Overheating

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

you shouldnt have a problem then...

the important thing is that the air that the fan is moving is forced through the radiator, and is not able to escape elsewhere.
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Ero_sennin
SX Forumholic
Car: S13
Engine: SR

Post by Ero_sennin »

Nope no problems so far, temp has been fine even on hot days, but the again my aircon isn't working yet. Untill I can get my aircon pipes modyfied for the different AC compressor. Just hoping the compressor works tho.
SONY Xplod inside
SR20DET Powered Red RS13

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

mmm erm mmm may i throw some spanners here to get you clever chinas thinking?

ok then - think about this:
the standard viscous fan isn't even close to the radiator (ok the shroud is with that youngwan, but)
picture the FLOW - if a fan is a leeetle way back it sucks air from quite a bigger DIAMETER of radiator, which methinks will help. close up to the rad it makes that little dia cold, while creating hotspots in other areas. and metal doesnt like hot/cold... but thats another topic
BUT!
the water passing through a "cold" spot won't get cooled down in time before it reaches the hot spot - it takes time you see... then it goes back to the real hot spot...

coupled with your car going forward and creating its own wind i think youre faaking with the space/time continuum (see? i didn't say fuck)

enough spanners, FLAME AWAY!

Trance101
0.9 Bar Boost
Engine: RB

Post by Trance101 »

@Gary: Its only recently that its been doing this, I drove my sx all the way from joburg to Durban when I first bought her and it was fine. Now I think that the combination of having the aircon working again and that my new FMIC is blocking some air flow to the radiator is causing the problem. Plus, the temperatures we are getting here isn't helping matters

@veecee: Thanks, i think fitting another 12" will be my best bet. i wasn't sure if it would fit. If you say the aircon wouldn't really affect the temp then maybe its my FMIC blocking airflow. Its newly installed as well.
RB25 S13 - in a perpetual state of broken-ness...

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

hello!!!

now it all makes perfect sense! :roll:
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Trance101
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Trance101 »

veecee wrote:hello!!!

now it all makes perfect sense! :roll:
Didn't think of the intercooler causing a problem until now... Well it had crossed my mind but so many people do this mod and I haven't read of anyone having over heating problems because of it.

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

plus you live in one of the hottest cities in the country?

Trance101
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Trance101 »

veecee wrote:plus you live in one of the hottest cities in the country?
Yeah, that doesn't help. Also, thats the reason that I ned my aircon working... :wink:

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

@window - right on, I was just about to post the same thing. That's why I said the shroud is all-encompassing, as in, it covers the whole radiator, so that the air flow is through the entire surface area of the radiator, whereas electric fans flush against the radiator only cools that little spot they are covering and with strong enough wind and turbulence a lot of hot air will actually circulate in the engine bay. The shroud prevents all this and directs the hot air nicely away from the radiator. As I said, don't under estimate the importance of the shroud.
Red 200SX S13, 1992, stock. <a href="/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=332">Engine rebuilt (click)</a>.

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

Toby wrote:and with strong enough wind and turbulence a lot of hot air will actually circulate in the engine bay. The shroud prevents all this and directs the hot air nicely away from the radiator.
the shroud also directs all that hot air straight onto engine, which is in the engine bay.

a lot of hot air circulates in the engine bay regardless of wind and turbulence.

i agree that a shroud is the best option, but its not an option available in south africa if you are looking to go with electric fans.

so in order to help prevent overheating problems you need to mount the electric fans in the most effective manner possible. flush against the radiator!

Trance101
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Trance101 »

Ok, I bought a new fan and fitted it this afternoon. (it turned out to be a fan that blows instead of sucks (:roll: that sounds a bit odd) but that isn't my biggest problem)

When I took it for a test drive its goes ok until it heats up. Once its hot I start getting a bad misfire if I try rev above 4800 rpm :(

There is a little bit of white smoke coming out of the exhaust and a small ring of white stuff appears in the radiator if I rev the engine... so I'm pretty sure my head gasket is bad... :( Would this cause my sx to misfire above 4800rpm or could that be summing else?

I'l do a compression test 2moro and see what it shows.

Also, I got a terrible grating sounds when I tried to start my car for the test drive the first few times... it almost sounds like its coming from the throttle body... but it may just be reverberating from the head. What could the possible culprits be? cam bearings? It went away completely after about the 3rd start.

Also think one of the big end bearings is going... *sigh* seems a rebuild may be in order. I really hope I can still make the Breakfast run to Ballito...

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

hey mayoman, unless the fan has electronic goodies in it, you can just swap the wires, then the blower becomes a sucker

Trance101
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Trance101 »

widowmaker wrote:hey mayoman, unless the fan has electronic goodies in it, you can just swap the wires, then the blower becomes a sucker
Thanks, widow. I though that may be the case, but decided to do some research first before I try. Didn't want to blow summing. Thanks, for clearing that up.

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

cant see a real reason why they'd put electronic stuff in there, so i think yer safe to tune them wires - but maybe wait until the grownups arrive on the forum to give their experteeism
veecee wrote: a lot of hot air circulates in the engine bay
and on the forum :lol:

Slide 'em Wide
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by Slide 'em Wide »

Well the head gasket and engine problems are :!: serious. I learned with my na ca18de. picked up a slight cooling problem and i was on a long drive. this was my first experience of "heat soak" :?

This happens when the motor starts running hot, the engine bay too begins to heat up and with that the air temp starts to go up. what happens next is the fuel does not atomize properly and leans the mixture out. when this happens your motor starts to run hotter and the problem compounds!

This left me with a costly rebuild that i may have avoided by just pulling over for 15min or so. Given my baby time to recover and then solved the "minor" issue promptly.

This is also why i dont believe in cone filters.( they suck hot air unless set up in a cold "housing")

Plus this may only count for na engines, the turbo version may be able to handle more heat.

i dont quote this as the absolute truth. Just hope it can help others not to pay the same price.

What Id rather be dooing!