Oil in your boost pipes

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

ChemCool
SX Forumholic
Car: S13

Post by ChemCool »

toby wrote:Man, if anyone ever loved their dump valve, it was you! Why are you selling it? Upgrading? It's spitting out too much oil into your engine bay?
Toby, to much oil into your engine bay?? Good question. Where does that oil come from? How is it getting there? You touch something interesting there? What do you know about oil in the boost pipe, spirting like hell out of the dumpvalve??
COOLER, FASTER, LIGHTER
www.wappage.mobi AGENTS NEEDED URGENTLY!

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

Well one of the cam breather pipes go into the turbo intake pipe, so id imagine some of the oil would come from there
sig[/sig]

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Could also be leaky oil seals on the turbo. I'm sure most of our cars have some amount of oil in the pipes - most likely it might even be accumulating in the intercooler (as suggested by Nuren - he says we might even get a bit of performance back if we haul out the intercooler and clean it out).

ChemCool
SX Forumholic

Post by ChemCool »

Derek-just thought this might interest you.
COOLER, FASTER, LIGHTER
www.wappage.mobi AGENTS NEEDED URGENTLY!

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

the oil breather pipe gets pumped back into circulation just before the turbo. The reason is for emmisions control. You can't blaock this pipe as the crank case oil willbuild up too much pressure & you will see thick black clouds of smoke coming out the exhaust as the oil getspushed up beyond the oil rings.

Oil is lined in the intercooler pipes & the intercooler itself. Oil coming out of the dump valve is normal.
I have actually met a guy who owned a brand new scooby with a DV & the same thing happens. After every 1000km or so, you notice the oil.

It's always a good idea to do a yearly service & clean out the pipes & intercooler. The performance is gained because since the oil is removed the heat isn't retained.

You can't clean the intake manifold on the car. I read in a forum once that a guy sprayed Carb cleaner in his intake manifold to clean it. But the mixture gets forced back into the engine & it doesn't burn like normal dirt. You get a thick black paste that hardens in the combustion chambers & then you have lots of fun after that. It blocks the injectors & all sorts of luurvly stuff.
Steer From the Rear !!

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Woohaa,explain please, this is my problem, everyday oubout the same place and heat my car spits out a cloud of smoke for about 10 seconds or so then it is gone, my boost pipes are always wet with oil and when I really push the car, quite a bit of oil piss out of my dumpvalve.

thought it was the turbo, it is being redone now for the 5th time this year, my engine was also redone in the beginning of the year, you speak about
the oil breather pipe gets pumped back into circulation just before the turbo. The reason is for emmisions control. You can't blaock this pipe as the crank case oil willbuild up too much pressure & you will see thick black clouds of smoke coming out the exhaust as the oil getspushed up beyond the oil rings
Where is this pipe and how do I check if it is this pipe, I tested the pipe on the intake/tappet cover and on the other side,tappet cover/air intake pipe to turbo, the problem is still there.....hellep me please!!!!!

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

Sorry derek-Son for the late reply, bt was out of the office for a coupleof hours.
One of those pipes is located just after the air box & before the turbo. This is the pipe the turbo uses to suck in air. This pipe then travels on top on the tappet cover. So look for any pipe traveling from the tappet cover to the turbo intake pipe.
Inside this pipe is something known as a PCV or PVC or something like that valve.
If this valve is not in the right position, it also block the exiting air & you get tons of oil been thrown out.

there is also another pipe that goes from the tappet into the intake manifold its self. There is a valve there that controls the cold start. If that is blocked you might get a similiar situation.

What confuses me in your situation is why is there so much oil been thrown all over ther engine bay.

If the rings are very worn, that will cause it, but you redid the motor. oil is supposed to come up, but not to the extent that you have more oil outside the engine then inside.

Have you tampered with the oil pump in any way. Guys normally increase the oil pressure so that they don't suffer from the dreaded bearingknock.
Steer From the Rear !!

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

The pipe from the tappet cover to the air intake of turbo I checked by blocking off the entry to the turbo air pipe and inserting a 500ml coke bottle with small holes on the top at the end that should go in the tyrbo air pipe, drove like that for about 4 days and it only prodused about 4ml of oil, not neatly enough to cause my problem.

The pipe to the intake the turbo guy blocked off and left the hole on tappet cover open to see if the oil could come from that tappet cover, the problem didn't go away, both were tested.....

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

sh*t. I can't think of anything else just yet. Let meprod through my engine bay as well & see what I find.

There is one more pipe that goes from after the intercooler into a little blackbox just in the throttle body. I don't know what that pipe does, have you checked it anyway?
Steer From the Rear !!

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

the only other pipe connected there near that valve on the intake is the booster for the power steering if I am not mistaken....

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

I'm not sure what that pipe does, but I don't think it goes into the power steering.
The pipe I'm talking about goes from the hard plastic intercooler pipe.
Steer From the Rear !!

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Will see if someone can explain what that pipe does.

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

no

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

I'm getting my turbo back later then me and Freddy will do the honors, hold thumbs that it goes good

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

I'm getting my turbo back later then me and Freddy will do the honors, hold thumbs that it goes good