some usefull brake info..

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

300sx
0.8 Bar Boost
Car: S13

some usefull brake info..

Post by 300sx »

having gotten this idea some time ago from RB25SX's rb26 thread, i had some more ideas that might be usefull to somebody, who knows.. :wink:

this brake mod entails using nissan murano brake discs (or rotors if you prefer..) which measure in at 320mm x 28mm with a 68mm spigot , same height as s13 & s14 discs.. together with 300zx 4 pot calipers.

this leaves you with a small area of the disc not being swept, as the z32 pad was designed for a 280mm disc.. better brake action comes from more leverage as the caliper is spaced 20mm away from the centre of rotation, thus bigger lever in essence.

as a lot of you may know, a lot of brake pads for differant makes and models use the same shape and style , for instance you will find that hyundai elantra old shape pads are exactly the same as s13 pads, i have used them before on my s13.

so i wondered if there was a pad out there using the same style as the z32 pad, but bigger, so that more of the bigger disc could be used. after spending 2 hours in my local midas having the salesman fetch me set after set of pads to examine :D i found these :

toyota landcruiser 100 series 4
ferodo part number MX772

the backplate of the pad measures about 2mm thicker than 300zx pads,
pad width about 8mm more.. ofsetting the fact that z32 discs is 30mm thick and murano discs only 28mm, and sweeping a usefull bigger area of the disc.

hope this is usefull to somebody out there 8)
Last edited by 300sx on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
300zx fairlady 1991
200sx s13 with vg30det @ 1bar

RBSX
1.0 Bar Boost

Post by RBSX »

hmm some good R&D there 300sx

few questions

firstly those calipers look just like mine, are they not s14 calipers ??

Secondly , correct me if im wrong i see you just drilled 4x114pcd holes on the disc

Thirdly, where did you get those murano discs from, did they come cross drilled, if not......give me the full story, they look awsome

and finally...how does the breaks feel ???

RBSX
1.0 Bar Boost

Post by RBSX »

hey one more,,favour, can you make me a set of those spacers, to space the caliper out,,, how much does it cost, you can post it down to me

SuperBaas
0.2 Bar Boost

?

Post by SuperBaas »

Good Work man. Lots of ppl dont know that the Subaru WRX 2006-2008 calipers are the same as the 300zx...infact they made by the same company reused/recycled for the WRX...front and back....I actually bought my rear pads at Subaru...looks like a better grade compound than the nissan.

300sx
0.8 Bar Boost

Post by 300sx »

firstly those calipers look just like mine, are they not s14 calipers ??
lets see, as far as i know, s14 and 300zx calipers are the same, the discs are the same too..
Secondly , correct me if im wrong i see you just drilled 4x114pcd holes on the disc
yes they are redrilled for 4 x 114.2 pcd as the murano is a 114.2 x5 pcd
which means there is no need to redrill if you are useing them on a s14
Thirdly, where did you get those murano discs from, did they come cross drilled, if not......give me the full story, they look awsome
discs are from autozone, R1500 for the pair, had them crossdrilled by an engineering firm..

have not tried the brakes out yet, having trouble with the brake lines, having customs made up, but RB25SX has done this already (this was his idea originaly as far as i know :), maybe he has some braking impressions for us?

as for the spacers, they are off ebay, they are however made for the 350z discs which measure 324mm .. which means they space the caliper 2mm too far out.. thinking of having an engineering shop make me new ones to more precise specs..
Lots of ppl dont know that the Subaru WRX 2006-2008 calipers are the same as the 300zx...infact they made by the same company reused/recycled for the WRX...front and back....I actually bought my rear pads at Subaru...looks like a better grade compound than the nissan.
nice info that dude, i also did not know that.. opens some new brake pad options for all using 300zx/s14 calipers.. 8)
300zx fairlady 1991

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

hey guys, not sure if it was mentioned yet, but the toyota hilux/prado (one of the big 4x4's) also use a 4 pot caliper, which takes exactly the same pad as the s14/r33/r32/z32/subaru too!

godzilla
0.3 Bar Boost

brakes

Post by godzilla »

You gys are correct, the toyota hilux ktz /prado use the same but get the ferodos,they do make alot of brake dust but they stop,the ate's are to soft and doesnt stop that well,i sued the toyot pads on my R33 did the job well.

RBSX
1.0 Bar Boost

Post by RBSX »

300sx..shot for the info,,, if you get a bracket made, make me a set as well please, i will pay

i cant beleive an engineering company drilled those for you, i went to a couple of places here in durbs and the guys gave me funny looks and know one wants to take the job on
how much did the drilling cost you ???

So since the scoobys brakes are the same, does that mean toy can bolt up those front and rear calipers on a s13

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

i dont think so, because the scooby has the bleed nipples on the opposite side. which means when the calipers are bolted on, then the bleed nipples are at the lowest point of the caliper, not the highest/

but apparently this is the only reason! i'm sure anyone with two braincells could work out a bleeding solution for this! :lol:

300sx
0.8 Bar Boost

Post by 300sx »

lol.. yeah, most engineering works would not want to do it , since its a time consuming job with not much profit to it..

paid R200 per disc to have them drilled.. maybe look for a smaller shop that take on smaller jobs? as for the brackets ,got quoted R400 each.. :shock: thats using the ones i bought as templates.
300zx fairlady 1991

Drillergy
SX Forumholic
Engine: SR

Post by Drillergy »

veecee wrote:i dont think so, because the scooby has the bleed nipples on the opposite side. which means when the calipers are bolted on, then the bleed nipples are at the lowest point of the caliper, not the highest/

but apparently this is the only reason! i'm sure anyone with two braincells could work out a bleeding solution for this! :lol:
if the nipple thread is the same size as the opposite end then cant you switch the piping around? If you talking about the scooby brembo's then maybe its possible.

Riekert
The Overlord
Engine: VQ

Post by Riekert »

Drillergy wrote:
veecee wrote:i dont think so, because the scooby has the bleed nipples on the opposite side. which means when the calipers are bolted on, then the bleed nipples are at the lowest point of the caliper, not the highest/

if the nipple thread is the same size as the opposite end then cant you switch the piping around? If you talking about the scooby brembo's then maybe its possible.
woot! drillergy seems to be the only one to have two braincells :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

Riekert wrote:
Drillergy wrote:

woot! drillergy seems to be the only one to have two braincells :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hey riekert - stick it up your ...

you go check out the calipers and let us know then!

Drillergy
SX Forumholic

Post by Drillergy »

veecee wrote:
Riekert wrote:
Drillergy wrote: if the nipple thread is the same size as the opposite end then cant you switch the piping around? If you talking about the scooby brembo's then maybe its possible.
hey riekert - stick it up your ...

you go check out the calipers and let us know then!
hehehe, I'm just saying if its the Brembo's cos its a universal caliper outsourced by Subaru for its wrx.

n1smo200sx
0.5 Bar Boost

Post by n1smo200sx »

i have the Hilux pads ATM-is the Landcuiser pad wider than those??
the Hilux pads fits on the 30mm discs-does the Cruiser pads fit also?If the sweep is like it looks it will be worth it get pads skimmed to fit for better braking.
My car's a Hybrid - it burns gas and rubber