600x300x76mm INTERCOOLER

Wanted or for sale

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Gary57
Club Rep
Car: S13

Post by Gary57 »

Personally I would let anyone of those boys touch the inside of my motor. When I fitted my current intercooler, 600x200x63mm, I went for one that came off a std car. Off one of the Iveco trucks, it had the correct flow capabilities so I was happy. I bet this cooler will do a damn side better job than the ones those guys stock.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Well it will interesting to see how efficent it is. When you get it installed, get the temps and pressure and then we can see how good these guys are. Ill do the same, I will measure my current and the new one I will be fitting, then we can compare. Just for fun and learning.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Ok we can check when we are ready.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Gary I was thinking after I saw the size turbo you have and the fact that you are at see level that there is no way we would get the same application situation to see what the efficiancy differenses are of the coolers, I gues we will not know unless we ask the sns guys to test this like thay do audio brands, they take the same car same time of day and temp and check the coolers.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Yes we can. Altitude effects they mass of air not the tempreture of air. We will be looking at % not actual values.

If your air is thinner going into the turbo it will proportionally thinner when it comes out, as will mine be thicker. You will have less pressure going in so your exit pressure will be less aswell.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Now you lost me, help me right if I'm wrong, the efficiency of a cooler is measured by how well it cools down the air, you can make or get a cooler with no fins inside with straight tubes and no fins witch lets through moore air faster but it is not efficient because it does not cool down the air enough, so I think the temp has everything to do wth it, but I suppose we can still check the temp diffs in and out to see how much the temp dropsafter the outlet, but still turbo pressure and air density and pipe length and thickness and and and... has a big diffs when checking the efficiency.

For that matter we can strap a leaf blower to push air in and a fan on the cooler and get the temp in and out without other stuff then we should be ble to see the temp drop ot persentage drop

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

ok take this for an example... intake temp = 132degrees
exit temp = 24degrees

This give a tempreture efficency of 81%

Now regardless of altitude we now have the tempreture efficency. We can do the same for pressure. The intercoolers job is to cool down the air with the least pressure drop. We can calculate the efficencies of both whilst ignoring air density becuase the density will be proportional to the altitude.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

SOLD

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Not sold, so you are telling me that if I am here in Pta with a temp of 35 digrees C and you in durbs with a temp of 42 digrees C that the heat difss and the speed of the air and temp. of the air flowing over the cooler will give you a acurate reading of the in and out temp of the cooler here and there and compare it, regardless of the speed of the compressed air is traveling inside cooler and pipes and all other factors, that it will not effect the efficiency persentage of a cooler. Definately not sold.

It is the same as telling me to take a certain and same make 12" sub and a 1000w amp and istall it in 2 different cars with the same box and port size in a different inviroment( temp., air density etc.) that we will get the same performance or efficiency out of it.....NOOOOO WAYYYY and I know a cooler and sound is 2 very different things but it goes to the same point.

I understand what you are saying and so forth but I differ, for me the only way to test a certain item is to test it in presicely the same invironment otherwise you are wasting your time if you can not do that how can you with a 100% certenty say whitch product is better or worse. You will not convince me whatever you say and do.

Lets just go by this, I am not going to pay dubble for a product that does not have concrete proof that this product is better than that one. We all know some things are better than others but it has been tested and prooved in the same invironment.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

I ment I SOLD the intercooler, wasnt attacking you. :?

Yes what you saying is correct but if you just say - took the reading everyday for a week and so did I that would lead to a fairly good assumption. If you wanted to do it properly you do the experiment in a controlled enviroment, which non of us have so we will just have to do whith what we got, the open road.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Think of it like this... You would be taking air in at 35degrees C ,heating it up at the turbo, then cooling it down again at the intercooler with 35degreeC air. I would be doing the same. So therefore I would not be cooling the air down as much as you or visa versa but that is not what we are after, we after the efficency of it. Efficency is the the output value divided by the input value, Regardless what these value are.

The difference in the mass of air hitting the cooler would be small as you are colder than I am but I have more pressure. So you could say they would nearly cancel each other out. I am not saying that this would be 100% correct, cause its not, but for what we are trying to prove it would surfice.

I will give you the calculation if you do not believe me and you will then see that the difference will be minimal. PV=mRT, this is the simplest calculation you get, the molar mass formular.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Congrats on selling the cooler, thought you meant something else with the "Sold" word :roll: , Ya I'm still lost bla bla bla, I pulled this off the net:

To evaluate the UA you need enough info to calculate the heat transferred (Q) and the DTlm. Then UA = Q/DTlm. Sounds easy, right? It would be, if the data was available. To properly evaluate an intercooler you would need: the turbo air flow through the intercooler; the pressure and temperature of the air from the turbo; the intercooler outlet temperature and pressure; the outside air temperature; and either the mix temperature of the cooling air as it leaves the intercooler or the flow rate of that air.

Whatever that means.....point is I baught a cooler for cheep and can't return it but still before I pay R2000 for a cooler and another R300-R700 on piping and silicone I'd rather spend around R3500 and install water methenol. If people had stock and so forth I would have gone that root.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Again the ignorance of SA people (no offence), the aqua mist kit they sell uses the exactly the same pump as I do (only difference is the sticker). They are made in AUS for agricultural use, the sticker on mine says FOR AGRICULTURAL USE ONLY.
These pump can be bought in SA from a agriculural supplier, so why go out and spend R3500?? You can buy the solinoids from the same shop as well as the restrictors and sprayers/injectors.

I am runing FMIC and water injection, soon I will be making the intercooler sprayer to even further aid in the cooling.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

How much did your water meth kit cost?

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

I like the way this is going!!! tell me more tell me more tell me more

on your previous point - you didn't include removing the IC and getting all the sand out of it at the seaside ;)