Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Pinkfluffybunnys
Over Boosting
Car: Other
Engine: SR

KimG - Project SX

Post by Pinkfluffybunnys »

Howzit Guys...

I'm Starting this article thread on behalf of KimiG to help out anyone interested on the forum.

Kimi bought my old set-up of cam's but asked my help to resolve a few Issues with his SX, The car was bought modified and does have a few issues like extremely high fuel consumption,bad idle and low power making only 90RWKW, I stand to be corrected but the car has had a few tunning place try and correct the issues with very limited

I have looked over the car and it does have some nice Items but also a few items that make me scratch my head asking myself what the previous owner and tunning shop was thinking.

Modifications include:
-----------------------------

T28 (Off black top SR)
Cam's (My old set)
63mm Exhaust System
Cone Filter
Adjustable FPR
2 Inline pumps [smilie=200sx_confused1.gif]
Water\Meth [smilie=200sx_confused1.gif]
Uni-Chip [smilie=200sx_shit.gif]

The Start
-----------

I arrived on Saturday and we started stripping the motor to install the new cams after a few minutes of stripping it was found that the intake pipes where filled with oil after installing the new cams we needed a few parts from Midas and with it being so later we called it a day and started on sunday once the cams where installed and all the piping,Turbo and intake cleaned, We could get down to finding the faults and issues.

Faults
-----------------

The faults I have found are the engine mounts are shot so me and kimi will source replacements in the future.

The Car also seems to be fitted with two Fuel pumps the stock internal and a Inline pump, I can figure out why this was done but we will tackle this issue once we get there.

There is also Two FPRs on the car the stock Item plus a after market Item plumb into behind it, This is just messy and lazy work by who ever tried to tune the car, I have made a work around by drilling out my spare Stock FPR so we can use the single adjustable item we will swap it in at a later date.

Issues
----------

Also before stripping the motor it was noted that the timing was very advanced, I not sure why this was done but its thought to be because of the Water\meth system, I personally don't think it was the correct way to this

The Fuel pressure on this motor also seems to be sky high at around 4 bar at Idle with vacuum if the fuel pressure is brought down the car goes into a very lean state just off idle causing the car to splutter this could be caused by a number of things but I personally think it related to the horrible Unichip strapped to the ECU

Maus also seems to have plugged the boost controller (bleeder valve) into vacuum system and vent the un-needed air to atmosphere causing the car to sputter on idle.

The last issue seems to be the excel blow-off valve, This is causing the cars Idle to dip dangerously low to stall when releasing the throttle also the BOV is wide open on idle causing the idle to be un-metered

Future
---------

We are planning on upgrading the Stock Side mount IC to a FMIC , also we will be upgrading the stock MAF to a Z32 unit plus 440cc injectors and remove the horrible Uni-chip and replace it with a nistune system that I will set-up to help the car run better.

We might even remove the fuel pumps and replace them with a single walbro.

So far Kimi is happy with the little changes I have made but we need to resolve a few issues to bring the car back to it 0.9 boost level and see if We will be keeping the water/meth set-up.

Anyway if anyone is looking for a CA18DE intake cam talk to Kimi he has one for sale.
2008 Mazda 6 MPS - Daily Drive
1\4 Mile:
1993 Nissan Sentra 200STI SR20VE – Mild VE
1\4 mile: 14.815 @153km\h @ ODI --- 1KM:195Km\h

Because Race Car

KimiG
Slipping Clutch
Car: S13

Post by KimiG »

Thanx for everything ... So far so good :D

Car definitely feels a lot better already...
The car runs very smooth through the rev range and even though only boosting 0.4 bar it has decent power...

very happy with the progress in one weekend :D

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

nicely done!

with the fmic and nistune and all the other bits and pieces, it should be a beast too!

good luck along this road - it can be a very rewarding one!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Drillergy
SX Forumholic

Post by Drillergy »

Hi PFB, can you do a diagnostics on my CA motor?
Just check the overall condition of it?

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

LOL - can you afford him?
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Drillergy
SX Forumholic

Post by Drillergy »

veecee wrote:LOL - can you afford him?
Im sure if he has the tym, we can reach a mutual agreement.

Riekert
The Overlord
Engine: VQ

Post by Riekert »

Drillergy wrote:Im sure if he has the tym, we can reach a mutual agreement.
Beer.... LOTS AND LOTS OF BEER!!!!
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

Drillergy
SX Forumholic

Post by Drillergy »

Riekert wrote:
Drillergy wrote:Im sure if he has the tym, we can reach a mutual agreement.
Case of Quartz Amstel/Hienie's?

What you drinking?

Pinkfluffybunnys
Over Boosting

nicely done!

with the fmic and nistune and all the other bits and pieces, it should be a beast too!

good luck along this road - it can be a very rewarding one!
I think it going to rock, I will phone you later in the week VeeCee to get the info on the V8 mounts becuase these items are gone.

Sure I dont have a problem, Just need to arrange the time.
No thanks , I work for SAB had enough of beer
1\4 Mile:

Because Race Car

Drillergy
SX Forumholic

Post by Drillergy »

Sure I dont have a problem, Just need to arrange the time.

Cool can you pm me your address, and it would give me an indication of when I can come see you, Ill make an appoinment before hand.

Pinkfluffybunnys
Over Boosting

Little Update:
--------------------

We have installed the old 370cc injectors and installed the 440cc items, We also installed the drilled out FPR, The motor is running OK off boost but since the tunning the motor has picked up an issue.

It wont boost past 0,5 bar even if the wastegate is completely disconnected and remains closed.

The motor also goes into a heavy stutter very similar to boost cut, I hope to remove this damn Uni-chip some time soon and get better control over the ECU because I think its related to the Uni.
1\4 Mile:

Because Race Car

ReeceZ
SX Forumholic

Post by ReeceZ »

It should, I had something similar, and it was sorted after the dicktator was put in
Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?

Pinkfluffybunnys
Over Boosting

Another Uni bites the dust
--------------------------------

Well if you have ever wondered how a unichip is wired into your ECU don't wonder no more. The past three cares I have removed chips from have all been wired the same.

There are normally 6 sometimes 7 connections to the Uni from the ECU.

White\Black = Power to ECU
Black = Ground
Both Green\Black = Both MAF signal and Crank angle
Both Green\Yellow = Both MAF signal and Crank angle

Sometimes

Light green \ black = coolant temp

1\4 Mile:

Because Race Car

Pinkfluffybunnys
Over Boosting

Update:
----------

More work was done today on kimi's SX, The Uni chip was wired out and all the old connections restored.

Base timing went from 20 degrees to 30 and was restored to the stock 15 degrees.

Next the work started to install the Z32 MAF, First the old pipe and MAF was removed then I used old Bends to make a custom intake pipe went out and bought a 76mm to 67 mm coupler.

The old MAF cone filter adapter couldn't be used so a new Item was bought and everything was test fitted once finished the old harness was cut and the N62 pigtail wired in.

Here a few pictures of the custom pipe.

1\4 Mile:

Because Race Car

Pinkfluffybunnys
Over Boosting

We are still waiting on the Nistune system from AUS.

But I removed my ECU to start the tuning process and check the MAF, I uploaded the Stock MEC-005 map and installed my wideband in the car then started tunning the car at the stock 0.4 bar with the meth disabled.

Tunning went well till the disconnected BOV started venting at 5500rpm causing the car to dip, So I reconnected the BOV but the item is open on Idle causing the AFR's to go very lean plus cause a massive dip in rev's
when venting to atmosphere.

Anyway I tunned the dip out, and the lean running at Idle but I cant tune the part throttle lean out but at least there is no dip or surging

Once the basic map was set-up, I could tunning for 1 bar boost slowly raising the boost till 0.8 then reactivate the meth and carry on till 1 bar but the boost controller doesn't want to give anymore then 0.6 bar but I had no time to troubleshoot as I ran out of light s more next week.

Stock Map
--------------

New fuel Map
-------------

The estimated power currently based on fuel is 130KW at 0.6 bar
1\4 Mile:

Because Race Car