FMIC overheating...

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

FMIC overheating...

Post by Vlade »

Hey guys was wondering, since all of yall is local and know about the harsh temperatures we have, who has experienced overheating when they fitted an FMIC? and what was done to solve the issue?

My car runs fine with the FMIC, but in bumper to bumper the temperature rises to the red, this has also happend to me on one or more occasion when running sideways for a bit.

My setup 600*300 IC with a set of dual 10" electric fans on the radiator that pulls air towards the engine...
Hairdresser MX5

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Car: S13
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

You should block the gaps between the FMIC and RAD (top,bottom and sides) to form a sort of cowling. That way the air passes through both FMIC and Rad instead of escaping thru the gaps and around the rad.
Remembering air takes the path of least resistance.

Im sure it might not sound like much but i hear it works a treat
sig[/sig]

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

Sounds like a plan I'll test it out the weekend with some cardboard if it works cool, i'll have some cut...
Hairdresser MX5

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

What is the piping and cooler made of?? Aluminum is the prper stuff too use because, Stainless retains ALOT of heat, hence the reason its used for manifolds. The car will get very hot if you are sitting in traffic, because of heat soak. A bigger radiator is the correct fix, we all know how small/thin the std 1 is.

Hope I dont have this prob when I fit mine (600x300x76mm), have 600x200x65 now. I am in Dbn and this place is MUCH hotter than Jhb.

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

My Piping is Stainless, Cooler is a 600*300*76...

Radiator is a must change since, it started leaking last weekend... Hopefully that and the plugging of the holes will solve the issue...

Need to get this sh!t sorted before the new engine... :wink:
Hairdresser MX5

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

What size radiator you going to fit?? Where you going to get it from??

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Changing the piping to aluminum will also help and render more power. Is the cooler aluminum??

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Guys, my car has the standerd radiator and IC but I don't experience the heat problem, sure it gets hot but not even half on the heat guage, I wonder why it differs.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

My motor stays nice and cool. On the open road cruzing the EGT is on average 750degrees and oil is on average 95degrees. Water gauge is just under half and doesnt go higher, even on a 34 degree day.

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

um..i could be wrong but i think vlade's car is starting to get pretty powerfull. We e-mailed ages back. you where stil looking for a replacement clutch hey vlade. Maby you should give us a rundown of whats in now. Did you get that mircrotech ecu...or waht was it that u wanted?

Also a decent 3 core rad will be a huge improvement over the crappy standard job. Maby silverton radiators will have something
sig[/sig]

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

:lol: She's still stock on the power department, sorta...

Ummm core size, damn I actually got no idea 50mm??? I know the standard one is 16mm can you believe it :?: I'm gonna go to Silverton radiators, they got shops all over pretoria, here what they quote, they might have to build me a custom one... But if its too much I might need to source some other car's radiator...

Then there is always the option of ditching the aircon, but don't know if I want to go that route...

I also have an idea that the current waterpump might be on its way out, don't know for sure and don't really care, the rebuild will have an new waterpump.

One of these would have worked pielle
Hairdresser MX5