Re: Affordable, daily, competitive drifter

Post by DriftZ »

looking good so far

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Post by Enzio »

What seat is that and where did you buy it?
Image S13 CA18DET, NIStune and...oh wait no that's gone..... Image

Drillergy
SX Forumholic
Engine: SR

Post by Drillergy »

+1 I need a full bucket and those look awesome!

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

They are available at auto racing extreme in cape town at R800

Distributor for ROTA wheels South Africa

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

I popped under the car to see if there was anything obvious on the prop that could have been causing the bad vibration, and it turns out the prop is only just in the box, way too short! I dropped the prop and took it to a prop center to lengthen and balance it for a great price...R500.

When I got it back I put it back in, got the engine mounts strengthened and the one side of the engine raised slightly, and to be safe I took all 4 wheels to be balanced and the rear tyres to be changed for a set of known good Dunlops I had.

Dropped the car off at Ferolli in the morning yesterday and got it back last night fully tuned. The prop and everything was great but the manual boost controller has seen it's day so it would allow it to boost up to 0.8 bar and then it tails back off down to about stock boost. As this is a budget build I've decided I am going to just keep it that way, the 0.8 bar kick is nice anyway.

The dyno results are:
180kw (stock basically)
340nm (30nm over stock)

I'm slightly disappointed as I wanted over 200kw but I'll try it out as is and if it isn't enough I get the controller replaced and everything checked over, and the car dyno'd again. Even though it is only running stock power, the delivery and torque is amazing so I don't think I'll have any issues running it as well as the green one.

Running cost:
Car + Full Conversion - R40000
Bucket Seat - R800
Steering wheel - (Free with car)
Exhaust - R3500
Boost Controller - R300
Cooling system, oil return and wiring items - R900
Radiator Fans - R400
Front Sway bar - R500
Exhaust mod - R150
Gauges - R1500
Exhaust fit and rubbers - R375
Cone filter, plugs, oil filter, fuel line and misc bits - R450
Tune - R1500
Engine mounts - R300
Wheel balance and Tyre change - R240
Prop - R500
Total so far - R51700

Things have slowed down slightly as I'm nearing the end due to funds and waiting on coilovers but the car will be ready for the 17th for it's shakedown.

I am waiting for the coilovers which I should have next week, also waiting on some spacers for the sway bar mounts to give that a try, then small items for roadworthy, license, weld diff and go drift.

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

The first shakedown is fast approaching and all the final bits are getting finished off.

I have serviced the motor and found that the sandwich plate from the SR won't work so for now the oil pressure and temperature gauges wont be working until I find suitable adapters for the senders (if anyone knows the thread sizes for the stock oil pressure switch on the RB25DET that would help a lot, also an alternative location for the oil temperature sender and it's thread size).
I managed to get the stock water gauge working on Jade's 1JZ S13 so I will be doing the same on mine to retain a stock daily drive feel.

I eventually managed to get the coilovers and found that the one front one was royally f*cked, so Ian Glass at GT shocks is making up an insert for it and I should have them back today.
I installed the rear coilovers so long:

Also dropped the diff to weld it and found out that it was a viscous (a VERY worn viscous), so I found the shims I had made up for the 14 diff and fitted them in (actually it's easier and more reliable than welding the diff if you do it right (ie. double up on the stock shim)
Stock shim which is 1.5mm is the one in the middle, I added 2x 0.75mm shims on either side

I also tried the spacers supplied for the sway bar with no luck. The motor sits too low in this car for any ordinary conversion parts so for the shake down I am going to test it without the sway bar and use very stiff front springs on the coilovers. if I don't come right I will modify the sump and make it work.

Total cost hasn't changed yet but I know that the coilover repair will be R950 and as far as I can see no further expenses other than R250 for alignment.

So to follow is fit the shimmed diff, fit the front coilovers, get it setup and aligned and enjoy the 17th!

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

FUEL PERFORMANCE
Over Boosting
Car: Other
Engine: RB

Post by FUEL PERFORMANCE »

Nice. Getting there.
Doesn't always take huge amounts of money as shown here.
FUEL PERFORMANCE SA-UK-EU
HIGH FLOW SA-UK-EU

- Fuel Pumps - Fuel Pressure Regulators - Widebands -

Online Shop - http://www.fuelperformance.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/FUELPERFORMANCEUK

DriftZ
200SX Maniac
Car: S15
Engine: SR

Post by DriftZ »

O P R wrote:Nice. Getting there.
Doesn't always take huge amounts of money as shown here.
Indeed ... but a huge amount of effort is being spent in the right places :) .. keep it up!

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

So the final update on the car as it has now been built, setup and drifted. If anyone is interested, it is up at R60k, not negotiable!

I had the coilies repaired at Ian Glass and that came to a total of R1083, not bad but it leaves the one front one without damper adjustment so I had to setup the original passenger side one to match the repaired driver side one's damper. Then I quickly fitted them, set the ride heights and took it for alignment and tyre fitting for the drifting coming up. I did manage to test the car in second gear in the dry right after this and man this thing drifts so easily!

Saturday arrived and I finished off the interior panels, wired up the temp gauge and loaded up for what was going to be a very wet drift day!

The drift session was a difficult one as Killarney was so wet it was like an ice rink but it allowed me to test the accuracy of the car setup and it's general handling. The car handled very well on it's first session with the ride height settings proving once again to be the best for the S body. The only two issues I had were the switches that were made off power were slightly twitchy, which will be rectified with a front sway bar as this is the same issue as the green machine; and the one radiator pipe popped off in which I shut the car off immediately mid drift and no damage was caused. The radiator pipe popped off due to a stripped clamp, simple small issue. No other issues on the car what-so-ever, very successful build.

Total at the end of the build:
Car + Full Conversion - R40000
Bucket Seat - R800
Steering wheel - (Free with car)
Exhaust - R3500
Boost Controller - R300
Cooling system, oil return and wiring items - R900
Radiator Fans - R400
Front Sway bar - R500
Exhaust mod - R150
Gauges - R1500
Exhaust fit and rubbers - R375
Cone filter, plugs, oil filter, fuel line and misc bits - R450
Tune - R1500
Engine mounts - R300
Wheel balance and Tyre change - R240
Prop - R500
Coilover repair - R1083
Alignment and tyre change - R395
Total so far - R53178

All in all I am very chuffed with the outcome and I have proven the build of a properly setup and daily drivable drift car for under 60k. I will post pictures and a video up of the evenings drifting as soon as Gallo puts them up but for now here are some static shots just before the drift practice and a teaser or two of the actual drift session:

Now to sell up and go to Aus to do it all again, BUY MY RBSX! :lol:
info@kaihatsu.co.za

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

So here is a quick vid of the very wet and slippery shakedown:
http://youtu.be/7cutrrzNH6o

And some more images:

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

Done, dusted and sold! Shortest project thread?

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za