How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Riekert
The Overlord
Car: S13
Engine: VQ

Re: CA18DET Topmount build and S14 T28 **ADSL**

Post by Riekert »

Looking damn good. Need to get a adaptor like that made up too. For the turbo inlet

Laters Riekert
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

:D Thanks Riekert. Yea its easy to make, just need some alluminium plate offcuts, a 63mm alluminium offcut pipe, an angle grinder, and a drill and hole saw, and some time, unfortunately i dont have the luxury of the equipment to weld alluminium so i had to pay a company R100 to weld it up, but hey in the end it costed me R120 to make that adapter, polishing the whole turbo in total came to R140 with that adapter.

heres some pics of how close the wastegate will sit to the compressor housing, theres quite a decent gap. I dont think itl be too bad, ive seen worse, with some heat shields and heat wrap i think itl be fine, i was kind of regretting not putting it on the exhaust housing side but ag itl be fine im sure.

Riekert
The Overlord

Post by Riekert »

Awesome! Think ill attempt it soon. So what has this set you back all in all?

Laters Riekert
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

sweeet work but i really hope thats not how you gonna connect the vacuum line
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Haha nope just a mockup to get an idea, got a boost controller I will be fitting correctly

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

lol ok just checking
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Right heres some updates:

welded up the manifold finished and then had the main flange skimmed:

then i ported the ports with a die grinder to match the gaskets and ensure smoth flow:

did this aswell with the T2 flange on the merge collector but forgot to take pics...

then i sprayed the manifold with hi-heat black paint, its only rated up to 600deg celcius, but ive had good luck with it in the past, it lasted over a year on a friends manifold i sprayed, lost its color and went a dull grey but still protected from rust:

then i wrapped it up in some nice black ceramic heat wrap, wasnt sure whether to do it as ive heard it can cause the welds to weaken and crack over time, but i needed to do it as my clearances are so close under the hood:

then after all of that i was able to finally start putting things together :D

looking quite good so far, still need to make an adaptor feed for my power steering, still need to finishd downpipe and water lines to turbo, but i have driven the car, just with a mockup water line from block back to intake line, and my airflow meter and filter held in temporarily and an old boost pipe connected, and the car is driving awsome :D boost kicks in a lil late due to my manifold design i think, as the runners are so long and fairly large inside diameter for an 1.8l, but when the turbo reaches full boost it really goes well, my wastegate spring is at 0.5, so i ran direct source pressure from my compressor housing to wastegate with top nipple venting to atmosphere and the car didnt boost over 0.6 and held 0.6 fully, reaches full boost at around 3500, and holds full boost right till 6000rpm (didnt want to take it higher) :lol: big improvement compared to my old T25 that would start to slack after 4000rpm. everything is healthy and im quite amped to have it done. although there is alot of work still to be done, ive got my FMIC to install and boost pipes and electric fans and battery relocation, but so long il drive it low boost with sidemount as ive been without the car for 5months now and i want to just drive it for a while before it needs to stand for more work.

Il attach a video of the drive i took. i put my standard bottom mount cast iron downpipe on and drove it without the bonnet so the downpipe faced up towards the sky, was pretty loud haha, midnight drive throught the neighbourhood tearing S#%t up :lol:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Riekert
The Overlord

Post by Riekert »

Fuck that looks sexy!!!

Laters Riekert

aka The Overlord

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Small update, did my boost pipe from turbo outlet, and did the inlet for airflow meter and filter, also you can see how i used the standard downpipe in the air to just drive the car around the block without burning my firewall. When get around to installing my FMIC then i can just connect my 63mm boost pipes to that 63mm coming out so no parts wasted for the small time i will be driving it side mount.

Must still do water lines and downpipe and power steering feed line adaptor, drove it with power steering belt off just to test so long.

its all coming together :D

rat
Administrator
Car: R32
Engine: RB

Post by rat »

Looking Good
Hot Plates are Sexy

BigKriss
SX Forumholic
Car: S14
Engine: RB

Post by BigKriss »

Would you like a water charge cooler for this ??

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Hey Bigkriss, you mean like what the new M5's use on their bi-turbo setup? Howcome do you ask? I do have a decent size front mount intercooler I will be installing shortly.

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Bit of progress, been busy with the new downpipe to meet up with my old 76mm exhaust. Some pics of the progress:

last bit of welding to be done today and then i can finally connect it to exhaust and drive it on the road without watching out for cops at every corner lol

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac
Engine: SR

Post by Charlvdw »

Nicely done.
197rwkw ,376nm

Driftmeister
0.4 Bar Boost