oil

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator
Car: S13

oil

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

I know this has been discussed many times but i would like to get a fresh perspective on it. at the moment im using luiqi molly 10w-40 but find that when my car is at running temp my oil pressure drops to 0.75bar @ idle 750rpm any suggestions to a better oil?
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Re: oil

Post by troopiec »

0.75 bar? That sounds too low, somethings not right or your oil pressure gauge not reading correctly, I run shell helix ultra 5w-30 and even after driving car hard and oil is very hot the pressure never drops below 2bar at idle for me, and most oil pressure tests I've done on other cars and oil types all ranged above 1.5bar, below 1bar doesn't sound good.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

drillergy with his sr experienced the same thing. when the car is cold the pressure is quite high on idle so i think its the oil itself
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

According to the FSM is should be over 0.78 bar @ idle, and 3.53-4.12 bar @ 3000 rpm

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Hmm, well there's a lot of factors that can influence it, what guage do you have? I've got an autogauge, it could even be over reading on my car, they all pretty much to give you a general idea if something immidiately wrong, but my idle is about 950rpm and I get around 2bar when I've driven the car hard, and that's with shell helix 5w30 fully synthetic, and on cold start its above 5bar, at around 3000rpm my gauge goes a bit over 3.5bar, climate also makes a difference, could be much hotter that side, but if you're not hearing lifter noisey and its still above FSM then u shud be safe, could even be your turbo feed line or the oil channel on the turbo is too large, can maybe try fit an oil restricter on the turbo if oil doesn't solve it.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

i got a drift performance products gauge should be accurate. but i still feel its to low so im going to change my oil

Grobblere
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by Grobblere »

Just connect a second sensor to confirm the reading.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Grobblere wrote:Just connect a second sensor to confirm the reading.
What oil are you using in your ca?

Grobblere
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by Grobblere »

I am using the Castrol Edge sport 10w-60, but only after the motor has been run in +-1000km

For run in id recommend just using a mineral, The magnatec (which is mineral as well) works well if you change at least every 5000km

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Magnatec is semi synthetic, 10w-40, shells equivalent is hx-7, but I heard from someone that magnatec isn't good for turbos apparently it foams, duno how true that is, but I've used the shell ultra 5w-30 since I've had the car and never had any issues and the motor is spotless inside, I changed every 5000km, sometimes even if the oil just looking a little too black for my liking I'll change it, if I had to run in an engine I wud use shell HX-5 which is 15w-40, fully mineral, use it in my moms nissan almera

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

i just want to move away from liqui molly

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

any thoughts on valvoline? 20w40?

Drillergy
SX Forumholic
Engine: SR

Post by Drillergy »

Gon a try Shell helix ultra

rat
Administrator
Car: R32
Engine: RB

Post by rat »

shell hx7 10w40 - has worked very well for me. Used it in a range of nissan motors. My ga16 after 7500km would still look clean. (CA/SR/GA/RB)

shell ultra 5w40 - even better used this only in my GTR

i have seen magnatec foam in a sr
Hot Plates are Sexy

ESSEXY-ZN
0.2 Bar Boost

Post by ESSEXY-ZN »

using castrol edge sport 10w60 here on my gtr. idle is at about 4bar when cold but drops to about 2.5 when warm. people say this oil may be alittle thick however i prefer it as i drive my R hard so when it warms up and "thins" out its still performs well.