Cluster gone dead. Please help

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

jdm200sx
0.1 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Cluster gone dead. Please help

Post by jdm200sx »

Hi guys. The speedo,rev counter,heat gauge and warning lamps have just died on my sx. I checked all the fuses in the car and under the bonnet, stripped out the cluster and checked the plugs already. No luck with getting anything going. The fuel gauge still works though. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well-preserved piece...but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, and defiantly shouting "wow, what a ride."

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Re: Cluster gone dead. Please help

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

hmm check grounding maybe do the lights come on?
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

jdm200sx
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by jdm200sx »

The lights,clock and fuel gauge works. When i switch on ignition the warning light stay off. Checking the ground wires now. Could the problem be related to not get power from the ignition switch?:-?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well-preserved piece...but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, and defiantly shouting "wow, what a ride."

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

dont see how it would you speedo comes from your gbox and your tach from your ecu so the fact that the both dont work is weird suggests a ground issue or something along those lines
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

jdm200sx
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by jdm200sx »

True that. Im checking the wiring for any breaks or issues. It just suddenly went dead yesterday driving back from lamberts bay. Wasnt very comforting know the heat gauge and oil light is not working

k.y.l.e.
Over Boosting
Engine: RB

Post by k.y.l.e. »

If you could find a sombody with a working cluster just to pop into your car just to make sure that its not the cluster that would help you narrow down the fault finding process,im sure sombody on the forum has a spare one you can test, also when you check your fuses use a multimeter and set it to continuity and check if get continuity between the two points, it has happend to me were the fuse was blown but you could not see with the eye is was blown and the multimeter helpd me. [smilie=200sx_200sx.gif]
My LuGnuts have more torque than your honda.
EX=toyota corolla 160i 93'model
Current car=s13 200sx with s14 motor sr20det v.v.t.

jdm200sx
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by jdm200sx »

I'll see what i can do today. Gave up on it lastnight before i broke something. Firstly get a multimeter to do those checks. Thank you guys so far for all the advise.

jdm200sx
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by jdm200sx »

Found the problem. Cluster was getting no power from the ignition when switching the key on. Ran 10amp fused line from the ignition wire under the steering column to the screw at the back of the cluster marked "ign". Now it works :grin: Thanks once again for the advice guys

k.y.l.e.
Over Boosting
Engine: RB

Post by k.y.l.e. »

Awsome bud glad its working
My LuGnuts have more torque than your honda.
EX=toyota corolla 160i 93'model
Current car=s13 200sx with s14 motor sr20det v.v.t.

Hotstuff
Club Rep

Post by Hotstuff »

Once the problem is solved, the solution appears obvious. Glad u got it sorted
'92 White S13

jdm200sx
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by jdm200sx »

Lol. True story. Sometimes overthinking things also complicates a simple solution. Went as far as thinking i would have to strip out dashboard :roll:

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

nice!

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

jdm200sx wrote:Sometimes overthinking things also complicates a simple solution.
EPIC!

story of my life...