Drift Spot Project - South Africa

It's all about going side ways YO!

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Gary57
Club Rep
Car: S13

Post by Gary57 »

For us guys in DBN all we have is the streets :twisted: .

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

Gary57 wrote:For us guys in DBN all we have is the streets :twisted: .
if you can get there without your car being confiscated!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Ja the cops have died down a bit. There arent many/any guys that do drifting here.

But Saturday Night Drags are back :lol: .

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

Gary57 wrote:But Saturday Night Drags are back :lol: .
oh god - the whining about cops is going to start again.

this is why nobody should go drifting their cars around in public places, you know, other than the obvious reasons like "its illegal" and "somebody might get hurt" and "insurance wont pay", etc!!!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

oh god - the whining about cops is going to start again.
No whining from me, I expect them to make an apperance in a few weeks :lol: . Its still good fun, go test some E46 M3 and a few Scoobies. Best is watching the 325is, those guys only know to revs ranges, idle and rev limiter. IDIOTS.

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

LOL - i hate those FWD's who stick on the rev limiter like that!!!

it can only hurt a car!

rather go drifting - its totally safe for the engine 8)

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

I have seen them put the car on the limiter and then SLOWLY drive away, just slipping the clutch.

We have a old Corrola station wagon here that is F***ed, the rust fall out of the bottom of the doors when you open it. But this guy runs E46M3 and E63 mercs on a regular occations :shock: .

gremlin
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by gremlin »

I can see both sides of the story. Drifting on the streets is bad and irresponsible. The track is the best place to do it. And If we start being responsible the cops won't give us so many hassles. I can Also understand if you don't have a track to go to. I see Vlades point. He isn't trying to arange an underground drifting scene. He is trying to find places where the people who do drift on the street can go do it safely. It's the same as driving on the street. every now and then you feel like putting your foot down. or meet an m3 at the robot and give it a bit of a go. Just gunning it for afew hundred meters and go back to normal driving. Some of us are the same with drifting. You see a nice corner and see if you can drift it or you in an empty parking lot and just do 1 or two drifts and carry on driving like a human. Sorry i'm drifting off point here.(don't mind the pun) what i'm saying is if you do it like this once in a blue moon then it's not such a bad thing. Just make sure no one is around that can get hurt and there is nothing to smash into. But the best is to save it for the track. Where it is safe and there is nothing to worry about except spinning out infront of your fellow drifters, and pleasing the spectators.
PICO Drifter

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Im sorry but for you guys in JHB you have no excuse or reason for drifting or dragging on the road, you have the facilities, USE THEM. Its ok to go sideways around a corner here and there, but drifting is not on.

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

nicely said!

short and sweet. almost like widowmakers mom!

VoodooMaster
Slipping Clutch

Post by VoodooMaster »

Drifting like drag racing is dangerous when done on public roads but it will always occur due to the adrenalin and the risk factor involved.Even though all the race tracks have events for such sports. There are monthly drag events but the guys still go out on Saturday evening to race.

Drifting must still be exposed to the public in order for the sport to grow in SA. Only way to do it is to show the public what it is all about in a controlled environment. So if you want to arrange an event on a public property arrange it with authorities and property owners.
The only thing better than going FAST,
Is Going FAST SIDEWAYS.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

There are monthly drag events but the guys still go out on Saturday evening to race.
Sorry I disagree, if we had a race track in DBN I would not go to the Saturday night drag I would go on Sunday and test my car around the track. When we do have the "Legal" drags here, you cant enter cause it by invite only WTF, how is that getting racing off the streets??

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

also well said...

but not quite like widows mum!

VoodooMaster
Slipping Clutch

Post by VoodooMaster »

Well Gary you guys in Durbs will have to wait for the A1 Grand Prix for a street track. Either that or you need to sleep with the right people in order to get an invite.

There are so many strong cars in Durbs from what I've seen. Are you saying that they are mainly built for street racing?
The only thing better than going FAST,
Is Going FAST SIDEWAYS.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

The guys in DBN build their cars for the Matubatuba and Margate drags. Most of them never make it there and are stuck to street dragging. Even the fastest cars we have down here dont do the legal street drags here, too much politics and crap. Oh ja and NO NOS :? .