Z32 (300ZX) Brake fit quide - The SA way

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

Z32 (300ZX) Brake fit quide - The SA way

Post by Vlade »

Ummm I thought since there are so many members interested in this... and the fact that it's relatively cheap to do I'll do a little writeup on it...

Note: That I fitted these brakes only to find out my mags do not clear them... so yeah I cannot comment on the performance.

Z32 Brake background

3 Models available
280mm diameter 30mm thick Iron: Late model Z32's Turbo + Non Turbo
280mm diameter 30mm thick Aluminum: Early Model Turbo only
280mm diameter 26mm thick Aluminum: Early Model Non-Turbo (Fairlady)

The ones you want to source is the 30mm Turbo model, these work best!

First of all how to get them...

http://www.ebay.com.au its my no 1 place for sourcing parts like these... They wern't that expensive... about R2200
This is what whas advertised, on ebay

I had the guy ship it to me it was about 10-14Kg and cost something like R500, import cost was something stupid like R50

Pre-Fitment

For these brakes you'll need to source new Rotors (Disks you nimrods :lol: ), I hear M3 disks work and obviously Z32 disks, they need to be 30mm thick depending on the thickness of caliper you chose...

They will be 5 stud, so you'll need to convert them to 4 stud 114pcd... to do this is quite easy...

iTake of old rotor, take new Rotor overlap the front ends and tighten the rotors to each other with nut through one of the stud holes... line them up and use the old rotor as a guide to drill the 3 new holes... works like a charm. -- Sorry I got no pics

I sourced some BBA 4000 slotted rotors from http://www.Powerbrake.co.za they aren't cheap but they can handle the abuse.

DBA 4000 Rotor for a 300ZX Twin Turbo

Pads.. I've been bitching on the forum about pads, did my research... this is what many people recommended.

HAWK HPS - Good for hard street driving and some track day - need to be warmed up first before they get in the "ZONE" - unlike full track pads that work after a hard warmup lap.

These can easily be sourced from someone like http://www.summitracing.com

Fitment

Stock setup... it's also 280mm believe it or not...

Removed stock caliper, remove the caliper with 19 spanner/socket

Another pic... notice the ABS sensor in the left bottom corner

The new calipers bolt right up, there is just one problem... the dust cover interferes with caliper, so you'll need to remove some of it with a grinder...

Here you can see the I have removed the top ends of the dust cover and it clears the caliper nicely

Clean the shit up before you fit it YO!

Now many people say oOoOoOoHHH your forgetting your brake lines... SOOO? You don't really need new brake lines... What I did was I used my original banjo bolt and trim some of the meterial of the end (basically I used a hacksaw and made it shorter)

Pic of original Z32 line... and the banjo from the stock brakes

Here you can see that its a little too long... you need to shorten the bolt by 2-3mm

tadaaa!

A pic from the back... shows how it clears the dust cover

Top pic of pads in place

A JOB WELL DONE
Hairdresser MX5

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Car: S13
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

Awesome :D
sig[/sig]

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

specially for me, cos i have those calipers.

just checked on summit, for about R1100.00 you can have 300zx pads for the front and rear.

summit also dont stress about shipping to SA i dont think.

now to check the prices of rotors.

thanks vlade, got me all excited about my calipers again!!!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

I have bought a few small things from summit now... they are really cool... they even send me full 100page booklet quarterly with there products listed... the only downside they are very V8 based so they stock more of that products...
Hairdresser MX5

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

they're the guys who supplied my poly bushes...

was extremely happy with their service. they were quick and reliable.

but it was shipped to the usa, and then hand delivered to me here at the airport by a buddy!!!

whats their shipping like to SA???

expensive?

take long???
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

shipping depends on what type you take...

was quick with in a week i received my stuff and I took 21 days shipping option...
Hairdresser MX5

jon
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by jon »

What a great write-up, thank you Vlade :D

How about a follow-up in a month or 2 of your driving impressions?

edit: I just read the second line again, bummer. Any ideas of how to solve the problem?

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

jon wrote: edit: I just read the second line again, bummer. Any ideas of how to solve the problem?
which line are you talking about jon???

Hennie Marais
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by Hennie Marais »

Hmmm looks damn nice. It's something I have to do aswell.

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

veecee wrote:
jon wrote: edit: I just read the second line again, bummer. Any ideas of how to solve the problem?
which line are you talking about jon???
this one id bet
Note: That I fitted these brakes only to find out my mags do not clear them... so yeah I cannot comment on the performance.
sig[/sig]

jon
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by jon »

:lol: thanks for the quote Daniel, that's exactly what I was referring to.

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

I am thinking of getting some spacers, but then I'll need some longer studs as well, this can solve the problem...

only thing is my tires are already about 5mm past the body, increasing that with another 20mm might make it look very tappit
Hairdresser MX5

jon
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by jon »

Vlade wrote:I am thinking of getting some spacers, but then I'll need some longer studs as well, this can solve the problem...

only thing is my tires are already about 5mm past the body, increasing that with another 20mm might make it look very tappit
:lol: What are you talking about, it looks great on mini's :lol:

What about having the archs rolled, obviously this will necessitate an unwanted spendage of your hard earned cash though, just a thought.

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

jon wrote:What about having the archs rolled, obviously this will necessitate an unwanted spendage of your hard earned cash though, just a thought.
It on the cards for the future but not now... If I roll the arches I will need a respray :wink:

When the car is running I'll go to a MAG place and try some spacers and see how they look, might not look too bad...
Hairdresser MX5

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

this is a friends car.

he has 17x9 wheels on it, but attached to the hubs without spacers. the car is a purposebuilt drifter, and is very low, so he had his arches flared a little.

maybe that would help you too???