Lifting rear of bonnet for cooling?

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Lifting rear of bonnet for cooling?

Post by troopiec »

Hi guys, just want some knowledgeble opinions on lifting the rear of your bonnet with washers. First of all i do not like how it looks atall, i like i clean well aligned body, but with my topmount manifold and turbo im just thinking of any ideas to get some of that latent heat out of the engine bay without having to cut my stock bonnet to place a vent, does lifting the rear of the bonnet help cooling or can it actually push the hot air back?

I read up on a few forums. honda tech, driftworx, etc and all of the guys have different views, some say when the bonnet is lifted it can actually prevent hot air from escaping normally as it forms a high pressure or something like that, and then other guys say yes it does allow hot air to escape.

Any thoughts or experiences?

thanks.

Gary57
Club Rep

Re: Lifting rear of bonnet for cooling?

Post by Gary57 »

Rather vent the bonnet if you have heat issues.

Ceramic coat manifold, about R1250, works like a dream. If you have overheating issues, fit bigger radiator and bigger fans... Lifting the back of bonnet is Gheto and looks kak.
DriftZ: "I swear if a CA18 beats my SR im getting a RB!"

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Really couldn't afford to ceramic coat my manifold, but I sprayed it with high heat spray and wrapped it nice and thick with some good quality wrap, it keeps the heat down nicely, I'm not having any overheating issues atall, I have a full alluminium uprated radiator already and run good quality 75percent coolant, operating temps sit as per standard no problem, but I just want to release some hot air from around the turbo just to help keep the under bonnet temps low you know. I'll do a vent if I have a spare bonnet, but I don't want to cut on my one and only bonnet

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

I personally like that ckean look but if you not having overheating issues then no need to stress. From what I heard raising the bonnet does work

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

Drillergy
SX Forumholic
Engine: SR

Post by Drillergy »

Front smash= decap.
Nuff said now move along

DriftZ
200SX Maniac
Car: S15

Post by DriftZ »

doesnt sound like you actually have cooling problems to start with,, if it aint broke .. dontushhitt.. also remember turbos actually like heat so unless your'e trying to cure a heat soak issue / across your bay to other areas like Intake.. i wouldnt bother.

That said i have done this mod before ( mod lol... its just a couple washers really ) but i did it as a shortcut to a cooling issue i was having on track ... and well it worked!! car ran 15deg + cooler i dont care what anyone says and ive never been decapitated, infact by my calculations you stand less chance of a decap with this mod ( but i did fail maths so who knows :P ). But as soon as i actually sorted my cooling issues with real parts i dropped the bonnet down to standard.

...rather spend your money / time on your girlfriend :)

mario_200sx
200SX Maniac

Post by mario_200sx »

Lifting bonnet at the rear is a bad idea, it actually makes cooling worse on the S13. Air flow is disrupted dramatically.
Rolling Thunder..........

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Freddy(Chemcool) actually tested this, he had a temp guage to take the temp inside the engine bay, after lifting the rear he recorded 10' C plus drop depending on wheather and driving.

When I did thes, I stood next to my windshield at front door and when the fans came on I fealt the heat blown out onto the windshield.

BigKriss
SX Forumholic
Car: S14
Engine: RB

Post by BigKriss »

Lifted mine as well, 10deg cooler at Swartkops on water and 15 on oil temp. Ducted the front and could drop the bonnet down again. The best for me was ducting and boxing in all the coolers..

mario_200sx
200SX Maniac

Post by mario_200sx »

BigKriss wrote:Lifted mine as well, 10deg cooler at Swartkops on water and 15 on oil temp. Ducted the front and could drop the bonnet down again. The best for me was ducting and boxing in all the coolers..
Ducting is the best solution.... works a treat.

aep886
SX Forumholic
Car: S14

Post by aep886 »

what we use to do overseas, we took the bonnet off for drag and track days! it 4 nuts and 2 lines for window washer! with proven result,

mario_200sx
200SX Maniac

Post by mario_200sx »

Many tracks wont allow that.

Obsession
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by Obsession »

Ok, so please explaine how i lift my bonnet. Body side or Bonnet side? Have to set the latch again?
Uno Turbo(Stock) Stolen!
Uno Turbo(Worked to hell and back..) Sold
1961 ford Anglia Cosworth Sold
Nissan 200sx...Everyday drive..
E46 M3...clutch pack exploded!!!! Need gearbox...

What The F)ck Ever...

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Spacers on body side or bonnet side, just easier to do alone if you use body side.

Lukem
Slipping Clutch
Engine: RB

Post by Lukem »

Does raising the rear suspension help the same? I always notice my car runs cooler when going down hill