Project Fly VVL

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Doctor G
0.7 Bar Boost

Project Fly VVL

Post by Doctor G »

So before I got s13'd I started a little NA project. Things happened and the project is now long overdue. In fact, the motor is now in it's 3rd incarnation and is actually gonna end up in a different car altogether from when I started this project.

In fact, it nearly ended up in my S13. Would have been the first SR20VET in a s13 that I know off.....

But my love for a screaming NA that nails most hot hatch turbo cars prevailed and this thread will focus on just that.

Anyways, enough talking. Let me go host some pictures...

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

where's them???

i can like sr20ve's - specially yours! hmmmm... throttles!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Doctor G
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by Doctor G »

Okay here goes.

SR20VE

Needs to get in here. Here she is all stock as I bought it, except I added the RS5's and smoked the tail lights. Notice the puny exhaust... ha ha

Once the motor was in (in my red sabre at first), took it to the dyno. Figures below are power to the Wheels, Motor was stock standard at this stage with a mismatched exhaust manifold and a pretty bad tune.

Doctor G
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by Doctor G »

Tinted the windows and added a front lip....

then some goodies from NZ arrived. Franklin Stage 4 cams and valve springs. You can clearly see the 2 small lobes and one large lobe on the cam for each cylinder. Not shown in the pictures are SR16VE pistons and SR16VE flywheel. So time for the mods to begin...

In order for the looks to match what's in the brooks, a few more external mods whee needed. So time for the CF bonnet and some more menacing wheels....

Doctor G
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by Doctor G »

To get the handling up to sratch it was time for a full Energy Suspension poly urethane suspension bush and steering rack upgrade.

After doing that same mod on the s13 it was a piece of cake on the sabre... :shock:

To get the gear changes slicker a B&M short shifter was added... Again, compared to the S13, fitment was a pice of cake. I'm also interested to see how different the shifter feels compared to the ebay ones from our group buy for the s13's.

For the heck of it, some more interior mods. Momo Corse steering wheel

Ditched the std leather seats for some more race inspired recaro items

Riekert
The Overlord
Car: S13
Engine: VQ

Post by Riekert »

how much did that bonnet set you back?

would look sic on my fathers 200sti!
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

sjoe... i've never really liked the sentra/sabre's!

until i saw yours! all of your sabre's have been absolute hawtness dude. well done!

this one is by far the best though!

cant wait to take that VE for a spin!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Doctor G
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by Doctor G »

Riekert wrote:how much did that bonnet set you back?

would look sic on my fathers 200sti!
It was around the R3800 mark give or take. Plus had to have it redone 3 times before they got it right...

Doctor G
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by Doctor G »

veecee wrote:sjoe... i've never really liked the sentra/sabre's!

until i saw yours! all of your sabre's have been absolute hawtness dude. well done!
Thanks dude. I aim to please too :lol:

veecee wrote:
cant wait to take that VE for a spin!
trust me, not as much as I do!! Taken me over a year to get there with this one.

Doctor G
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by Doctor G »

Anyways, the motor recently came back from the mad scientist ex- Nissan SA touring car engine builder. All parts installed, motor completely rebuilt, balanced etc etc.

Then it was time to take care of the valve cover. This is what I was aiming for, but without spending the R1500 + shipping, import duties, vat etc.

Genuine SR16VE N1 tappet cover. How HAWT is that!!

So first off I sandblasted my vc

Then some high heat paint and a variety of primers and a couple of different reds. Didn't come out exctly as the N1 cover but close enough for now till I can buy the real mccoy!!

The end results

Riekert
The Overlord
Engine: VQ

Post by Riekert »

Doctor G wrote: So first off I sandblasted VC
WHAT! You sandblasted VC??
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

OOOOOO sidies.....thats gonna give you som hickers fo yo nickers......

gonna cost you some petrol but it's worth it....Great stuff man.....

Doctor G
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by Doctor G »

Draco wrote:OOOOOO sidies.....thats gonna give you som hickers fo yo nickers......

Draco those are ITBs, not sidies. Notice the injectors sitting on the top. These should make some really decent power on this setup...

Doctor G
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by Doctor G »

Riekert wrote:
Doctor G wrote: So first off I sandblasted VC
WHAT! You sandblasted VC??
he he. yeah - he was a black man before that. What no one knew?:shock: 8)

VC as in valve cover. Not my fault vaughn named himself after a tappet cover - LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Doctor G wrote:
Draco wrote:OOOOOO sidies.....thats gonna give you som hickers fo yo nickers......

Draco those are ITBs, not sidies. Notice the injectors sitting on the top. These should make some really decent power on this setup...
OOPS....yip...did not see the injectors.....all I saw was SIDIES.......

So um.....one of those cases where I don't know everything.....ITB's?

I know TB stands for people with lung problems.....o....O and for throttle body...... but what does the I stand for?

So you gonna slap some socks over those trumpets?