Project C - Also not 56k friendly!

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Gary57
Club Rep
Car: S13

Post by Gary57 »

Well are you putting Nissan pistons back in or CP or something.

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

I need to get slightly oversized pistons, so probably not Nissan ones - I'll put in whatever I can get reasonably priced! Vlade's hunting them down for me - these things are not easy to source locally. It's a pity tho, 'cos my old pistons were so nice and I spent a lot of effort cleaning them. Oh well...
Red 200SX S13, 1992, stock. <a href="/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=332">Engine rebuilt (click)</a>.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Nissan do sell over sized pistons!!

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

Post by Vlade »

it's just that they are more expensive than forged units :(
Hairdresser MX5

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Buy forged then and you will on your to way. Cant go wrong there.

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

Yeah you can't go wrong but I'm currently trying to find some cast pistons they will be half the price of the forged units, since Toby wants a reliable car and not a 10sec car, either way you go it will be fine, but cost also plays a role. If we go forged the block will need to go back to the engineers again to make sure the bore is correct for the pistons, on the cast units it's not that a big issue. Forged unit's clearances are larger than cast units.
Hairdresser MX5

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

which, i am told, is why my car sounds like a diesel until its properly warmed up!!!!!!

if toby is going to baby the car, then go for the most economical porisitonni!!!! thats italian for the japanese of the english for "piston".
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

Found some pistons now for him... Autopower ones don't know them at all, the engineer has used them he was happy, but would like a second opinion.
Hairdresser MX5

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

Vlade wrote:Found some pistons now for him... Autopower ones don't know them at all, the engineer has used them he was happy, but would like a second opinion.
how much??? is the price difference worth it?
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Oh yea!!! The price difference is worth it!! Less than R1400 for four.
Red 200SX S13, 1992, stock. <a href="/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=332">Engine rebuilt (click)</a>.

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

Toby wrote:Oh yea!!! The price difference is worth it!! Less than R1400 for four.
yeah thats worth it. now you can go spend the difference at teasers because its NATIONAL CLEAVAGE DAY!!!!!

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

Yeah it's a good price, but I just want to get some reassurance before purchasing something that might be no good.
Hairdresser MX5

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

speaking of reassurance...

its good to know that you are our club pimp because you really are upholding the national cleavage day holiday today with that avatar of yours!!!!!

dont know the brand - sorry!!!!

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Project C lives! :D This weekend, Vlade managed to get my custom-made AutoPower pistons (I say that like it's a well known brand, but it's not), that cost a whopping R1000 for four (give or take a bit). They look great and fit perfectly :-) We had to shop for a few odds and ends, like fuel filter, oil filter, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, radiator hose, fuel line hose - all of which we got at AutoZone! And they even had stock of the pulleys, at (I kid you not) one tenth the price of Nissan. Also bought clamps for the hoses and copper nuts for the manifold studs (copper price has recently shot up and is almost at an all-time high, so not a great time to buy these). The odds and ends cost almost as much as the pistons - so don't forget to factor these things in when budgeting for a rebuild.

Once the bits were bought, we started building the block. Vlade lives for this stuff :-D Regardless, we still got our battle scars - I managed to rip off a piece of my finger nail and lots of skin, and Vlade managed to damage his finger in some way too. But the laptop showing the FSM while playing some heavy metal sure helped :-)

We ended the day with a block with shiny new bearings, shiny new pistons, new piston rings (gapped correctly), all assembled with the crankshaft and bearing caps, etc. So far so good - the crank turns nicely and smoothly and the pistons clear the squirters nicely. Next we will tackle the head.

Check out the pics here: http://200sx.za.net/200sx/index.php?opt ... Itemid=38#

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

sounds like a bargain! hurray for Autopower!

hope the pistons don't forge themselves after a while, but holding thumbs for you

you diidn't mention which fingers you both hurt - your thumbs by any chance? :lol:

tackle that head tubby, tackle that head! (derek sez vlady is good at that too)
Last edited by widowmaker on Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.