S14 Rev Gauge Problem

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

fuzz123
0.3 Bar Boost
Car: S14
Engine: SR

S14 Rev Gauge Problem

Post by fuzz123 »

Not sure if any of you had this problem before but my rev gauge suddenly stopped working. It slowly picks up as you drive over time and when it hits the mark where no rev counter should go it bounces back to 0 and starts over.

I've had an auto electrician check the wires that goes to the gauge and they are all fine(he even picked up the pulses that goes to the gauge that should make it move), I've opened it(the speedo cluster) up and and cleaned the contacts etc. I've read online that sometimes the solder goes dry and resoldering the dry points will work but my gauge does not look the same at the back.

Any other ideas of what to troubleshoot would help, I dont want to buy a new gauge and then it's not the problem. :?: :|

fuzz123
0.3 Bar Boost
Car: S14
Engine: SR

Re: S14 Rev Gauge Problem

Post by fuzz123 »

Just as an update should anyone experience this problem.

I ended up getting a replacement rev gauge from djtreble and it worked perfectly from the start, so this eliminated any possibility that the problem was with 1 of my sensors picking up the revs. Upon further investigation on the back of the Rev gauge's green board I found a brown solution on the board over the parts where the "wires" inside of the green board goes through. I would say this is a sort of rust on the board itself. I removed this solution with a flat screw driver and tested the rev gauge again, it worked pretty good again. Now I have the extra rev gauge but I dont mind... the white looks good anyway :)