air control valve and blanking off the intake manifold, i then blocked and removed all other open inlets and i adjusted open my throttle a little and ive had no problems since, if i start it on a cold morning or evening i just start it and keep my revs manually at about 1500rpm for about 20secs and then i let it idle by itself for about 5min before i drive it, but it will actually drive ok without leaving it to idle, the idle does sit a bit higher now at about 1000rpm normally, but i dont mind, i only drive it the weekend, i must say my dump has increased quite a bit and i have noticed better boost, i suspect my valves were leaking a bit, plus my engine bay is slowly starting to neaten up.

heres a quick pic:

Im soon getting the whole manifold polished so itl all blend in nicely when done

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

Can you post a bit more info and pics plz
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac
Engine: SR

Post by Charlvdw »

I would suggest that before you start chopping ,you first read the manual. Just to make sure that you know what you are removing and what it's intended purpose is.
197rwkw ,376nm

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Yip thats what i did, did my research, checked what everythings purpose was and read up on what other peoples experiences were with removing it. You dont need to break or modify anything to take it off, all i did was make that blanking plate and i blocked off the nessecary pipes with rubber caps, everything can be bolted directly on again without issues. But i like it with it off, causes no issues and car runs perfectly fine, you just need to crack the throttle body open a little bit to maintain idle because normally the throttle body is almost all the way closed and then the ECU opens up the IDLE AIR VALVE, so with it off you just need to set the throttle .mm open, my idle used to be eratic, now it holds perfectly. i suspect one of my vavles were dirty, but i found no reason to clean it, my option is better in my eyes, with everything unplugged there arn't any faults stored either, my ecu still says no faults.