Turbo on the amps

Discuss your In-car entertainment, interior accessories, and body kits here.

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

qewrty
0.4 Bar Boost
Car: S14
Engine: SR

Turbo on the amps

Post by qewrty »

I have 2amps in my car. There's a really irritating whining electronic noise coming through to the speakers though.

The power and other cables are seperated but the amp input and speaker wires are still running close to each other.

It's not a huge issue but I would like to sort it out. Any suggestions?

Gary57
Club Rep
Car: S13

Post by Gary57 »

It sounds like you have supression.

Are the wires run on opposite side of the car?? You can get this metal shield that reduces supression but is a kak job to fit.

I would personally make sure the amps are earthed seperate from each other. Find out which amp is causing most of the supression and fit a supression blocker to its line.

Also make sure that your earth cable is not longer than half a meter and is not smaller than 8 gauge wire.

qewrty
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by qewrty »

Gary57 wrote:It sounds like you have supression.

Are the wires run on opposite side of the car?? You can get this metal shield that reduces supression but is a kak job to fit.

I would personally make sure the amps are earthed seperate from each other. Find out which amp is causing most of the supression and fit a supression blocker to its line.

Also make sure that your earth cable is not longer than half a meter and is not smaller than 8 gauge wire.
Input and speaker wires runs together, power is completely seperate.

Will check these things and let you know how it goes.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Power and remote wire need to be seperate.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Your rca cables and all 12v power cables must be seperate, the power and remote can run together but it must not run with rca's, your ground vables must also not run next to power, if that is not your problem it might be an earth problem, check all your earth cables and connections, if that is not the problem it is picking up noise from your altinator.

Your earth cables on the amps must be at least as thick as your power cables and as short as possible to the clean body, all amps and radio and all equipment must have it's own ground, by that I meen do not connect other earth wires to 1 and just connect the 1, you can use the same place in the body but all cables must go there seperately.
Last edited by Draco on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Power and remote wire need to be seperate.
Should be seperate from your input and speaker wires.
Your rca cables and all power cables must be seperate, if that is not your problem it might be an earth problem, check all your earth cables and connections, if that is not the problem it is pixking up noise from your altinator.

Your earth cables on the amps must be at least as thick as your power cables and as short as possible to the clean body all amps and radio and all equipment must have it's own ground, by that I meen do not connect other earth wires to 1 and just connect the 1, you can use the same place in the body but all cables must go there seperately.
SNAP, you just said it a bit better.

qewrty
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by qewrty »

Draco wrote:Your rca cables and all 12v power cables must be seperate, the power and remote can run together but it must not run with rca's, your ground vables must also not run next to power, if that is not your problem it might be an earth problem, check all your earth cables and connections, if that is not the problem it is picking up noise from your altinator.

Your earth cables on the amps must be at least as thick as your power cables and as short as possible to the clean body, all amps and radio and all equipment must have it's own ground, by that I meen do not connect other earth wires to 1 and just connect the 1, you can use the same place in the body but all cables must go there seperately.
I think I can reduce the ground wire length somewhat, but everything else is as you guys said it should be.

If it is coming from the alternator what can I do?

I thought of building in a switch and even a 2nd battery. The switch would prevent flow from the alternator to the 2nd battery, thereby providing a clean circuit for the amps. The 2nd battery can also be used for my camera when I attend events. The LCD screen on the camera chows up the batteries and I can't get all 8GB filled up before the battery dies. Of course buying a 2nd Sony battery would be more convenient but its expensive, I can buy 5 car batteries for the price of 1 Sony camera battery.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Fit one of those supressor blockers, they work quite well.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Try installing a thicker cable from your alternator to your battery, also increase the thickness of you battery earth cable.

qewrty
0.4 Bar Boost

hmm

Post by qewrty »

Well now that gives me about 3 or 4 things to try. Thanks guys..

The Calibrator
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by The Calibrator »

Take the amps out they add weight :)

ChemCool
SX Forumholic

Post by ChemCool »

Take the amps out they add weight
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
COOLER, FASTER, LIGHTER
www.wappage.mobi AGENTS NEEDED URGENTLY!

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

That is the reason my thousands of rands equipment is laying in my closet gathering dust. :cry: