MAF ~ Dump valve...

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Twakkie
Slipping Clutch
Car: S13

MAF ~ Dump valve...

Post by Twakkie »

Okay lets see if we can get this sorted for once and for all. if you install a dump valve in a standard setup (CA) the air intake is calculated at the MAF which is located at the very beginning of the system, then if you dump that air which had already been accounted for the management system will fuel for that air as if it is there which results in temporarily over fueling causing a little black smoke puff when shifting (which looks tappet). and if you don't use a dump valve and boost over 0.8bar its hazardous to your turbo.

however i have seen motors even a CA without a MAF!? just a pipe between the turbo and the air filter. How does that work?

rat
Administrator
Car: R32
Engine: RB

Re: MAF ~ Dump valve...

Post by rat »

Management that uses a map sensor instead of a maf.
Hot Plates are Sexy

Twakkie
Slipping Clutch

Post by Twakkie »

Where is the map sensor located then vs. the maf location

Daniel
200SX Maniac

Post by Daniel »

Twakkie wrote:Okay lets see if we can get this sorted for once and for all. if you install a dump valve in a standard setup (CA) the air intake is calculated at the MAF which is located at the very beginning of the system, then if you dump that air which had already been accounted for the management system will fuel for that air as if it is there which results in temporarily over fueling causing a little black smoke puff when shifting (which looks tappet).
yes
Twakkie wrote:and if you don't use a dump valve and boost over 0.8bar its hazardous to your turbo.
I know the members on this forum strongly believe that to be the case. There is lots of internet debate on this topic, I disagree that it is a problem at all, 0.8 - 1bar is not high boost. The turbo will be fine at these levels as it is not true surge, and surge is the killer. Having said that I will always recommend a recirculating BOV to somebody. IMHO of course.
Twakkie wrote:however i have seen motors even a CA without a MAF!? just a pipe between the turbo and the air filter. How does that work?
They run a MAP sensor as apposed to a MAF sensor.
sig[/sig]

rat
Administrator

Post by rat »

Depends on the management but it takes a vacuum / boost from the manifold.

So dumping air doesn't affect it.
Hot Plates are Sexy

Daniel
200SX Maniac

Post by Daniel »

bah, beaten to it by a damn dirty rat :facepalm: :P :lol:
sig[/sig]

rat
Administrator

Post by rat »

Bwahahaha.
Hot Plates are Sexy

Twakkie
Slipping Clutch

Post by Twakkie »

AAA shot oaks!!

300sx
0.8 Bar Boost

Post by 300sx »

I know the members on this forum strongly believe that to be the case. There is lots of internet debate on this topic, I disagree that it is a problem at all, 0.8 - 1bar is not high boost. The turbo will be fine at these levels as it is not true surge, and surge is the killer. Having said that I will always recommend a recirculating BOV to somebody. IMHO of course.
agree with daniel, imho the use of a bov on a street turbo setup is very much over rated.. i personally never use them, can honestly say never noticed reduced turbo life because of a little reversion.. far more important to make sure you dont overspeed a turbo, or push it into surge due to mismatch..
300zx fairlady 1991
200sx s13 with vg30det @ 1bar

phoenix s14
Over Boosting
Car: S14
Engine: SR

Post by phoenix s14 »

Ok I heard what everyone said but run a dump valve and recirculate it. If you dont want to do that then change the management and run a map sensor.

Better lag and turbo life when running a BOV. Low or high boost. Think to yourself - 80000rpm+ then getting stopped and back spun. Then stopped and spun the other way.... umm bearing life/ seals? thrust collars? So do it right or risk it... really your gamble with a couple of grand it could work or it couldn't.

Hope that helps... but as even veilside says: "We do not fit unnessesary equipment like BOV to our race cars but then again the turbos don't last that long due to it. But on a race car that is acceptable"

[smilie=200sx_200sx.gif]
Weight kills all the fun - Jeremy Clarkson

300sx
0.8 Bar Boost

Post by 300sx »

Think to yourself - 80000rpm+ then getting stopped and back spun. Then stopped and spun the other way....
thats a little bit of an exageration bud.. no ways in hell that the reversion will stop the impeller, never mind spin it backwards on gearchange or even on deceleration..

:)
300zx fairlady 1991
200sx s13 with vg30det @ 1bar