No boost

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

harleyzx1400
0.1 Bar Boost
Car: S13
Engine: SR

No boost

Post by harleyzx1400 »

Driving home yesterday at about 120 when we overtook another car and the methanol light came on too soon. Then the "noise" started, almost like a boost pipe was blowing. Stopped and looked, but found nothing wrong. Then the boost disappeared to 0.3 bar and when idling at -.7. The car goes ok but just no turbo power. Maybe a turbo gasket, or is it what I hope it isn't? No smoking or anything, just a funny noise at 3000rpm. Any ideas? The turbo has only done about 14 000km and it was new from Turbo Direct. Thanks.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Re: No boost

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

well worth a look to check all the exhaust gaskets double check all boost pipes are fine check for craks in your mani or around wastgate while you at it check for a vacuum leak
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

harleyzx1400
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by harleyzx1400 »

I have checked all of the boost pipes and vacuum pipes, and the more I think about it, the more I am 'hoping' it is the turbo gasket that has blown. This seems to be quite a common problem when boosting at 1.2 bar, apparently. It does get so hot under the bonnet I hope the turbo housing has not cracked. It is just impossible to get to it without a lift cause it is so low. Will see next Wednesday as it is going in then to check. Thanks for the info.

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

maybe record the sound? does it does like blowing exhaust or does it sound like fresh air boost leak? can u smell any exhaust gas out of the ordinary in the engine bay? perhaps internal wastegate? check that the rod hasnt come loose off of the flap on exhaust housing, perhaps even a hole in your intercooler, soapy water solution over the boost pipes and intercooler can help u check for leaks if you rev it up and see bubbles. but turbo flange gasket leaking will be pretty obvious as itl be quite loud around that area.

harleyzx1400
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by harleyzx1400 »

OK, it is the turbo flange gasket. The bolts are loose and gasket blowing quite badly. Strangely enough, you could not hear while idling or blipping the throttle, only under load. That's a bit of good news for the start of 2014.