Where to start ... (just got my 200sx)

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

captain7616
Car: S13

Post by captain7616 »

hey guys,

Thanks for all the info .....
lucky i didnt buy for my everyday car ..... something i have been looking for ... for ages .... as advised , I am going to start smalll ... then work on it over time ... ,
I was chatting to an engineer who machines cylinder heads , and I spoke about gas flowing, he said I should just clean it up on a turbo motor , it wont make a difference as it is compressed air going into the head, he said i would be wasting my bucks ? would anyone disagree (i am new to 4 stroke motors and turbos), I am going to send the head in anyway, for a full recon , figured that if i am stripping i may as well , in fact also going to replace all the seals and bearing in the block too (crank etc)

aep886
SX Forumholic
Car: S14
Engine: SR

Post by aep886 »

captain7616 wrote:hey guys,

lucky i didnt buy for my everyday car ..... something i have been looking for ... for ages .... as advised , I am going to start smalll ... then work on it over time ... ,
I was chatting to an engineer who machines cylinder heads , and I spoke about gas flowing, he said I should just clean it up on a turbo motor , it wont make a difference as it is compressed air going into the head, he said i would be wasting my bucks ? would anyone disagree (i am new to 4 stroke motors and turbos), I am going to send the head in anyway, for a full recon , figured that if i am stripping i may as well , in fact also going to replace all the seals and bearing in the block too (crank etc)
The power comes from the head... so think for yourself
current vehicles...
1979 Corolla SR5
1996 S14 200sx

CHRISTO123
Slipping Clutch

Post by CHRISTO123 »

HI , IM ALSO NEW TO THE FORUM. IN THE SAME BOAT AS YOU . I WAS AFTER JEREMY BOLTMANS BLACK 200 SX BUT WAS 2 LATE. THEN THE GR8TEST LUCK CAME MY WAY . I WAS OFFERED A 1992 200 SX WITH 35 000Km ON CLOCKS. THE SX ALONG WITH A MX 6 , A FEW CADILACKS & I BELIEVE 1 ROLLS , OWNED BY A FARMER IN THE FREE STATE & HOUSED " COVERED " IN A BARN FOR THE PAST 14 YEARS , WAS FOUND ( A TRUE BARN FIND ) . NEEDLES TO SAY MY SX , STOCK STANDARD , IS BRAND NEW INSIDE & OUT.

SAFETY 1ST . I HAVE STARTED AS FOLLOWS : SET OF 225 x 45 X 18 RIMS & TYRES FULL ROLL CAGE WITH BRACING STRUT ON BACK SHOCK POSTS FOR STIFFENING OF THE BODY , AT TNT . DONE FULL 76mm STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST FROM TURBO FINISHED AT THE BACK WITH A POLISHED SILENCER BOX & 100mm DIAMETER TIP . COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K& N FILTER . BRAKE UPGRADE IS NEXT. FOLLOWED BY 2 x DECENT COBRA RACE SEATS WITH 6 POINT HARNESS FROM ATS. FOLLOWED BY KONI SPORT SUSPENSION WITH H&R SPRINGS , LOWERING MY RIDE BY 35mm & ACCORDING TO STEVE AT KONI WILL GIVE ME A DECENT HANDLING VEHICLE & NOT SO LOW AS TO CATCH ON EVERY PEBLE. WITH SAFETY DONE. , I PURCHASED A NEW GARRETT BALL BEARING TURBO , SIZE GT2871R WITH .68 TURBINE SIZE , GOOD ENOUGH TO FLOW ENOUGH AIR TO SUPPORT 450BHP DIRECTFROM " TURBODIRECT " IN MEYERTON AT R 9 500 - 00 excl. vat.I VISITED STEVE AT " NO SWEAT RACING " ALSO IN MEYERTON & CONTRACTED WITH HIM TO DO THE TURBO UPGRADE , TOP MOUNT EQUAL LENGTH TURBO MANIFOLD , ALL NEW INJECTORS , DICKTATOR MANAGEMENT , BOOST PIPING & FM INTERCOOLER APPROX 600 x 300 x 76 mm . WITH B.O.V . THE SX WILL ALSO BE TREATED TO A DECENT CLUCTH . I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A SOLID 380 ~ 420 BHP AT THE MOTOR, IN A VERY SAFE WAY. I INTEND USING THE SX AS A " BIT OF A TRACK CAR " , FOR MYSELF & MY SON , TO ENJOY .

ONCE ALL MODS " FOR NOW " HAVE BEEN COMPLETED , THE INTERIOR WILL BE DONE & COVERED IN ALCANTARA , ALL OVER , & ALTHOUGH THE ORIGINAL RED PAINT WORK IS STILL EXCELLENT , I PLAN TO ALTER PAINT SCHEME A BIT , BLACK TOP & RED BOTTOM WITH 2 TONE SILVER / ANTRACITE GREY SUBTLE STRIPING . HOPE YOUR BUILD GOES WELL & I CANT WAIT TO ENJOY MY NEW BABY. CHEERS , CHRISTO ( VEREENIGING )

aep886
SX Forumholic
Car: S14

Post by aep886 »

CHRISTO123 wrote:

HI , IM ALSO NEW TO THE FORUM. IN THE SAME BOAT AS YOU . I WAS AFTER JEREMY BOLTMANS BLACK 200 SX BUT WAS 2 LATE. THEN THE GR8TEST LUCK CAME MY WAY . I WAS OFFERED A 1992 200 SX WITH 35 000Km ON CLOCKS. THE SX ALONG WITH A MX 6 , A FEW CADILACKS & I BELIEVE 1 ROLLS , OWNED BY A FARMER IN THE FREE STATE & HOUSED " COVERED " IN A BARN FOR THE PAST 14 YEARS , WAS FOUND ( A TRUE BARN FIND ) . NEEDLES TO SAY MY SX , STOCK STANDARD , IS BRAND NEW INSIDE & OUT.

SAFETY 1ST . I HAVE STARTED AS FOLLOWS : SET OF 225 x 45 X 18 RIMS & TYRES FULL ROLL CAGE WITH BRACING STRUT ON BACK SHOCK POSTS FOR STIFFENING OF THE BODY , AT TNT . DONE FULL 76mm STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST FROM TURBO FINISHED AT THE BACK WITH A POLISHED SILENCER BOX & 100mm DIAMETER TIP . COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K& N FILTER . BRAKE UPGRADE IS NEXT. FOLLOWED BY 2 x DECENT COBRA RACE SEATS WITH 6 POINT HARNESS FROM ATS. FOLLOWED BY KONI SPORT SUSPENSION WITH H&R SPRINGS , LOWERING MY RIDE BY 35mm & ACCORDING TO STEVE AT KONI WILL GIVE ME A DECENT HANDLING VEHICLE & NOT SO LOW AS TO CATCH ON EVERY PEBLE. WITH SAFETY DONE. , I PURCHASED A NEW GARRETT BALL BEARING TURBO , SIZE GT2871R WITH .68 TURBINE SIZE , GOOD ENOUGH TO FLOW ENOUGH AIR TO SUPPORT 450BHP DIRECTFROM " TURBODIRECT " IN MEYERTON AT R 9 500 - 00 excl. vat.I VISITED STEVE AT " NO SWEAT RACING " ALSO IN MEYERTON & CONTRACTED WITH HIM TO DO THE TURBO UPGRADE , TOP MOUNT EQUAL LENGTH TURBO MANIFOLD , ALL NEW INJECTORS , DICKTATOR MANAGEMENT , BOOST PIPING & FM INTERCOOLER APPROX 600 x 300 x 76 mm . WITH B.O.V . THE SX WILL ALSO BE TREATED TO A DECENT CLUCTH . I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A SOLID 380 ~ 420 BHP AT THE MOTOR, IN A VERY SAFE WAY. I INTEND USING THE SX AS A " BIT OF A TRACK CAR " , FOR MYSELF & MY SON , TO ENJOY .

ONCE ALL MODS " FOR NOW " HAVE BEEN COMPLETED , THE INTERIOR WILL BE DONE & COVERED IN ALCANTARA , ALL OVER , & ALTHOUGH THE ORIGINAL RED PAINT WORK IS STILL EXCELLENT , I PLAN TO ALTER PAINT SCHEME A BIT , BLACK TOP & RED BOTTOM WITH 2 TONE SILVER / ANTRACITE GREY SUBTLE STRIPING . HOPE YOUR BUILD GOES WELL & I CANT WAIT TO ENJOY MY NEW BABY. CHEERS , CHRISTO ( VEREENIGING )

pic will be good^^
current vehicles...
1979 Corolla SR5
1996 S14 200sx

CHRISTO123
Slipping Clutch

Post by CHRISTO123 »

pic will be good^^[/quote]

WILL POST WHEN DONE !

Riekert
The Overlord
Engine: VQ

Post by Riekert »

dude thats blasphemy...

You can't rip a completely mint stock SX apart like that...

You can rather take mine and give me that one :D

hehe

But with all seriousness... if I was you I would source another car to build a track car with... and keep that one as is... I mean if its in the condition you say it is it will be a collectors item...

just my 2c as a avid sx supporter...

Keep this one stock!
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

Grobblere
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by Grobblere »

I agree with Richard!!!!!!!

Why mod a classic....especially to the levels of a track car!

P3g4sus
Club Drifter
Car: Supra
Engine: 2JZ

Post by P3g4sus »

Riekert wrote:dude thats blasphemy...

You can't rip a completely mint stock SX apart like that...

You can rather take mine and give me that one :D

hehe

But with all seriousness... if I was you I would source another car to build a track car with... and keep that one as is... I mean if its in the condition you say it is it will be a collectors item...

just my 2c as a avid sx supporter...

Keep this one stock!
+100000000

Thats a rare find, and will be a loss to lose a car of that condition.
Power is nothing without control,
Control is not fun without power.
Traction is over rated. :twisted:

harleyzx1400
0.1 Bar Boost

Re: Where to start ... (just got my 200sx)

Post by harleyzx1400 »

Hi, All. I am a new member in Cape Town and have just bought a 1994 200SX with 30500km (genuine) km's done. The car is in very good condition as it has been garaged all of its life. Had a couple of dents which I had removed by paintless dent and has a couple of scratches. I think the previous original owner used it as a rack for boxes in her garage!! I have fitted a Powerflow 63mm stainless exhaust and a Walbro fuel pump. I want some extra power but do not want to go the SR20 route yet, as the mileage is still too low on the car. Futura rims with 215x45x17 on front and 225x45x17 have also been fitted. I have ordered a set of Tein basic coilovers from Jerry at Importparts in Jhb and this should be here next week. The stock ride height is way to high, and the car "floats" at speed. What do you guys suggest for some extra power?

djtreble
Over Boosting

Re: Where to start ... (just got my 200sx)

Post by djtreble »

T28, boost controller and Nistune to get it all tuned. Bigger injectors as well and make sure your elbow and downpipe are also 63mm or get those items changed too as your larger exhaust will do nothing if your elbow and downpipe are limiting your system.

Distributor for ROTA wheels South Africa

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za