Dumpvalve vs Wastegate

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

VoodooMaster
Slipping Clutch
Car: S13

Dumpvalve vs Wastegate

Post by VoodooMaster »

What is recommended on these cars? According to explainations I have seen, the Wastegate is used for high boost and assist in regulating the air and therefore stabilising boost. Where as the dump valve is basically use to dispatch excess air when the throttle body closes and prevent the air back towards the turbo.
The only thing better than going FAST,
Is Going FAST SIDEWAYS.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

It depends on the turbo whether you need an external wastegate, the standerd turbo has an internal wastegate so an external one would be a waste of time and money.

Only in cases where you upgrade to bigger Hybrid turbos and stuff you need external wastegates because they do not have internal ones.

You are basically on the dot with the dump valve,it protects your turbo a bit better, it has some other advantiges but lets keep it simple...what you said.

ChemCool
SX Forumholic

Post by ChemCool »

You have hit it Derek.
COOLER, FASTER, LIGHTER
www.wappage.mobi AGENTS NEEDED URGENTLY!

VoodooMaster
Slipping Clutch

Post by VoodooMaster »

I am about to remov my dumpvalve cause it's leaking air and therefore the car is overfuelling. The car splutters on a low rev. Would it safe to drive without the DV as I will fit a straight piping in it's place.
The only thing better than going FAST,
Is Going FAST SIDEWAYS.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

It would be safe but you must understand that taking the dump valve out will shorten your turbos life span, if I could recommend something, rather go and spend about R700 on a proper dump valve.

It seems the one you have on is one of the cheepies, they don't have a strong enough spring inside to keep the dv closed on idle. You can even modify that one by putting in a longer bolt whitch forces the dv closed on idle, thats what Freddy did and it helps but I would say buy a turbonetics one (Red).
A proper one costs about R650 up, if you compare the 2 you will see the better one's valve is much harder to push back, it needs anouph preasure from turbo and vacuum from intake manifold to open therefore will not open on idle