One COOL Project!!!! 56k unfriendly

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

200SXSilviaSavage
0.1 Bar Boost
Car: S13

One COOL Project!!!! 56k unfriendly

Post by 200SXSilviaSavage »

Hi guys, I've been wanting to replace the standard side mount IC for ages now, and after waiting over a month for the new FMIC kit to arrive, me and two of my buddies got together to install the lot :D ...

Old setup:

It all started with the kit: (Apologies for the terrible pics taken on my phone, as that was all I had at the time)
600x300x76mm IC and Aluminium piping

I eventually found out that cutting would be inevitable...

Finally got the pipes through and could mount the intercooler...

The IC mounted and all pipes ready for connection...

The cowling had to be cut to make space for the dump valve. This made the cowling weak. We went for a run, and came back to see that the viscous fan had taken a chunk out of the cowling at the top...

We took the cowling out and with the huge viscous fan sticking out, it wasn't at all safe! So I decided to take the fan out and replace it with two 12" electric fans...

The intake piping from the filter to the turbo was redone too...

A smaller battery just fitted in place so I didn't need to relocate it. The battery and the water containers were painted...

The front of my car with the cooler...

And finally, after 5 days of work, the complete new setup! Lag has surprisingly not increased and power distribution is much smoother :D , she's boosting 0.8 bar :D ...

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

looks like a job well done!

good work on installing the intercooler nice and straight!

just a question - its important that those fans are mounted flush with the radiator. yours look like they are slightly away - as in only a few mm's... are they???

what i did with the fans was take m4 (i think) bolts, long ones, and push them through between the fins of the radiator, and that way the fans were mounted flush.

but otherwise it looks fantastic, and i'm sure it will a great investment!!! much better than stock!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

200SXSilviaSavage
0.1 Bar Boost

Thanx a million for the compliments VC! If YOU think this was a decent job then that's saying something! :D And yeah the fans are about 4mm away from the radiator... Do they have to be flush? Or is this gap still okay?

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

yeah i wouldn't say that its a showstopper, but they'll definintely be more effective if they're flush against the radiator.

i'll send you some pics of mine, or maybe if hotstuff sees this then he'll have pics of his!!! (hint hint @hotstuff).
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

ChemCool
SX Forumholic

Post by ChemCool »

Please tell me about the blue pipe from air filter to turbo inlet. What material is that pipe. Where did you get it? Is the pipe manufactured to make provision for the stock air breathing pipes and the thin little pipy that goes to the air pressure controller. Do you run aftermarket management system? Is the afm replaced or what do I see on the picture with the aftermarket air filter.
Thanks
Chem 8)
COOLER, FASTER, LIGHTER
www.wappage.mobi AGENTS NEEDED URGENTLY!

Slide 'em Wide
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by Slide 'em Wide »

That was A sweet job thar matie!

What Id rather be dooing!

200SXSilviaSavage
0.1 Bar Boost

Yeah Chem... From the turbo it's a 135 degree silicone bend, then another 135 degree bend to the AFM. The pipe that connects the 2 silicone bends is 63mm stainless steel which I got from an exhaust shop. I just drilled two holes in the pipe for the blow-by and the air pressure sensor (smaller pipey), and I just stuck the 2 pipes into the holes :lol: No pun intended... I'm still running standard management. Thanx for the compliment Slide-em...

poizen
200SX Maniac
Engine: SR

Post by poizen »

so how much was this kit and how long it take to fit

poizen
200SX Maniac

Post by poizen »

doesnt anyone know a estimated price and is the fmic set up better than standard witout putting a bigger turbo to fill tha monster intercooler

Riekert
The Overlord
Engine: VQ

Post by Riekert »

poizen wrote:doesnt anyone know a estimated price and is the fmic set up better than standard witout putting a bigger turbo to fill tha monster intercooler
Price ranges from R2k - R4k... a cooler like this might be a bit overkill on a stock turbo... but then again... your not gonna run stock for long.

Bought my cooler for R1200 and my piping i'm getting for say -+R1200.
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

poizen
200SX Maniac

Post by poizen »

i would mod it but it already hot as it is and dont want the 5-0 stoping me and tryna impound my car for reasons that not even know but a fmic is wat im keen to look at first then mayb a bigger turbo but i wanna keep it clean till i can get the cash flow moving again