Project Greenstone.

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

neptune
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by neptune »

I miss my baby and very proud that she made it to jhb not many cars can do that. I knw b i knw the new owner will take gud care of her. She is use to lots of love

Riekert
The Overlord
Car: S13
Engine: VQ

Post by Riekert »

so whats next for u?
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

neptune
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by neptune »

A house closer to work. :lol:

BigKriss
SX Forumholic
Car: S14
Engine: RB

Post by BigKriss »

I am going to continue my improvements and everything else here.

A quick lesson in ignition timing for some of the less mechanically minded of us here.
The RB has been very sluggish off boost and I looked at the mapping on the Dicktator today. Now before I go on here, the mapping to this car was pretty good for drive ability coming back from the coast.
It was once I started driving daily that I soon realized that a chicky in a Getz driven fervently could actually be embarrassing to be in the S14 !

Well, looked at the maps today and what I saw is rather typical of the "boost uber alles" mentality of our wonderful S.A. tuners ..
After my run in with skelm Schalk I do not trust nor entertain any tuner around.

The boost timing setup was excellent for absolute top boost performance. Under this curve it all really sucked. With this went drivabilty, response of the turbo, the onset of boost and fuel consumption.
We had 10 deg at idle
12 deg at 1500
18 deg at 2000
24 deg at 3000-you are dead in the water with this.period.
Then we went into boost and it remained at 24 until 0.5bar boost.

For those that are interested, a rough starting guide is to follow your rpm range for timing with a conservative 30 deg from 3000 rpm up to red line, naturally aspirated.

From this basis you can now start playing. Being a low compression slug by comparison we can chase the timing quite aggressively off boost.

I gave the RB 10 at idle, 17 at 1500 rpm, 23 at 2000 rpm, 28 at 2500 and 32 at 3000.
What a difference it made in non boosted mode ! The car picked up all over the rev range, quicker acceleration and now the turbo starts spooling at 3000 rpm already !!

The fuel mixtures have now gone a bit lean all over except for 1000 to 1500 rpm range which is good. I will now play with fuel a bit and then chase more off boost response with timing.
Ultimately I think this engine is going to work the best with 19 deg at 1500, 25 deg at 2000, 29 deg at 2500 and probably around 36/7 at 3300 rpm.
Also something to consider is to not drop timing immediately as you go into boost ! Keep it high up to 0.3/0.4 bar and then retard timing accordingly. You`le quickly hear if she is not happy..

Remember that at light cruising small throttle big vacuum conditions you can dial in insane amounts of timing. 45 /50 plus degrees. But with this , fuel must be looked at very carefully or you will just create temp problems and bad fuel consumption.

So for the next couple of days I will be playing and trimming..Ill keep this posted..

That chicky in the Getz ? She`s history.
Last edited by BigKriss on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nirvash
1.0 Bar Boost

Post by nirvash »

congrats :D

i think you should continue or start a new build thread

i must say that an rb with the std turbo still has awesome response lower down the rpm range and pulls hard from little to no revs

nice car
Time to nut up or shut up. RB25DET S13 (sold)

Current. CA18DET S13

P3g4sus
Club Drifter
Car: Supra
Engine: 2JZ

Post by P3g4sus »

Or we can just split this one for you ;)
Power is nothing without control,
Control is not fun without power.
Traction is over rated. :twisted:

BigKriss
SX Forumholic

Post by BigKriss »

Really am enjoying my new car ! Today a mate of mine and I hook up on the way home and of course, he drives a Scoob..So the horns start emerging and we dont behave the way we should .
One stretch we let rip and then need to brake rather niftily .Holy crap ! The front wheels on my car shake uncontrollably and rather violently !
Mmmm, I am going to have to pay a lot of attention to her to get her up to my specs.

Followed up on the box and diff today and I should have these by next weekend only.Bought a complete z32 ZX for parts ! Any one interested in a 300 ZX Twin Turbo engine with std. management for a project ??
Now this could be a stormer !!

Having spacers made for the front wheel so I can fit my O.Z.Magnesios as an option from time to time..

Hotstuff
Club Rep

Post by Hotstuff »

congrats on your new cash pit... :lol:

hope to see u at Zwartkorps on Sunday...
'92 White S13

BigKriss
SX Forumholic

Post by BigKriss »

I was bang on the button with the timing prediction !!

10 deg at idle
19 deg at 1500
25 deg at 2000
27 deg at 2500
34 deg at 3000 and
37 deg at 3500 !!

pulling back to 25 deg under boost, Ill still play with this later..Right now my aim is to get this engine to motivate like a strong 2.8l n/a motor up to the onset of boost.

I have done exactly that !!
I had to give her more fuel low down but it is sooo worth it !
She now breaks traction at anything over 3600 rpm which also tells me the turbo may be a bit small...

Just to let you guys in on a little backroom news, Alistair called me up last night and we chatted . One of the reasons he put his bella on the market was exactly this ! He inquired from tjooners around and they all suggested from lightening the flywheel , to shorter ratios and ultimately a smaller turbo !!

Neptune, bud..this turbo may be too small as is ! When you`re up here shortly, pop by and drive her..

On a more serious note here, can anyone tell me if there are any rubber components in the steering shaft that can cause the steering wheel to move on its axis ??
Coming through Kempton Park to Benoni there is a 270 deg roundabout. Having blasted through there with aplomb I came out the other side with my steering wheel offset by about 15 deg. !!
It wont go back in straight and horizontal position..HELP ??

P3g4sus
Club Drifter
Car: Supra
Engine: 2JZ

Post by P3g4sus »

BK I have Split the topic for you, This is now your build article, If you want to give your project a Nice name, You can edit the first post.

Keep up the good work! :D
Power is nothing without control,
Control is not fun without power.
Traction is over rated. :twisted:

NIZAN-R
Over Boosting

Post by NIZAN-R »

steering rack bushes can be shot
She is not the CA that could be
She is the CA that IS
(O=O)/RS13\(O=O)
"if you only need one jack to raise your car, then your car isn't low enough"
"EVERYDAY I'M FLUTTERING!"

BigKriss
SX Forumholic

Post by BigKriss »

So, the following is what I need to do to the car immediately .

Change the bloody Ford v6 engine mountings some idiot fitted while doing the conversion ! HTF can you use these for this conversion ?? :roll: :roll:

Replace every bush and rubber on this car. Have ordered all the good stuff from Rez..The steering problem ? A massive trans fluid leak from the steering rack onto the rack bushes. The bushes are fubarred !

I bought Subaru Recaros today. These will be fitted.
Seeing as the complete safety restraint system-airbags- were taken out - :roll: -I will now fit a Momo or similar steering instead.

A new differential is needed, holding thumbs for the ZX unit I am taking out this weekend.
The fatboy gearbox is fcuked. Period. Phoned around today for one but its unobtainum.
Dont know what Ill do here yet.

This morning the left rear wheel bearing collapsed. So a complete new set of wheel bearings has been ordered from Edenvale Nissan. You do not want to know how much....

Had the chip in the windscreen fixed today and ordered a new windscreen just in case. Ill store it until the fateful day arrives and arrive it will, as true as eggs..

I have already looked at my braking options here and I will most likely use my setup I had done for an Alfa Race car I had earmarked.
My big red Brembos or some mono block Porsche stuff I had already bought..

Any one know where I can buy a full lock set for my car ? The keys are even worn out and dont want to lock and unlock the car that well..

So, this is my sorry arsed tale at the moment. Im in too deep so I need to carry on and make her new again..

:(

ljS14
Over Boosting
Car: Evo

Post by ljS14 »

Mikes place in CT will have a fat boy box for you :wink:
have one couried up to you ,we all buy our import engines from him .

its worth the hassle as not many importers have them :wink:
1991 S13 200SX
1993 Z32 300ZX Convertable
Evo 8

aep886
SX Forumholic
Engine: SR

Post by aep886 »

get solid engine mount...^^
porsche mono block is awesome~
current vehicles...
1979 Corolla SR5
1996 S14 200sx

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

Let me know if you still want to order those wheels :)

Distributor for ROTA wheels South Africa

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za