S14 RB25

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

HancoB
SX Forumholic

Post by HancoB »

ljS14 wrote:These are the standared size Brembo disks,Will the Z33 calipers fit and are they available?
They cost a pretty penny and the pads also costs a arm and a leg. As far as I know they do fit but spacer plates need to be made up.

Deon aka D aka Ready D has them on his white s13. They look so HAWT!!!

I think your best option would still be to powder coat them.

Riekert
The Overlord
Car: S13
Engine: VQ

Post by Riekert »

Agreed powder coating is the way to go!
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

RAW
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by RAW »

No point in using z33 calipers, it will be of zero benefit besides color and youll need to re-machine the hub to make them work on the S14/Z32 disks as they are smaller than Z33 disks in over all diameter... only if you go smaller to larger disks can you use a spacer to space the caliper further out...

Also powder coating will not withstand the heat of the braking system, powerkote is the only real option, you can look at easily R3000 to do it because the calipers have to be fully rebuilt after because you have to strip them right apart to kote.

Paint on coatings do last semi well IF you prepare it right do it properly and you use good quality stuff.

Riekert
The Overlord

Post by Riekert »

RAW wrote: Also powder coating will not withstand the heat of the braking system, powerkote is the only real option, you can look at easily R3000 to do it because the calipers have to be fully rebuilt after because you have to strip them right apart to kote.

Paint on coatings do last semi well IF you prepare it right do it properly and you use good quality stuff.
Dammit!! why can't anything be cheap in SA!!!
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

ljS14
Over Boosting
Car: Evo

Post by ljS14 »

Thanks Raw, I will give them a call and see what they can do for me while they are busy with the brakes.
1991 S13 200SX
1993 Z32 300ZX Convertable
Evo 8

HancoB
SX Forumholic

Post by HancoB »

ok ok, thats what I had in mind just missed the spelling a bit. :wink: :wink:

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

i've seen powdercoating used on axle components without any problems. components like spindles, calipers, bracketry, etc...

and powdercoating is around 150-200 for calipers!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

RAW
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by RAW »

Try it on a car that has any amount of decent power where you make decent brake heat and youll see why powder coating does not last on brake calipers.

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

porsche racing cars dont count?
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

RAW
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by RAW »

funny, I wonder why VWAG (porsche, lambo, seat, ectr) spend 6-7 times more using ceramic coatings on their OE color coded calipers when regular powder coating will work?

If the coating has ceramic and alumite it will last, if its regular powder coating (polyester, polyester-epoxy or straight epoxy, as widely available) it will peal off and/or discolour over time, usualy fairly fast. Ceramic/alumite coating are not easily available but are threw companies like powerkote... it is called ceramic coating... and it cost a shit load more than regular powder coating as i pointed out a few posts back.

would you like me to explain further?

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

threw or through???

i dont know the exact compound they were using, alll i know is that the calipers and spindles were sent in for powdercoating, and after a year on the track they still looked good.

RAW
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by RAW »

veecee wrote:threw or through???

i dont know the exact compound they were using, alll i know is that the calipers and spindles were sent in for powdercoating, and after a year on the track they still looked good.

Maybe its time to not worry about other peoples spelling and worry more about giving accurate information that wont waste peoples time, money and be a possible fire risk because your “not exactly sure” but you’ll advise someone to do it anyway…

Riekert
The Overlord

Post by Riekert »

ok ok!! stop the bickering!! again you get what you pay for... the one might be better than the other one but it all depends on what you want to spend. If the cheaper one works for 1 year and the expensive one for 10 its still up to whoever wants to do it. I say go for the cheap one and check what happens...

aka The Overlord

RAW
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by RAW »

remember if you want to try any form of bake on coatings youll need to sandblast the calipers, If you want to do this right you remove the pistons out the calipers, tape it all up, coat, bake then re-assemble, you S13 guys will have a hard time finding the right seals (genuine ones that dont leak) and you have to change the seals when you remove the pistons... so make sure you can get the seals before ripping the calipers apart, I know the S14 ones were kak expencive but available, S13 ones were almost impossible to get the correct ones.

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

RAW wrote:
veecee wrote: Maybe its time to not worry about other peoples spelling and worry more about giving accurate information that wont waste peoples time, money and be a possible fire risk because your “not exactly sure” but you’ll advise someone to do it anyway…
oh please dude - we're talking about a coating on a set of calipers. its not like the dude wants to install the "fire out of my exhaust" system made up of a sparkplug and an injector at the back of the car???

so if the dude spends 200 bucks powdercoating the caliper, or 3000 bucks ceramic coating the caliper - who has ended up wasting who's time and money?