Brake renew

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Phinx
0.7 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Brake renew

Post by Phinx »

Everyone seems to need a brake upgrade on the SX's , But before we stroll down to the Scrap yard for the 300zx Calipers can I ask the question when last did you change you brake fluid?

Brake fluid needs to be changes yearly because it absorbs moister and breaks down after time with heat

Items you will need:
10mm socket or spanner
peice of clear plastic tube approx 1m in lenght
a glass jar or something you can drain brake fluid into
a bottle (or two) of replacement brake fluid
a friend

The Nissan 200SX braking system requires a non-silicon based brake fluid. This would be a DOT3, DOT5.1 or RBF600 rated brake fluid. DO NOT USE DOT5 fluid in the 200SX braking system as it is silicon based.

The DOT ratings of the brake fluid simply refer to its different boiling.
DOT 5.1 and RBF600 fluids have the highest boiling point of the brake fluids avaliable. This means - they will continue to work even though the braking system is very hot.

Thank you DreamensioN

Pic of my Skanky Brake fluid

New clean fluid.

A.K.A - Wonderboy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1993 Nissan 200 SX
148 Kw - 250 NM @ 0.55 bar. 1.8T ATW
1989 Toyota Corrola
63kw - 117nm 1.3- N/A
18.2 @118,4 Km - Rainbow Raceway

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

brake fluid usually is a clear-ish liquid. when it goes black then its definitely contaminated, and as it absorbs water (in the form of moisture) the most common contamination is by water.

so if your brake fluid is a dark colour, its a good idea to change it out.

apply the same principles to your clutch to renew the fluid there too.

as a general rule: if you cant see through it, its dirty and contaminated, and its not performing as well as it should!

if you're brave, or impatient, try to pressurise the brake fluid container for a quick bleed!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already