Mods for my baby

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Dunn
Slipping Clutch
Car: Other

Mods for my baby

Post by Dunn »

hey sorry for not introducing myself properly yet,guys
But i have a stock standard 200sx

thinking of some mods but just basic bolt ons for the meantime

Frount mount intercooler
HKS SSV dumpvalve

now here's is the thing
Exhaust 63mm straight with one box at the back or
76mm (any recomendations)

Also lookin at a performance filter,
Cone or Mushroom and why is the HKS mushroom so pricey compared to the Simota just sum advice guys,any otha bolt on mods that i'm missing or which could already enhance such a great car(remember i coming from a Rsi conquest)would be a great help
Daily and Wifes car : Honda Jazz
ex Accord Type S
ex Impreza STI ver 6
ex 97 Civic Vtec
ex 99 conquest 20v
ex 92 200sx (apparently 135kw ATF stock)
ex Conquest RSI

Draco
Forum Whore
Car: S13

Post by Draco »

Nice to meet you,63mm is recommended if you going to stay std turbo, if not go 76mm, the mushroom is better according to ratings, it lets through a scratch of air more and has the newest tech.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

the 76mm exhaust would be better. Back pressure in a turbo exhaust system is evil, the less back pressure the better. But just watchout what the std computer might do because of the low back pressure, Im not sure.

If you are going to be running the std ECU dont put a dumpvalve. You need to put a recirculating BOV on. If you just dump into the atmosphere you will momentarily run rich and the run down (as soon as you tap off) because you are leaking out measured air. This is obviously not good for the turbo.

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

The turbo will be fine, you'l just run a tad rich everytime you get off the go pedal with a bov. TBH the fuel consumption increase was so minimal on mine i didnt even notice it while i still had my BOV.

The only problem with a larger exaust is that it will show earlier that your turbo seals are on their way out, the lack of back pressure could pull oil through the seals into the exaust with the standard tubby. A diffrent turbo or changing to a 360deg thrust bearing will sort that, or a real cheapy is the one way valve trick on your cam cover breathers
sig[/sig]

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

Daniel is absolutley right.
I did that on purpose, as the richier mixture cools down the combustion chambers as well, which means no holes on the pistons.

I also have only one back box & a real small one at that. The car has become very heavy on fuel since this conversation, but spools up alot faster tho'.

I just need a front mount Intercooler & then I can get the management system.....I just want 145KW on the wheels, is that so much to ask. :?
Steer From the Rear !!

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

The problem with running rich on the the tap off is all the unburt fuel goes into your turbo. The turbo is extremely hot so the fuel ignites and burns in the manifold and even worse in the turbo. Not very good to have an explosion on the turbo blades.

Dunn
Slipping Clutch
Car: Other

Post by Dunn »

Daniel wrote:The turbo will be fine, you'l just run a tad rich everytime you get off the go pedal with a bov. TBH the fuel consumption increase was so minimal on mine i didnt even notice it while i still had my BOV.

The only problem with a larger exaust is that it will show earlier that your turbo seals are on their way out, the lack of back pressure could pull oil through the seals into the exaust with the standard tubby. A diffrent turbo or changing to a 360deg thrust bearing will sort that, or a real cheapy is the one way valve trick on your cam cover breathers
]

The "the one way valve trick on your cam cover breathers" please explain
Daily and Wifes car : Honda Jazz
ex Accord Type S
ex Impreza STI ver 6
ex 97 Civic Vtec
ex 99 conquest 20v
ex 92 200sx (apparently 135kw ATF stock)
ex Conquest RSI

Daniel
200SX Maniac

Post by Daniel »

Take a trip to a local scrapyard and find a car with a decent sized engine. Look for the hose from the brake servo to the engine, there should be a small valve, remove it (take some of the pipe). Check the valve (you should be able to blow through one end and not the other). Fit the valve between the engine breather and the air intake. The valve must allow the engine to breathe out but not suck in.

I havent got one mind you, Id prefer to remove the breather to the air intake all together. No reason other than id like a hard pipe and that breather bugs me :?
sig[/sig]

Daniel
200SX Maniac

Post by Daniel »

oh and my turbo doesnt smoke so i cant be arsed to do it

[edit] now that i think about it neither does my engine and that doesnt seem to be getting anywhere either :oops:
sig[/sig]

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Daniel, Freddie was right, you touched on my problem I had all the time, my car does not have the connecting breather pipe across to the intake and pvc valve side, I remooved the copper washer(valve) and my problem of smoke and oil in the boost pipes is gone, basically the oppisite of what you are explaining to do in the "trick".

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

My pipe going to the PC valve is also blocked off, I was going to put it back on but now I wont. Thanks Derek. Do you guys still have the one breather connecting to the turbo intake pipe (befor the turbo)??

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

gary57, the breather pipe i'm talking about is the oppisite side of the intake side, the intake breather to the pvc valve is still standerd, the exhaust side is the one that had the washer in(right hand tappet cover breather pipe) that I took out.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

So you are still connected to the intake manifold?? Where are you breathing to when the plumen is under boost, because the PC valve is shut then?? You need to either breathe to atmosphere or into the turbo intake.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Yes, the left side tappet cover breather pipe goes from tappet cover straight to pvc valve, other side straight from tappet cover to turbo air intake, no washer (valve). I don't know where she breathes but she does now, as I said before I took the washer out..shit guts oil watewa..now fresh air.
As soon as you or someone figures it out let me know...

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

I am still not sure on what washer/valve you are talking about, mine never had one. My valve to the plumen/intake is blocked off, I dont know what pressure it is good for and would hate for it to leak when its under boost. The one pipe from exhaust side connects to the pipe on the front one on intake side. The other goes into the turbo intake. Do you all breathe into the turbo intake??