The Overlord
Car: S13
Engine: VQ

Vinyl'd Roof - Never 56k friendly!!

Post by Riekert »

Hey! I vinyl'd my roof last Sunday.

Was easier than I thought... Although I had help from a Professional!! :D

Ok here goes:

Firstly you'll need some water and soap mixture in a spray bottle, a heat gun a bit of benzine to clean the roof... and of course the vinyl:
Some Benzin:
The black vinyl:

Well Firstly you have to kleen the roof of the car... No dust better result!

Then take the vinyl and spray the sticky part with the soap/water mixture, spray the roof with this mixture as well.

Then lay down the vinyl on the roof and move it to the desired angle...

Then with a soft block rub over the vinyl to get all the air bubbles out... Start from the inside(middle) working your way outwards.

Once all the air bubble is out, cut the major excess off.

Then with the heatgun and your soft block rub out the rest of the creases...
So the vinyl takes the curved shape off the roof.

Then with a sharp "blade" cut off the excess on the lines of the roof... sp no extra vinyl is on the edges...

Wipe the vinyl with the benzin cloth to get all the dirt off...

Leave it in the sun for a day or to to dry out completely... In my case it was crappy weather over the weekend so....

The end result should look like this...
Image :shock:
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

nice write-up dude...

its a cheap and effective way to get that panda look on a white car. decent!

when are you going to paint those wiper blades black??? take them off, sand them down, paint them black, install them back in.
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Riekert
The Overlord

Post by Riekert »

veecee wrote:nice write-up dude...

when are you going to paint those wiper blades black??? take them off, sand them down, paint them black, install them back in.
Hehe thanx.

well... the wipers are my next job on the car... Doing them next weekend.

Just a quick question.. Do you really need the rear wiper??? I thought of taking it out. And just flushing the whole in the boot...
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

Ero_sennin
SX Forumholic
Engine: SR

Post by Ero_sennin »

Riekert wrote:

Hehe thanx.

Just a quick question.. Do you really need the rear wiper??? I thought of taking it out. And just flushing the whole in the boot...
How many times have you driven in the rain?

If it rains I cant see frukol behind me without the wiper
SONY Xplod inside
SR20DET Powered Red RS13

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

Riekert wrote:

Hehe thanx.

when i had my boot spoiler removed i made the mistake of leaving my aerial in, and leaving my boot wiper in...

if i could do it all again, i would have all those holes filled in and the boot would be totally smoothed off!

if you're going to do it, go the whole hog!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Hotstuff
Club Rep

Post by Hotstuff »

Looks good Riekert... just one question though...

Why did you rather not buy a piece of vinyl that was 1200mm wide instead of the 610mm??? I only see now that you have a joint down the middle. It could become a bit of a problem after a while, esp seeing that your roof is one of the areas on your car that gets maximum exposure to the sun...

Other than that, I think your idea to use vinyl is innovative and a definite soulution to being indecisive about going for the panda-sx look.

Now all you need to do is give those windows a nice tint and as VC said, spray the wiperblade arms.

As for removal of the rear wiper.... DO IT! DO IT! I wanna flush out my antenna, rear wiper, rear window washer and boot spoiler holes to give it a flush and clean look.

:)
'92 White S13

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

What do you guys use for an aerial if you remove the stock one??

Hotstuff
Club Rep

Post by Hotstuff »

On my Skyline 2.8 GTX and my Datsun 160Z I have a flush mounted aerial that sticks onto the windscreen with 2 antenna that spread across the top of the window.

The unit (about 50mm x 50mm) fits behind the rear view mirror and the "arms" are about 300mm in length. Cables can then be run through the roof lining and down the A-pillar.

I bought these aerials at Windsor Garage in CT, dunno where to find them in Durbs or Jhb... Need to source one for my SX... :(
'92 White S13

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

Post by Vlade »

In Centurion / PTA - House of Sound sells them - very cheap IIRC
Hairdresser MX5

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

i must send the courier service to HOS in centurion then, cos i currently dont have an antenna...

which means i dont have radio...

which means i get stuck in traffic...

which means i get pissed off...

which means i get into trouble for mouthing off...

a cheap aerial sounds like a good solution.

hey BrenRoz Couriers - HOS is close to your HQ, hook it up on your way down here next time please!

Riekert
The Overlord

Post by Riekert »

Hotstuff wrote:Looks good Riekert... just one question though...

Why did you rather not buy a piece of vinyl that was 1200mm wide instead of the 610mm??? I only see now that you have a joint down the middle. It could become a bit of a problem after a while, esp seeing that your roof is one of the areas on your car that gets maximum exposure to the sun...

Other than that, I think your idea to use vinyl is innovative and a definite soulution to being indecisive about going for the panda-sx look.

Now all you need to do is give those windows a nice tint and as VC said, spray the wiperblade arms.

As for removal of the rear wiper.... DO IT! DO IT! I wanna flush out my antenna, rear wiper, rear window washer and boot spoiler holes to give it a flush and clean look.

:)
Thanx man... And thanx for the tips.
The guy i got the vinyl from could only organize the 610mm pieces thus the line in the middle, but ja, the vinyl has a 7 year guarantee on it so it should be ok.

Yip, The tinting of the windows is on the list. first wiper blades spray then remove rear wiper and antenna, then tinting windows.....

How will it look if the tailgate was also black? Any suggestions??

aka The Overlord

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

you know that car in your signature pic???

nothing like that one!

Riekert
The Overlord

Post by Riekert »

veecee wrote:you know that car in your signature pic???

nothing like that one!
but yours will.... and mine to.... someday...

aka The Overlord

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

i meant the black and white one...

i dont think you should do the hatch.

you have to know where to draw the line,

where enough is enough,

where chuck is waiting to kick your ass with his pinkie, cos you went too far!

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Do the headlights!! :D
Red 200SX S13, 1992, stock. <a href="/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=332">Engine rebuilt (click)</a>.