Overheating

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

widowmaker
200SX Maniac
Car: S13

Post by widowmaker »

very true!

if only i could make us some fitting that pulls cold air from the left hand little grill in the bumper instead... oh wait i have...

im so glad you posted last. people dont read threads when they see i've posted last... oh wait... now ive just posted this... SOMEBODY SAY SOMETHING!!!

anyhoo, i had a point to start typing... some people here lift the back end of the bonnet a little so the HOT AIR goes out there.

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

widowmaker wrote:some people here lift the back end of the bonnet a little so the HOT AIR goes out there.
Since we're all picking on ChemCool :D

So they lift the bonnet, which lets out some HOT air. They turn on the fan and the HOT air goes into the cabin from the intake vents under the windscreen. Jislaak, now it's getting hot in the cabin, so they turn on the aircon to cool down the HOT air that once originated from the engine bay. This makes the aircon hot and bothered, so more heat needs to get extracted from the aircon via the aircon radiator. Wow, what do you know, the heat somehow made it's way back into the engine bay :lol:

Hehe just kidding. Obviously not *all* the heat goes into the cabin :lol:
Red 200SX S13, 1992, stock. <a href="/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=332">Engine rebuilt (click)</a>.

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

a hot cabin doth not a friendly driver maketh :lol: ole kazakstani say

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

oh oh oh i almost forgot!
ole plick saying : chrome mags reflect the sun's hot rays into the black wheel wells, adding heat to the bay!

ooooh im in a good mood today! (and im late)

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

But that doesnt look cool man... (the bonnet lift thingy)

anyway - its fine to swap polarity, but i think you also have to turn the blade around too. cant remember exactly, but i did either one or both of those things to get my fan to suck.

i hope you didnt use hte fan as a blower type on the wrong side of your radiator? cos that would've worsened the situation.

also the white stuff in your water points straight at a blown headgasket. sorry broo.

the noise coming from the top of your engine could've been the ballbearing in the Pressure Control Valve. its at the back of the plenum and points towards the middle of the engine bay, and has a breather hose connected to it. although this makes more of a fast loud tapping sound, more than a grating sound.

grating sounds on startup is usually the starter motor teeth that dont engage properly with the flywheel.
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

maybe the starter gear is rusted since you have water in the sump where the oil should be and oil in the radiator where the water should be :lol: and your in durban

you now have a well lubed water pump though!

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

antifreeze contains water-based lubricating agents!!!

you should know about that widow.
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

aaaaarrrrggg go away!
(and your moms quite nice)

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

you watch too much TV dude!

go fix your car rather!

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

I had a traffic experiance yesterday where I saw coolant tempretures as high as 105 degrees, this was purely because of heat soak.

Does anyone know what electric fans fit the radiator nicely, I hate the electric fan look but I need it now. Also does anyone know how I can suck air in the left hand side of the engine bay, I think I need some cool air for my cone filter.

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac
Engine: SR

Post by Charlvdw »

Gary
Howbout you put your cone filter where your standard IC use to be, it should be well vented and cooler there??? :?:

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

charl's idea is a good one.

two 12" fans fill up a stock radiator nicely.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

The pipe will be too long if I put the filter there, it would be like breathing through a long straw.

I used to have a pipe that would draw air from the vent below the front indicator, but the pipe broke and I have never replaced it.

I think I have a serious heat soak issue because my car sucks balls during the but at night it hauls ass.

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac
Engine: SR

Post by Charlvdw »

If the straw is thick enought you wont have trouble breathing.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

I am thinking it is a good plece to put the cone filter....but....what happens when it rains.....