Re-torque the head

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Toby
Club Founder
Car: S13

Re-torque the head

Post by Toby »

So you guys would've seen the water leaking out my engine at the event, and I've been told I probably need to retorque the head. Is there anyone who can help me with that, or does anyone recommend a place I can take it to? Does it take long? 'Cos I don't want to leave my car at a workshop overnight :(

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Toby to retorque the head takes an hour at the most, you just need to take the tappet covers off then tarque the head and put it back, any place can do it, I have a friend in Pretoria that will do it for you, he did my cambelts and some other stuff, he will do it while you wait for R150 and if the water problem stays he can have a look to see what the problem is, let me know if you want to go.

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

Did you pull out the thermostat dude?

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

No, I will, but my wife's using the car now during the week, so I'll have to try that on the weekend.

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

So I took my car to a workshop this weekend and they pressure-tested the cooling system - turns out that the water is leaking neither from the head, nor from the water pump. There's a hole in the radiator pipe that goes into the engine block - yep, the pipe that is the hardest to get to! :x

You're good, Murphy!

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

Yo dude, hows that for diagnosis. Didn't I tell you about that pipe? Man, it is kak to get too as you have to push the alternator out of the way. :?
Steer From the Rear !!

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Yea excellent diagnosis! You are the man! You really know your sh*t! You even sound like you have experience... wanna help? :D

These guys want me to leave my car there, but after the guy bragged about how his 11 second bakkie will beat the crap out of my car, I decided not to! :P

Amazing how these mechanics can be like 50 years old, with the brain of a 10 year old.

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

Some mechs are retards. Ask him how many chicks he picks up with his bakkie?
I'm looking free this weekend, maybe we should do it then. I Also need to do an oil change. I bought all the stuff I just need a fancy drive way....Just like yours. :D
Steer From the Rear !!

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Are you serious? You'll seriously help me out? You're welcome to use my driveway anytime - since I've sold 2 of my cars, there's lots more room as well :-) Any idea where I can get a replacement radiator hose? Must I buy from Nissan?

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

I think so. the other thing you can do is get the number for vees pipes. they do silicone pipes & rubber & ...&... Try Nissan & then Vees & get the better price.
Vees might not know what you are talking about, & might require a sample instead & he will match it up for you.

Here's another idea. If Vees is good with his silicon pipe prices, maybe you should replace your water pipes with red silicone ones.... :roll:
Steer From the Rear !!

Jay_boy
0.3 Bar Boost
Engine: SR

Post by Jay_boy »

hozit guys!! ok here is my five cents!! LOL :wink: i have changed all the rubber hose`ing on my car so take the hose off for a sample and take it to any spares shop for a match even if its a bit longer but it wont cost you anything more than R40 at most!! but the red silicone hosing sounds cool!!
Sucks gas and hauls ass! Catch my DRIFT????

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Who's this Vees? you got a contact number?

Jay_boy
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by Jay_boy »

so have you re torqued the head??

Jay_boy
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by Jay_boy »

I found the number WooHaa was talking of Vees Auto Pipes 011 334 2548 hope they can help you!! :wink:

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Thanks J - no I haven't re-torqued the head. I think I'll have to go buy gaskets first.