LSD Diiff

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

antoniejordaan
0.1 Bar Boost
Car: S14
Engine: RB

LSD Diiff

Post by antoniejordaan »

Where can i get one?

I hear alot of stories, but lets just say to me it sounds a bit weird.
Some say weld the diff, WTF do they mean by that,

Avarage price for a good LSD for my 240sx S14

THE DREAM OF SPEED

phoenix s14
Over Boosting
Engine: SR

Re: LSD Diiff

Post by phoenix s14 »

Looking at R12000 for a replacement clutch diff by Kaaz. 1.5 or 2way. but apparently they kick up a bit of noise and also not really for a street car. But if you run alot of track days and drifting then they cool - apparently. Also your car should have an LSD in it just is a viscous LSD and not a mechanical LSD. Have been told by some pros to use a helical LSD for track days and street but not for drifting. Also if you weld the diff I would honestly not use it on the street some do but you are scrubbing your tyres just about permanently... looking for answers myself on this though but thats what my research has dug up.

So the verdict:
1. you have an LSD in your car but if like me might be stuffed as the VLSD fluid goes "off" and then stop working.
2. an HLSD (helical LSD - also fitted oem to S15) works great on the road and track as it gives you alot of traction. but can react like a open diff if 1 wheel looses traction completely. - so not great for drifting but very good for track and street use
3. Mechanical LSD or clutch LSDs are available in 1 way, 1.5 way and 2 way.
* 1 way diffs lock quite aggressively under acceleration but are open diffs under no acceleration/deceleration. Can cause understeer under acceleration (often used in FWD)

* 1.5 way diffs lock under acceleration and provides some lock under deceleration can cause understeer under acceleration and deceleration (RWD and AWD mostly)

* 2 way diffs generally lock more aggressively due to more clutch plates and has the same amount of lock during acceleration and deceleration - also not recommended for street use at all as slow sharp corners will cause the diff to lock and unlock continuously through the corner as it is not built to do that.
(Drifting mostly but also used on very serious track cars)

anyway happy hunting... I myself looking for more info...
Weight kills all the fun - Jeremy Clarkson

phoenix s14
Over Boosting

Post by phoenix s14 »

oh and by the way welding the diff will lock the left and right wheels together. A solid axle in other words... This is done by welding the internal gears of the diff (sun and planetary gears) together so there is no slip between left and right. Can cause huge understeer and then huge oversteer once rear traction is lost. The locked diff also ensures that one wheel does not grip and the other not... they both grip or both slip - hence why the drifters use this method.

antoniejordaan
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by antoniejordaan »

Thanx that helps alot, so if i want to do a bit of both, drift and drag, will the stock one be good enough.

And power wise what can these handle?

THE DREAM OF SPEED

phoenix s14
Over Boosting

Post by phoenix s14 »

not much and no... the vlsd is not really made for use in motorsport and if you are going all out fit a 2 way. otherwise fit a 1.5way for some streetability or if yours is still working just keep using it if you use the car alot on the street. Really depends how seriously you going to use the car for racing/drifting or if you just going to weekend warrior with it. :lol:

antoniejordaan
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by antoniejordaan »

it will be just for now and then, bring it out for a drift here and there or a drag once a month.

So you say about 12k for a good diff, that can handle power, in the region of about 300kw plus

THE DREAM OF SPEED

phoenix s14
Over Boosting

Post by phoenix s14 »

yup is maar duur chom... :lol: also I am not sure noisy the 1.5 is either since I think you are looking for the same thing I am. However have seen the helicals in action in drags and they are very good. Drifting the expensive ones are much better apparently. Since I am not going to be drifting my car and can't afford new motors every now and then I am strongly considering the Helical from the S15 especially since Rezlo recommended it and use one himself on his track/race car... Drifting requires a bit more and thus a 1.5 or better even a 2 way is needed but a 2way does not like any street like driving... very confusing but I recon the best thing is a 1.5 if you can otherwise if you don't really drift then the S15 helical.

antoniejordaan
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by antoniejordaan »

so waar kry ons dit, het jy n link vir n website?

THE DREAM OF SPEED

phoenix s14
Over Boosting

Post by phoenix s14 »

You can try all the guys that import stuff... Import Parts was the cheapest with the Kaaz LSD... But Rezlo is about the same price... well when I checked. :lol:

Not sure about their sites... think importparts.co.za and shop.rezlo.com/sa/index.php please note Rezlo and Import parts need to order them first and it takes 2-3weeks... :shock: