newbee: No power

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

THEO 3K - ZN
0.1 Bar Boost
Car: S13

newbee: No power

Post by THEO 3K - ZN »

Hi guys, im new here, very lovely forum.
gt my stock stock 200sx s13, 2 weeks ago,

about a week ago, the car jus started loosing power, its not boosting at all, no spooling or wing noise.

Went to speed shop, they checked and said must book it for next week cos dey going on software coures.

But im dieing to use the car.

Any suggestions?

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

theres a hole in your bucket dear liza dear liza theres a hole in your bucket dear liza a hole
well how do you fix it dear henry dear henry well how do you fix it dear henry fix it?
go through all your piping dear liza dear liza, go through your piping dear liza, piping
what the fuck are you talking dear henry dear henry, what the fuck are you talking dear henry talking?
theres a LEAK in your piping dear liza dear liza, theres a leak in your piping dear liza A LEAK!!!
well how do you fix it dear henry dear henry well how do you fix it dear henry fix it?
well check the flippen CLAMPS dear newbie dear newbie (ok ok now thats nasty)
my guess is that somewhere around the turbo/intercooler the clamp has jumped off because of boost, or theres a hole in a pipe - open bonnet, grab the revver and listen for PSSST - most probably
next, is there a dump valve/waste gate installed - maybe its stuck open
hell, or something!

maybe i just like typing! :roll:

ps welcome! tell more about you two - we need new blood - we are growing extra arms and eyes due to incesticism (if there is such a word)

Riekert
The Overlord
Engine: VQ

Post by Riekert »

Somewhere in widows comments there are a lot of sense.... you just have to find it.... :shock:
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Hey dude, power or not you joining us for the breakfast run in Durbs this coming weekend? :)
Red 200SX S13, 1992, stock. <a href="/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=332">Engine rebuilt (click)</a>.

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

come on dudes...

he said there is no turbo noise at all... dear widow dear window!!!

he specifically said there is no boost, no spooling!!!
and for some reason he said no WING NOISE???

now although i am not sure what wing noise is (i dont have my pilots licence yet!) the clues surrounding the no boost and no spooling comments seem clear.

the turbo is not spinning.

sounds like my sx when i first bought it. it ran like a dog, because the turbo wasnt spinning at all.

the reason, you ask??? it seems that the clowns at SAC midrand used far too much firegum when installing the turbo after they had replaced it (info direct from previous owner!) and it had ooozed so much into the turbo that it had caught itself between the exhaust wheel blades and the exhaust scroll housing.

no spinning wheel, dear liza, no spinning...

to resolve it, you ask???

*in my gayest accent* TRY SPINNING!!!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

THEO 3K - ZN
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by THEO 3K - ZN »

]Dear Liza, lmao, i checked all of that dude, only the vacuum pipe from the airbox pipe was out, i put it back.

Yes I wud love to join ur'll 4 the breakfast run.

Vc, 2day the car is spooling but no power, i got no boost gauge, nor a bov.

Heard a hissing noise yesterday, took it to the xhaust pple, they sed the hissing is from the turbo. nt good to hear.
[/i]

The manifold gaskets betw the head and the one betw the turbo were replaced last week. but the is stiil performing theafte the repair

THEO 3K - ZN
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by THEO 3K - ZN »

If the turbo is spooling, does it mean its boosting? if theres no power.

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

what exactly do you mean by spooling???

turbo's hiss and whine and make all sorts of noises. accept it. but learn to know which are bad noises and which are not!!!

if you think its boosting and you have no power, then it could be all sorts of problems, and we will need more info so that we can give good advice!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

How sure are you that the compression wheel is spinning....?

take the air intake pipe off and start the car....see if it's spinning....start there then start to elimenate.....it might be that your waste gate stays open.....is the actuator arm still connected to the waste gate arm.....if that cerclip came off the car won't boost....

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

the circlip doesnt stop the car from boosting...

the circlip prevents the wastegate arm from falling off of the wastegate. if the circlip comes loose, it doesnt necessarily mean the car will stop boosting.

but it wont be long before the arm comes off, and you run into trouble!

sorry - splitting hairs again, i know.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

I say this because it happend to me.....if the cerclip comes off it's a matter of boosting 2 times before the arm comes off...then no power

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

ya its happened to me to...

stoopid circlips!

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac
Engine: SR

Post by Charlvdw »

Mine is kept in place by a piece of copper wire, it aint going nowhere.

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Charlvdw wrote:Mine is kept in place by a piece of copper wire, it aint going nowhere.
Well now, that's a pity 'cos I'd at least expect it to go wherever your car goes...
Red 200SX S13, 1992, stock. <a href="/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=332">Engine rebuilt (click)</a>.

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

Post by Vlade »

Yeah process of elimination...

1. Check your actuator arm, before dismantling stuff, it should face vertical and the arm must be at the bottom as in the image Image

you should not be able to move this by your hand... also check that the actuator has its little pipe connected...

2. Start the car, and remove the intake pipe, check if the turbo is spinning... if its not you got kak... Turn the car off and try spin it by hand... dont burn your self, if you can't turn it by hand it either seized up, or something is preventing it from spinning like in VeeCee's case

3. Your turbo is spinning, but you got no powa... and you hear a whistle noise, as the revs move up... that means you got a boost leak yo! Start double checking all your piping making sure all the pipes are nicely connected, one area that often catches the guys out is the ilde air pipe on top of the fan shroud follow it make sure everything else is connected.

4. Also per no 3, follow the pipe from the fan shroud... Look at the picture below, just be low the throttle body there is a squarish connector thing (right next to the plug) with a pipe going in on the one end and leaving the other... if that thing is dirty it can stay open, also draining your powa

Car idles nicely no hiccups? Just no powa?
Hairdresser MX5