some usefull brake info..

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

300sx
0.8 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Post by 300sx »

i have the Hilux pads ATM-is the Landcuiser pad wider than those??
the Hilux pads fits on the 30mm discs-does the Cruiser pads fit also?If the sweep is like it looks it will be worth it get pads skimmed to fit for better braking.
sorry only reply now, did not see this..

the cruise pad is 58mm wide.. no idea how wide a hilux pad is?
with this pad and the 300zx caliper positioned correctly, only 12mm of the massive 320mm murano disc is not swept..

but the pads wil have to be skimmed, they barely fit on the 28mm disc, plus i had to remove the anti squeek backings..
300zx fairlady 1991
200sx s13 with vg30det @ 1bar

300sx
0.8 Bar Boost

Post by 300sx »

time for more pics.. :D as always , click on pic for bigger pic, again for close up

pads sitting as they should, right on the edge of disc..

had to have another set of brackets made, the bought ones was out :evil:

after messing around with z32 brake lines, i realised that the stock lines will fit with a small mod.. duh!! :wink:

now thats brakes!! doubt these will fit anything smaller than 17" mags.. ignore the funny coloured rim, was experimenting with colours.. they still have to be refurbished.

brake impressions will follow, have not drivin the car yet, busy fixing a oil leak on the cam seals..
Last edited by 300sx on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
300zx fairlady 1991

Drillergy
SX Forumholic
Engine: SR

Post by Drillergy »

Your set up just gets better and better!!!!

godzilla
0.3 Bar Boost

brakes

Post by godzilla »

I must say this site is a wealth of useful info(most of the time) even if ts not used on an SX. I have been scouting for a brake set up for my RB powerd backie for ages but now ill do the following after reading this post.
So far I have a set of S14front calipers but after reding this ill run the Murano disks-cross drilled,Landcruser pads,Toyot hilux hubs(5 stud)( not from this site) and just get the monting bracket made up for the perfect offset and custom braded hoses,with a new SE hardbody master cylinder. Hows that for a "custom "brake set up .thanks for th good info NOw what do i do about the back brakes- ill drill the shafts to 5 stud but i want disks in the back any ideas out there?

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

xtrail rear discs, and r33/z32/r32rear 2 pot calipers.
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

godzilla
0.3 Bar Boost

brakes

Post by godzilla »

the xtrail disks,ok but the calipers from the r32,r33 wont work as the hand brake is a seperate unit inside the inner part of the disk,works like a brum brake).so maybe some bmw calipers ?( if there is a combind caliper and handbrake) a custme mounting plate to mount the calipers and custom hand brake cables?!?! I do need the hand brake to work to induse a drift?!?? do the SX's calipers have a combined hand brake?

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

could work...

i have seen guys put smaller 2 or 4 piston calipers on the back along with the normal calipers, to use as a handbrake setup. this was then attached to a hydraulic handbrake lever.

sounds a bit hillybilly tho - and not sure if its feasible as a long term solution.

however this is also the wrong place to discuss this - 300zx - if you'd like me to split these posts from your article just say so, and its done!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

300sx
0.8 Bar Boost

Post by 300sx »

thanx for compliments guys, and dont worry about splitting threads veecee , brake info is brake info.. 8)
300zx fairlady 1991

Q-mech
Slipping Clutch

Post by Q-mech »

Hey 300sx, Must commend you on an awesome thread, you really did an amazing job. as you, I'm hunting for a beak setup for my sx i just have a few questions.

1. What are you running on the back?
2. Why did you go for cross drilled apposed to cross slotted rotors?
3. you mentioned in your original post that the old shape elantra ran the same breaks as the s13, is this true for the rear brakes as well?
Lag? What's that?
174kw s13
162kw G2 turbo
294kw Calibra turbo

rat
Administrator
Car: R32
Engine: RB

Post by rat »

Q-mech wrote:Hey 300sx, Must commend you on an awesome thread, you really did an amazing job. as you, I'm hunting for a beak setup for my sx i just have a few questions.

2. Why did you go for cross drilled apposed to cross slotted rotors?
3. you mentioned in your original post that the old shape elantra ran the same breaks as the s13, is this true for the rear brakes as well?
i can answer question 3. They take the same front pads. Rear they are using a drum setup iirc
Hot Plates are Sexy

300sx
0.8 Bar Boost

Post by 300sx »

the back is still standard s13 items, ideally you want 300zx items here, but they are hard to find, not to even mention the discs.. also im thinking that if you put 2 pot backs on, you will def. have to swap out your brake master cylinder too, the stock feels like it barely supplies enough fluid for 4 pots front and standard back. in fact that is the next thing on my list, a 300zx master cylinder.
Why did you go for cross drilled apposed to cross slotted rotors?
this was purely for cosmetic purposes, i doubt it does much for braking as modern pads supposedly does not gas out much. cross-drilling actually weakens the disc and under extreme use cracks might develop. do not confuse cross-DRILLED discs with those say for instance on the new m3's or z4's , those discs are CAST with the holes in, which makes a big differance to relieving stresses and cracking. that said, bmw obviously believe there is something to be gained from crossdrilled disc,they put them on their performance cars.. slotted discs are fine, but they will half your pad life..
you mentioned in your original post that the old shape elantra ran the same breaks as the s13, is this true for the rear brakes as well?
nope, just the fronts are the same as far as i know.. 8)

having driven with this setup for a while now, i have not felt any brake bias problems, it just feels sometimes as if there is not enough pedal stroke.. thus i want to fit a bigger master cylinder.. otherwise it feels fine.
300zx fairlady 1991

SuperBaas
0.2 Bar Boost

?

Post by SuperBaas »

whats the autozone part number of those murano discs