what are standard running temperatures on a sr20det?

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

azzkikr
Slipping Clutch
Car: S13
Engine: SR

what are standard running temperatures on a sr20det?

Post by azzkikr »

Iv scanned but can't find anything on the topic... Iv fitted a sr20det to my s13 sx. Just a bit worried about temps at which its running. Running temp on the water lines is between 90 and 100 deg, just over a hundred when boosting and climbs to 110. I know the questions will be asked, so a bit of info, I'm only boosting.5 bar. Thermostat has been removed. I have a switchh on a relay on the water line to switch the fan on at around 80deg, and a 16" electric fan. I also have 2 10" fans fitted to the front of the radiator on a toggle switch which I switch on once the car reaches 70degrees.

Am I worried about nothing or should I start worrying about bigger problems?

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Re: what are standard running temperatures on a sr20det?

Post by Enzio »

1) Put the thermostat back. That is your biggest mistake.
2) Putting fans in front of and behind the rediator only decreases the airflow through it if they overlap.

Sounds like you need to go back to the stock viscous fan and cooling setup. If the water temps go to 110+ you probably already screwed the HG.
Image S13 CA18DET, NIStune and...oh wait no that's gone..... Image

fuzz123
0.3 Bar Boost
Car: S14

Post by fuzz123 »

From what I can gather and read the thermostat opens at 76.5 Deg C. which means that the engine would run at approx 85-90 deg max. The standard SR20DET has a viscous fan in, so the more you rev the more it cools which in turn means the water temp does not go too high.

I would be worried about anything over 90. A hot engine can thin out oil, which can run bearings / turbo / cams etc etc etc. AND you can start warping the head.

If you look at the Rezlo SR20 it runs very cool while running on the track.

sly gxi
0.1 Bar Boost
Car: Other

Post by sly gxi »

with my setup if im in dead still traffic or on a very hot day,my water temp gauge sits on 90 deg. if im cruising around on a norm day its between 80 and 90. ive been told if it hits 100 your in trouble.

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac

Post by Charlvdw »

Enzio wrote:1) Put the thermostat back. That is your biggest mistake.
2) Putting fans in front of and behind the rediator only decreases the airflow through it if they overlap.

Sounds like you need to go back to the stock viscous fan and cooling setup. If the water temps go to 110+ you probably already screwed the HG.
Can't agree more.
Carrying more water and non restricted airflow is always a winner.
197rwkw ,376nm