Propshaft Issues

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Propshaft Issues

Post by troopiec »

Hi guys, well ive got a problem with my propshaft, I never had any vibration on it but when i was redoing the gearbox bearings i noticed the prop bearing was a bit worn so i decided to take the prop in for a service, had a new bearing installed and they balanced it for a total cost of R800, i finished the car up and drove it home from my friends workshop, and noticed a horrible vibration between 60-80kmh and still very noticable at higher speeds but not as bad, so i phoned the guy and he said i could bring the prop back, however i had to leave for Pretoria for 7weeks and when i got back i sold my T25 to a friend in need as i was going to upgrade soon anyways, so the car is standing and im deciding what to do about the prop now, i can take it back to those guys and have it "fixed" or i can go the route Dylan went recently and have a solid propshaft made up for what he said was R500. Im thinking a Solid prop will be simpler and less to go wrong and vibrate plus in future it may yield higher power, also im not too keen on taking my prop back to those guys as theres 2 guys i heard had the same issue with those people and took the prop off and back to them more than twice, i really dont have the time and energy to deal with such issues.

What do you guys think? is a solid prop a good idea on a CA18det? may it solve my issues? i know for a fact the prop is installed correctly and evenly tightened etc etc. must be the peoples balancing that made trouble.

Any advice would be good, as this is the only issue with the car worrying me at the back of my mind each time i spend money now to sort out turbo.

Skylinefreak
0.5 Bar Boost
Car: Other
Engine: RB

Re: Propshaft Issues

Post by Skylinefreak »

I'm guessing you mean a 1-piece prop? Solid will never work, propshafts are always hollow tube.

I've been having an endless headache with propshaft vibration - I've tried everything else that you can imagine to pinpoint the propshaft as the source. I've been to 4 different propshaft shops and even Fulrace and none could sort it out yet. My next stop will be Propshaft Master in Edenvale, hopefully they can sort it out once and for all!

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Post by troopiec »

Yip I mean 1-piece prop sorry, its a crap story, really regret having it balanced that time, shoudve just left it as it was as it wasnt vibrating atall. Did you try going the 1-piece prop route?

Skylinefreak
0.5 Bar Boost
Car: Other
Engine: RB

Post by Skylinefreak »

Mine was 1-piece from factory, we just got rid of the rubber insert that went bad over time. Now just need to find a place that can balance it properly!