SR20DET to VET conversion

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

200sx13.5
Slipping Clutch
Car: S13
Engine: SR

SR20DET to VET conversion

Post by 200sx13.5 »

Hi there guys. I have been lurking on this forum for a while, but this is my first post. I have spent some time reading the various sections, and have found answers to most of my questions, but there is still a few things I'm not sure about.
I have been without a 200SX for too long now, think it is about time to rectify the situation. But before I commit myself to it, I would like to know if my ideas / plans is feasible and attainable. This is where the Brains Trust of this Forum comes in.

1) The VET motor is FWD, and thus not compatible with the S13's RWD layout. Is there a way to modify the motor to fit the S13 chassis? (Mikes Place has two VET's in stock at R18900.00 each) Don't want to buy a VET motor and a DET just to do a head swop.
2) If the VET cannot be fitted to S13, the SL16 / SL20 VVL head fitted to the DET is the next option. Heard that the SL16 is the better head to use, is that so, and why? Are they obtainable here?
3) Would like to stroke the motor to 2.2L by either using the Tomei stroker kit or the HKS kit. HKS advises that you put Cylinder Liners in due to the block being weakened by the machining to fit the larger bore (86.5 or 87mm) pistons. Is this necessary? I would think yes, especialy if you want to build a big HP motor (I would like between 450-500bhp) Obviously all the other bits that goes with this kind of power will be included.
4) Body wise I would like to fit the nose of the S15 to the S13 (hence my nick, 200SX13.5). I love the overall body shape of the S13, the S14 looks too much like an camry :lol: :wink: , and the S15 is not obtainable here (only ever saw one for sale) Is this possible, and what would be the right route to follow? Import a S15 "Halfcut" and from where? Import the S15 Fenders, Bonnet, etc from Enjuku / RHD Japan (then the fenders is fibreglass, I would like to stick to sheetmetal) Has this been done before in RSA?
Would you fit the Carbon doors? I see they rate it for "offroad" use only. I want to build the car for mostly track and drag use, but it must still be streetable, so it must be roadworthy.

If money (yeah :facepalm: ) was no problem, what would your ultimate SR engined S13 build be? I have loads of other ideas of what I would like to do, but would like to know from you guys who has experience in building and maintaining these cars what you would do or not do, and why.
[smilie=200sx_200sx.gif]

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Re: SR20DET to VET conversion

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

hey welcome dude! is there any perticular reason you want a vvl sx? what kind of power you looking for?
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

200sx13.5
Slipping Clutch

Post by 200sx13.5 »

Hi there. I was led to believe the VVL heads flows better, and has better torque characteristics (smoother power, if that makes sense). Power, anywhere from 450-500bhp on high boost.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

the vvl heads are better but work out to be a expensive swap and that motor will develop high power but to get it that high you gonna have to throw alot more money into the car it will be cheaper and you will be better off just doing a rb25 swap and get reliable power. but if you worried about the extra front end weigh the a fully forged sr an fairly high boost will give you 350bhp and i can promise you these cars are a hand full on even 300bhp. do you want this car as a toy drag racer? drifter? or what? cuz with power like that you gonna need a big brake kit full suspension maybe a stronger box the list goes on.
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

200sx13.5
Slipping Clutch

Post by 200sx13.5 »

Idea is to have a nice Track and Drag car (not into drifting) but also streetlegal.
Yes, realise that stupid money will have to be spent. If my plans come to fruition, it will entail an full strip down, complete new suspension, coil overs, bigbrake upgrade, Z23 box, stronger diff, shafts, etc.
Had a look, Mazzworks in the USA sells a complete conversion kit for the DET/VVL conversion. It is expensive, but all the development / design / manufacturing has already been done.

I know the RB route is cheaper (would love to do an RB engined S13 too), but what fun is it to kick ass with an 6 cylinder when you can do it with a fourpotter!! :D :lol: :P

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

lol ja i know where you coming from i saw a vvl head for sale on the noc forum might be cheaper to just find a ve head and put it onto a det block but if you are going this route don't skimp forge the motor proper BB turbo and expensive management! i think there are a few thing you need to modify on a det to fit the ve head but no sure. what ever you decide make sure you start a build thread with plenty pics!

200sx13.5
Slipping Clutch

Post by 200sx13.5 »

If and when I start, I will.
Do you know if anyone has done it before in RSA?
What about the S15 nose grafted onto the S13. Possible? Been done before?

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

seen one vet sx for sale no one on this forum though. s15 front has been done overseas the closest we got is http://200sx.za.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2549 which is a silvia s13 front end

200sx13.5
Slipping Clutch

Post by 200sx13.5 »

Thanks. Would have loved to do a widened body too, but then it will have to be Fibreglass on carbonfibre, and I'm not too keen on that.
Any idea if it would be possible to get an S15 halfcut in? Been all over the net, can't find anybody bringing them in. If I decide to source and import one myself, there will probably be a lot of Red tape.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

that would be a awesome build

Pinkfluffybunnys
Over Boosting
Car: Other

Post by Pinkfluffybunnys »

What HP you looking at?

Also don't get a VET, Allot of stuff is very different on that motor.

You can easily fit a VET head to a RWD SR20 block, Run an external oil feed and sort out the cooling , And run a 20V CAS with coils.

You can Buy VET pistons and HG(MLS) from Greg (Gspec) , then get a nice snail like a GT30 as the VE heads like to breath and get 350HP all day

I will be VET'ing my DET soon :)
2008 Mazda 6 MPS - Daily Drive
1\4 Mile:
1993 Nissan Sentra 200STI SR20VE – Mild VE
1\4 mile: 14.815 @153km\h @ ODI --- 1KM:195Km\h

Because Race Car

200sx13.5
Slipping Clutch

Post by 200sx13.5 »

Please keep us up to date with process and problems (and solutions) you encounter.

Pinkfluffybunnys
Over Boosting
Car: Other

Post by Pinkfluffybunnys »

Please keep us up to date with process and problems (and solutions) you encounter.
For me its easy, I just have to fit an external oil line, then get a cam switcher.

There are two VET Sentra's I know of running around
2008 Mazda 6 MPS - Daily Drive
1\4 Mile:
1993 Nissan Sentra 200STI SR20VE – Mild VE
1\4 mile: 14.815 @153km\h @ ODI --- 1KM:195Km\h

Because Race Car

n1smo200sx
0.5 Bar Boost

Post by n1smo200sx »

Adam from ALB built VET motor into his drift car,he knows exactly what needs to be done.
maybe contact him.
My car's a Hybrid - it burns gas and rubber