How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Riekert
The Overlord
Car: S13
Engine: VQ

Re: Kaihatsu Factory V8 S13

Post by Riekert »

here we go.. Fran go introduce yourself!

Francois is new to the SX scene... and yes... I need a driving car... and yes... You are a maniac behind the wheel..

Just remember i still own 30% of what you are driving now ;)
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

Francois, come to killarney this saturday at 4pm for some drifting around the oval

lol at you Riekert...it's true though....I still haven't seen your car and I've been back for a year now!

Thanks for the other comments...almost dont want to paint it and just drive it hard....no sponsors...no nothing....but I'd preffer to do that with a road legal one.

Anyone wanting to swap their road legal one for a full specced drift one? 8)

Distributor for ROTA wheels South Africa

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

Frankthetank
Slipping Clutch

Post by Frankthetank »

if we get the bodywork done tonight ill be there wanna sort out some exhaust problems i have on my s13 on tomorrow aswell

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

Ag drift it as it is, then fix it after ;)
Be at the main gate by 4PM sharp, see you there!

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

godzilla
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by godzilla »

DJ was great finally meeting you. i ddint realise we could come from 4pm so i missed out on some track time lol. as usual your car put a smile on my face. dont know what the confusion was about that the spinners were on the oval aswell. giving the drifters too little track time. since my D21 is still fairly stock in every way i have the same problem when tirse start to shred like spagetti. it wraps around my handbrake cabel clamping it to my diff and ends up "pulling the handbrake up' wich is exactly like driving with the hand break up. its a night mare to unravel and cut away the spagetti. but all in all was a lekke evening not too cold and i liked that they alowed the spinners to stay out a little longer. unfortunatly im running 15' and 16' and so many different tire sizes and combos. but i had 2 sets of 235/65/16 and that gives me alot more controll. i was so tempted to try the oval but steered clear untill im better prepared. but i think that probably it for me untill the spring. maybe ill be back with a spray job and some changes to tackel that oval.hahahahah. a bud of mine is getting a mitsubish starion ready for next spring will either be running sr20det or 1jz he has both lol.
sideways forever....

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

Hey dude, good to meet you too.
Keep an eye on the drift section of the forum, I always post event details there with times, etc.

I believe Paul started the spinners on that part of the oval purely because he wanted to entertain the crowd that was there. I guess we could have moved it earlier, but I dont think we will have to worry about that from now on as we will just run it in the box, it just makes sense.

I will also not have to go through the whole hassle I had when different guys were telling me different things with regards to seatblet and helmet requirements for the spinners. I had the Killarney and WPMC heads telling me they dont need and then Phil from MSA telling me they did. I personally think those are basics and should deffinately be required but I don't make the rules, I just scruitineer now according to their requirements.

As for learning to do some drifting, come practice in the box. Set yourself up a figure of 8 and learn to keep a slide and transition from one direction to another. As soon as you get that nailed then you can head out to the oval and start progressing to what we do now. I'm telling you now, once you nail the oval, low speed stuff in the box will bore you lol.

Anyway we will hopefully see you before spring as we will have a few this winter and I'm looking forward to seeing the Starion...I love those cars!!! I also vote 1JZ, pass that on!

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

This past weekend was an exciting one. We were offered to do a lunch time demo during the Regional Main Circuit Racing and then followed by drifting straight after regionals to show the regular crowd what drifting is about.

I spent the whole week getting the car ready and fighting with a starting problem. On Friday I went to the garage three times to test the starting and install the new tank and it started just fine. The tank that was made was from Flat Four Racing and incorporates an advanced baffling system that works like a bomb, thanks to the guys for pulling it off and getting it ready in time:

I changed a few alignment settings, checked all bolts were good and replaced the rear pads with general use pads so it bit immediately and didn't have to warm up, so now the car had a working hydro.

So come Saturday morning I head up early and guess what, the car doesn't start! Tried the whole morning including replacing all spark plugs, relays and fuses and still no luck. By the time lunch came the battery was dying and I had to go organise for the guys that did make it to go out.

The lunch time session went very well with the guys ripping up the track...including Derick in his monster turbo 328i:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

After that session was done I was determined to get the car going for the 4/4:30 thing as I had done a lot of work to get the final bits sorted where I knew the car would perform as it should. So i whiped the battery out of the girlfriends Jetta and put it in.....she fired right up!!! So it must have been the battery not being in 100% good condition.

Come 4PM I had to go and organise all the drifters and do all the scrutineering and getting everyone to the oval to start entertaining the crowd. The night proved to be awesome with drifters and spinners working well together and generally having such a good time. The weather was good, the people were good and behaved (for the most part) and the S13 eventually worked as it should! The car powered around the oval with absolutely no sweat and I'm glad to say the car is now where it was meant to be all along.

Only issue was later in the night taking the previous owner out the drivers side steering arm bent without hitting anything. So yesterday I pulled out my old S14 arms and sent them away for my special lock mod and will be installing it before the end of the week.....stronger arms and more lock...two birds with one stone ey.

One coment that made my night was when the previous owner came out as a passenger, he said if it performed like it did now when he had it, he wouldn't have sold it to me.

I have put the car up for sale now as I achieved what I set out to achieve and unless the drift school starts picking up, it may be a waste as I want to get the S14 done and running.

Here is a little video of the car on the Wheels of Fury event which was the cars first real test and shakedown so excuse the spins on the first 2, but enjoy the second 2 runs :D

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

I will not be drifting the Knysna Hill Climb following a decision by D1S deeming it too dangerous and me just not having the funds to personally pay to get up there and drift it anyway....such a shame as I was ready for it now that I feel comfortable with the car!

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

Bunta
Slipping Clutch
Car: R32
Engine: 2JZ

Post by Bunta »

djtreble wrote:Hey dude, good to meet you too.
Keep an eye on the drift section of the forum, I always post event details there with times, etc.

I believe Paul started the spinners on that part of the oval purely because he wanted to entertain the crowd that was there. I guess we could have moved it earlier, but I dont think we will have to worry about that from now on as we will just run it in the box, it just makes sense.

I will also not have to go through the whole hassle I had when different guys were telling me different things with regards to seatblet and helmet requirements for the spinners. I had the Killarney and WPMC heads telling me they dont need and then Phil from MSA telling me they did. I personally think those are basics and should deffinately be required but I don't make the rules, I just scruitineer now according to their requirements.

As for learning to do some drifting, come practice in the box. Set yourself up a figure of 8 and learn to keep a slide and transition from one direction to another. As soon as you get that nailed then you can head out to the oval and start progressing to what we do now. I'm telling you now, once you nail the oval, low speed stuff in the box will bore you lol.

Anyway we will hopefully see you before spring as we will have a few this winter and I'm looking forward to seeing the Starion...I love those cars!!! I also vote 1JZ, pass that on!

Good advice that! [smilie=200sx_200sx.gif]
it's how i learned to drift :wink:

Nice progress Dj!!!

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

Thanks buddy, when are we seeing you out there?

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

Bunta
Slipping Clutch

Post by Bunta »

djtreble wrote:Thanks buddy, when are we seeing you out there?
Not for a while.... The wagon is sold remember :(

Money has been re-prioritised for now.. hoping to have a project in a year or two again. :wink:
For now, it's Open track days with the scoob only...
Might get nmpsy out with his S14 and Masood/riyaaz out with their E30 soon. but also mostly open track.

But you know what.. just cos i dont have a car to drift with dont mean i must stay away :lol:
Just been busy the last 2 months so couldnt attend S2S events... hoping to attend this month.. even if it's just to come watch and have a boerie with the guys :wink:

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

Yeah come down and if we are allowed passenger rides when you there then you can jump in.

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

godzilla
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by godzilla »

dude come along and come help the guys change wheels heheh i change wheel 6 times in one night. so for me its 6 nuts per wheel wich is 6 x 2 x 6 -72nuts on and 72 nuts off. so u see see how much time and energy wasted on just chnging wheels. and all this is done solo. hahaha.
@dj yaa man i still wann go out on the oval sitting shot gun with you.
sideways forever....

Bunta
Slipping Clutch

Post by Bunta »

djtreble wrote:Yeah come down and if we are allowed passenger rides when you there then you can jump in.
Thanks for the offer, but i will respectfully decline, I know how it goes.. taken a few passengers myself, and when i have a passenger, i tend to take it easier... can have so much more fun alone. pushing limits and wotnot :twisted:
godzilla wrote:dude come along and come help the guys change wheels heheh i change wheel 6 times in one night. so for me its 6 nuts per wheel wich is 6 x 2 x 6 -72nuts on and 72 nuts off. so u see see how much time and energy wasted on just chnging wheels. and all this is done solo. hahaha.
@dj yaa man i still wann go out on the oval sitting shot gun with you.

Jammer om van jou kuk te hoor :lol: :lol:
What car do u drive that has 6 nuts per wheel?
I know SX's are S13 = 4x114 and S14 = 5x114
Get a power drill.... i used to use my buddies... made the 3-4 wheel changes per event so much easier :mrgreen:

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

Bunta wrote:
djtreble wrote:Yeah come down and if we are allowed passenger rides when you there then you can jump in.
Thanks for the offer, but i will respectfully decline, I know how it goes.. taken a few passengers myself, and when i have a passenger, i tend to take it easier... can have so much more fun alone. pushing limits and wotnot :twisted:
haha, not me, I never drive lighter in any condition, but its cool.

As for the 6 nuts, he's in a bakkie...one seriously badass Nissan bakkie!

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

Bunta
Slipping Clutch

Post by Bunta »

Ah cool!! Hardbody i assume. Mean!
Treble, do u mind posting the lonks tomur drift vid please, i cant seem to get the link from the embedded bids... The vid is awesome man, wanna send it , the link, to some buds.