Before Chuck slaps the big G's out of me lets talk OIL

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Draco
Forum Whore
Car: S13

Before Chuck slaps the big G's out of me lets talk OIL

Post by Draco »

I know Toby and Nuren is using Castrol RS sinthetic oil, question...as far as I know sinthetic oil is good for a turbo car, but I also know that because our cars is so old and has been around the block a few times, it needs a multigrage oil for the valve seeds.

You guys using RS don't you get problems because of the km's on the car, and if not why?

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

Id imagine it would piss oil out of every seal there is..well it definately would on mine :oops:
sig[/sig]

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Daniel don't say shite like that, I wanna buy the stuff but I don't want to create oil leaks where there isn't, is this a thinner oil that you say it will piss out everywhere, I got quoted for 5liter R 254... was under the empression it was closer to R400

Ero_sennin
SX Forumholic
Engine: SR

Post by Ero_sennin »

I use Castrol Edge Sport I'm not sure if the RS is thinner than that, probably is though. I had oil leaks but thats because of other factors
SONY Xplod inside
SR20DET Powered Red RS13

Dunn
Slipping Clutch
Car: Other

Post by Dunn »

Hey guys i bought me a shell helix ultra fully synthetic what do you think of that oil?
Daily and Wifes car : Honda Jazz
ex Accord Type S
ex Impreza STI ver 6
ex 97 Civic Vtec
ex 99 conquest 20v
ex 92 200sx (apparently 135kw ATF stock)
ex Conquest RSI

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

As far as I can find out any synthatic oil is good for a turbo car, why evrybody seems to go for GTX RS is because of its viscosity, normally the others are sae40 or 10w-40 where RS is 5W-60.... it can handel more heat and cold.

I've never heard of or seen shell helix synthetic oil, I guess it's because I never looked for it, never too old to learn something. Chuck knows everything, what he doesn't know he beats out of you..

Dunn
Slipping Clutch
Car: Other

Post by Dunn »

The shell ultra is a SAE 5w-40
Daily and Wifes car : Honda Jazz
ex Accord Type S
ex Impreza STI ver 6
ex 97 Civic Vtec
ex 99 conquest 20v
ex 92 200sx (apparently 135kw ATF stock)
ex Conquest RSI

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

I haven't put any expensive oil in my car, yet. I think it's currently using Royal Purple something or other. I am keen on using Mobil 1 on my next oil change. I also worry that it will start leaking oil since the synthetics are thinner, but I'll give it a go anyway. :wink:

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

If my car starts pissing oil as Daniel aliquently puts it... I start pissing tears. Chuck will feal embarrest by me but he will get over it.

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

Let me not go thro this lesson again. But just to summarise, The first number is the viscosity of the oil in the cold & the second number is at high heat.
Castrol RS has the higest viscosity at heat, while Mobile has the lowest during start up.

Also remember synthetic oil does get eaten up has much as multigrade & also synthetic oil normally coats the metal a little. It's not like duraLube and all that stuff.

i recommend Mobile One & Castrol RS I have even noticed the engine running quieter when using Mobile 1. & This is on an engine that has 160000km on it..Original.

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

Derek-son wrote:If my car starts pissing oil as Daniel aliquently puts it... I start pissing tears. Chuck will feal embarrest by me but he will get over it.
LOL :lol:

i was just saying. I noticed considerably more leakage when i went from mineral to synthetic oil. But the seals are tired, the sump gasket was my main concern as that had a little leak. but now it comes out the cam and crank seals and basically everywhere! Cant wait to drop in the other motor and start the rebuild on this one. And another thing, Castrol Edge seems to do the job just fine.
sig[/sig]

ChemCool
SX Forumholic

oil

Post by ChemCool »

Now, because of all of you, I still dont know which oil to buy??? :?: :shock:
COOLER, FASTER, LIGHTER
www.wappage.mobi AGENTS NEEDED URGENTLY!

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

I don't know of the other oils but I can say this, someone I know has the 2l sx, he got the castrol edge as a pressie, few days later he picked up a knock on a bearing, he thinks it's because of the oil but it could just be murphy....

As for the what oil to buy freddy, according to the turbo guys and racing guys gtx rs is the way to go...as for the other oils I recon any synthetic oil is better than normal arganic oil....and Chuck says so too!!!!!

Big_Guns

Post by Big_Guns »

Derek-son wrote:I don't know of the other oils but I can say this, someone I know has the 2l sx, he got the castrol edge as a pressie, few days later he picked up a knock on a bearing, he thinks it's because of the oil but it could just be murphy....

As for the what oil to buy freddy, according to the turbo guys and racing guys gtx rs is the way to go...as for the other oils I recon any synthetic oil is better than normal arganic oil....and Chuck says so too!!!!!
I doubt that the bearing knock was cos of the oil, maybe the oil change but not because of the oil.

He might not have put enough oil into the motor, or else maybe he doesnt have a baffled sump which would cause an oil surge into 1 corner when cornering hard or drifting and cause the bearings without protection to knock.

I recommend Castrol Edge Sport 10w60 or the Mobil 1. But I rate Castrol Edge tops. In my brothers Honda, he revs over 8500 rpm with no oil supply issues.

With SX's or CA18det make sure to check your oil seals. Friend of mine went thru 2 clutch plates because the crankshaft seal kept breaking and so oil leaked into the clutch assembly.

ChemCool
SX Forumholic

Clutch Shudder

Post by ChemCool »

Can this then also be a reason for clutch shudder or not? Oil leaking into clutch assembly?
COOLER, FASTER, LIGHTER
www.wappage.mobi AGENTS NEEDED URGENTLY!