Tuning tips

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Draco
Forum Whore
Car: S13

Tuning tips

Post by Draco »

As we all know, most of us at some stage go full management, some of us tune or need to tune our own cars because we want to or need to, so I think it is time we learn from those who know, so we can start our own path.

If admin wants to, lets start a sticky...

Starting tips:

Cold start: timing advance or retard
fuel

Crusing: timing advance or retard
AFR to look at.

Light load: timing advance or retard
AFR to look at

Under full load: timing advance or retard
AFR to look at

Deceleration: timing
fuel

All those with experience and tricks, feel free to help us understand if, how why to do what and any info you are willing to share.
Last edited by Draco on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

I can see a few engines being damaged and all drivablity gone out the window...
DriftZ: "I swear if a CA18 beats my SR im getting a RB!"

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

Thats a typical tuners response. Guess they never had to ask around and learn, just woke up one day with all the answers and a sticker that says "Tuning God".

My point being, I don't think the answers are really as easy as Derek may think(not suggesting you think its easy). But whats wrong with people knowing how to do things giving some tips and helping us mere mortals to understand the basics? I personally would love to know the ins and outs. Hell maybe even make minor adjustments.

But this is pretty much a pointless thread as nobody will come to the party
sig[/sig]

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Danial I hear what you are saying and I felt the same when I first started. Thing is it is something that cannot really be taught but more learned fro trial and error. Besides that most people on this forum dont even fully understand how and internal combustion engine and this is the most critical part of tuning any motor. You need to understand what you are changing and what and how it will effect.

I dont feel what I know should be a secret and I will share with anyone that asks but I wont give someone vague info that they can use to blow up their engine and then say "Gary told me to... and now look what happened".

Most things in tuning can be worked out if you go back to basics, but things like flame speed, ignition timing, injection timing need to be fully understood.

If you guys want to know something, ask... but dont ask how do I tune my car...because that is too vague and I dont have time to write a novel...

Ciao

nirvash
1.0 Bar Boost

Post by nirvash »

Daniel wrote:Thats a typical tuners response. Guess they never had to ask around and learn, just woke up one day with all the answers and a sticker that says "Tuning God".

My point being, I don't think the answers are really as easy as Derek may think(not suggesting you think its easy). But whats wrong with people knowing how to do things giving some tips and helping us mere mortals to understand the basics? I personally would love to know the ins and outs. Hell maybe even make minor adjustments.

But this is pretty much a pointless thread as nobody will come to the party
i agree, personally i would like to learn more about it myself but dont think i'd really put it into practice. this could either be a a good thing or very very bad thing, i dont know if its a good idea for people who dont really know what they are doing to be "tuning" their own cars (myself included :wink: )

if any info is posted it could temp people to fiddle.

not saying im against it, just cautious :?
Time to nut up or shut up. RB25DET S13 (sold)

Current. CA18DET S13

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

I agree with Gary on this one, but yes, you have to learn.
So go to Nistune's website and start reading!! They have a shed load of info there to keep you busy for a while - and then you can ask more intelligent questions regarding tuning.
Image S13 CA18DET, NIStune and...oh wait no that's gone..... Image

Daniel
200SX Maniac

Post by Daniel »

Thanks Gary, you are definitely right.
It's just frustrating. It, i believe, is definitely not easy and will not be able to be learnt from one thread. Will have to go research on specific tuning sites.

*Edit

what Enzio said
sig[/sig]

RB25SX
Over Boosting
Car: R32

Post by RB25SX »

First tool u need is a wideband AFR gauge in your car, then a good knock link and a EGT gauge can also help.
Once u have the right tools, start learning.
R32 GTR

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Guys...lets not be daft here...we all know every system, engine and so on is different, still you start with the basics.

Nobody said someone must teach us....in my post I said tips....thats it....we must learn as anybody has....but getting basic tips will help on the way.
Broken engines and what not....as if everybody learning did not take that risk....

Simple...tips like for cold starting....do you advance or retard timing
Tip: advance or retard....thats it, nobody said tell us what the timing should be....or how it works....or the history of tuning....simple basics.

I have spent some time searching google and nowhere do they give all these basics, some here and there, so I thought, we have some guys on here that can help....start a thread and give other guys tips....

So to all that is so negitive, rather not post, you sound like the ones that already left the forum....

For as long as I can remember this forum was about joining people that have a passion for this car and share what you know to help a fellow member, tips, guids...whatever...this was part of the big picture.

Get with it....or dont post.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Guys...lets not be daft here...we all know every system, engine and so on is different, still you start with the basics.
You answered your own question... and its not THAT simple. Plenty things need to be concidered...

RB25SX
Over Boosting
Car: R32

Post by RB25SX »

Draco wrote:Simple...tips like for cold starting....do you advance or retard timing
My car starts on 14 deg timing, but cold starting is also about sorting out the cold start enrichment and amount of pulses, feul u need to cold start. not the same on all engines.
R32 GTR

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Gary57 wrote:
You answered your own question... and its not THAT simple. Plenty things need to be concidered...
Thanks for your input.....rather not post thanks.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Derek there is no one tip that works for every engine, so the tip I give you may work for me but not for you...

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

RB25SX wrote:
Draco wrote:Simple...tips like for cold starting....do you advance or retard timing
My car starts on 14 deg timing, but cold starting is also about sorting out the cold start enrichment and amount of pulses, feul u need to cold start. not the same on all engines.
Thanks RB, helpfull as always.

May I ask, what is the standard timing for an RB engine?

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Gary, I understand, but in general, the norm is to ratard or advance timing when you start tuning cold start? The basic starting point, it won't be the same as your car but it starts with the basic....