How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

BigKriss
SX Forumholic
Car: S14
Engine: RB

Re: Project Greenstone.

Post by BigKriss »

Slowly getting ready for the RB26 transplant.
Needed all the pull stuff for the clutch unit . Found these from RB Motorsport in the U.K.

RB25SX
Over Boosting
Car: R32

Post by RB25SX »

U should return the clutch to previous owner. Will save u a lot of modifying ... :D
R32 GTR

BigKriss
SX Forumholic

Post by BigKriss »

It would hey ...! Dispatched on Friday afternoon in the U.K. delivered in my hands yesterday,Monday !! What service from these guys.

BigKriss
SX Forumholic

Post by BigKriss »

For about a week now I have this extremely unnerving phenomena in the front suspension whereby the front geometry would change mid corner !!

I would go into a fast sweep at some 150 odd and as the corner tightens the nose of the car would suddenly pull hard into the corner ! This was very concerning as I had the rear wanting to step out when this happened.
I have checked and double checked everything and everything was tight and solid , yet this twitch and looseness persisted.
I finally found the problem today and it scared the shit out of me !!
Had the car on the hoist at the shop while Stew, Planedriver was messing around with his car.
I was checking the caliper bolts and mounts and as soon as I put some pressure on the power bar on the left I saw the wheel move probably a 1/4 inch !
Pushed the other way and sovari, it went the opposite way. Now I was looking at what was moving and saw the culprit ! Those good quality rose joint suspension stuff that I have in ?
The inner ball joint adjuster on the lca was jumping threads and wobbling as I moved the wheel in and out !!
Called Stew over to come look see and the removed it all.
The lock nut was loose but against the tube, the tube end was bell mouthed !!!! I could almost remove a threaded 28mm diameter end plug by wobbling it back and forth where it should screw out !!
After closer inspection I found the end of the tube to be fatigue cracked , causing the bell mouth and the lack of strength in the threads !! Fark me gently, I shudder to think what could have happened here.

I did a heath Robinson repair and came home. Once at home I removed the full left front suspension and went through everything.
Machined a collar and press fitted it over the tube end as a temporary fix. Removed the lock nut and screwed the plug in all together.Also copious amounts of medium Locktite and I'm happy it wont come out at all.
Rezlo warned of something similar on the N forum but that was wrong ID tubing and the threads were not cut deep enough. My ones the threads are perfect, its just that the ends opened up, releasing the lock nut and then things started to wobble until it started jumping a thread or two !

My collar fix has brought the tube end back into spec but this shit needs to come off my car quick !
Already programmed the cnc to machine some plugs, seems I may just make my own stuff in future..Only thing I cannot do due to not having the facility is to purge weld the chrome molly tubing and then heat treating it all..
I am also toying with the idea of doing full billet lca`s like we did for the race cars ..

Guys, no shit ! Check your suspension stuff out regularly if you got rose joint stuff in your car..

Draco
Forum Whore
Car: S13

Post by Draco »

Shit...and you did not buy low end stuff...just showes you.

POWDER
Club Rep
Engine: SR

Post by POWDER »

Hey Barry, thats a kak one to hear man, to think it could very well have ended up seriously. . . . Luckily u seem to have a higher power looking out. . . . Thank goodness u found it before it lost you good man. . . .

Sent from some crappy hand held device.
Carpe Diemotor - Sieze the motor today
- Nissan 200SX S13 92' SR20DET
http://200sx.za.net/phpBB3/garage_vehic ... cle&VID=14

BigKriss
SX Forumholic

Post by BigKriss »

Today I changed all the fluids in the car. Splashed out and got Red Line everything.
I noticed the oil pressure was slightly down at certain revs , probably due to the viscosity of the new oil. Suggest 5w30 but I went for 5w40.
Gearbox is superb ! Stuck Red line 75/90 into that. Same in the diff.
All in, keep you posted here as to what I find..

Drillergy
SX Forumholic

Post by Drillergy »

Im also going redline on the gearbox and diff. As well as water wetter. I hear its a great product.

BigKriss
SX Forumholic

Post by BigKriss »

50 kay home and back trip I can without a doubt say that the engine is loving the oil !
Gearbox is a different story. Very notchy and slow or else it wont go in. Mmmm. Last night I actually thought Id buggered the box as I could not get it out of gear.
Ill give it more time and see..

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

that sounds bad
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

rat
Administrator
Car: R32

Post by rat »

On the skyline forums the guys love redline gear/diff oil. Most of them say its like a new box.
Hot Plates are Sexy

DriftZ
200SX Maniac
Car: S15

Post by DriftZ »

rat wrote:On the skyline forums the guys love redline gear/diff oil. Most of them say its like a new box.
Properly sorted my MX5 box out aswell

BigKriss
SX Forumholic

Post by BigKriss »

I must also say, my box has not been the best from day 1 when it was rebuilt and fitted.
I am going to give it a bit more time and see how things go.
I do not put the blame on the Redline, at all. I do know the box is not that good.
Been saving the good box for the transplant. 8)

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

I changed to Liquimoly and my noisy box was sorted, smoother changes and silent.
DriftZ: "I swear if a CA18 beats my SR im getting a RB!"

Drillergy
SX Forumholic

Post by Drillergy »

You must check as there is 2 types of gear oil from Redline.

One is shock proof and one isnt.